UArts in Philly

IveGottaBeME
#0UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/12/05 at 7:33pm

Hello. I've decided to go to UArts in Philly next year for musical theater and was wondering what anyone thought about it... Please don't just bash it if you have no idea about it. I think it's in a great part of the city and a lot of people I know say it's so great.. But I would love to knwo what everyone else thought. Also, who all went there? Anyone on Bway or film? I know that Justin Guarini and Jared Leto went there, and the girl from the Blair Witch Project lol.. but anyone else? I really hope I love it, but I can always transfer if I don't.
Thanks!

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#1re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/12/05 at 8:14pm

tallia brimson from the rent tour is a recent graduate. I've heard great things about that school. Oh and you might be seeing the one and only jonart there. Well more specifically at the merriam theater and tower, i don't actually attend.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

IveGottaBeME
#2re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/12/05 at 8:27pm

cool. thanks for replying.. anyone else?

IveGottaBeME
#3re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 2:14pm

??

kitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
#4re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 5:44pm

i auditioned there and got a bad feeling about the school .. the auditor told me a bunch of ridiculous things like "the hands are the most expressive part of your body." - a couple people i know that go there really love it, a couple really don't. i saw their musical a few years back and it was very strong. basically with auditioning for schools, i'd say go and audition and see how you personally feel about the school.

iluvtheatertrash
#5re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 5:48pm

I've been told by students that have transferred out that UArts is very concerned with their students doing well academically. They'd rather have smart students with mediocre talent than talented students with mediocre math skills.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

TheColorOfFlame
#6re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 5:55pm

Oh, please - I'm sure it's not that they WANT their theatre students to be mediocre. They probably have relatively high academic standards to maintain, and want their theatre students to excel in both concentrations. Besides, doing well in your academics makes your acting work more fulfilling :)

"I am the sound of distant thunder, the color of flame." CARRIE the Musical

YeahRight
#7re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 6:40pm

Know two people who went there. I know two people who left.

futurewinnerbud
#8re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 6:53pm

the school COULD NOT be concerned with their academic performance. A school that is cutting out their math requirements and only has an advergae entering freshman GPA of 2.8 seems like a school that cares more about the artistic aspects of college. There really strict when it comes ot the humanities I hear, though (history, english, writing).

IveGottaBeME
#9re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 7:06pm

cool. My friends friend goes there and is or was in the Thoroughly Modern Millie tour... and my friends whos in Wicked tells me that a lot of people love UARts... i'm just nervous lol

ASOOS04
#10re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 7:22pm

My boyfriend went to UArts as a dance major for one year and dropped out. I was also just out on the National Tour of Oliver! and a girl in the cast with me graduated. She loved it. My boyfriend did say that it is in kind of a sketchy neighborhood though.

crp2000 Profile Photo
crp2000
#11re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 8:32pm

I'm in Philly and know/work with lots of UArts students. It's in center city Philly - the area IS NOT considered 'sketchy'. Short walk from lots of shopping, eating, & more importantly - THEATERS!! Best Of Luck To You!!

ASOOS04
#12re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 8:33pm

I stand corrected. I have never been there. Best of Luck of course.

crp2000 Profile Photo
crp2000
#13re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 8:38pm

I should also add that it's only a few short blocks from the "GayBorHood". re: UArts in Philly

IveGottaBeME
#14re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 9:33pm

thx

Dextrous Existence
#15re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 10:48pm

One of my best friends received the Presidential Scholarship to UArts for the fall. He is incredibly talented and will definitely go far.

IveGottaBeME
#16re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/14/05 at 11:01pm

i got the pres scholarship too

Chitty Profile Photo
Chitty
#17re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/15/05 at 2:47pm

Look at a real 4 yr school that offers a musical theater major:

Uof Michigan...Oklahoma City University...UCLA....NYU

amourdujour Profile Photo
amourdujour
#18re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/15/05 at 4:39pm

I went to a musical theater summer precollege program there and had the time of my life. Of course, that isn't the same as school. Philidelphia is a wonderful city, and I had a great time there. As far as academics, I can't say for sure, but I liked the program I did.

http://medialiciousmusings.blogspot.com/

itstheM Profile Photo
itstheM
#19re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/15/05 at 4:49pm

I was also accepted to UArts this year for musical theater and got a pres scholarship, but I decided not to go. I talked to as many people as I could before I made a decision and they all said basically the same thing: UArts has a sketchy reputation. You never see anyone from UArts on Broadway. Also when I went to the open house, I didn't think the student performances were very good.

Baby, dream your dream Close your eyes and try it!

IveGottaBeME
#20re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/15/05 at 6:10pm

Everyone I've talked to who goes there said they love it and rave about it.. I might just go for a year and transfer, but I'm definitely going for a year..

kitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
#21re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/15/05 at 6:19pm

chitty ... look at a real 4 year school? what makes UArts not a real 4 year school?

we're not talking about AMDA, or anything.

Snoopy Profile Photo
Snoopy
#22re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/15/05 at 6:22pm

Eveyone who goes there says they love it?

Wow...how amazing! How rare that people who actually go there would only tell you they like it.

I second the recommendation..look at a real musical theater school. They gave a good list.

Suppertime! Suppertime!!

IveGottaBeME
#23re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 5/15/05 at 7:06pm

people dont always love the school they go to... i know a lot of people who hate where they go. I'm not going to Point Park because I'm there all the time and it bores me. My friend who went to NYU and is in Wicked told me to try UArts because she knows a lot of people who love it. I jsut wanted to see what anyone else thought

champzboy Profile Photo
champzboy
#24re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:35am

I am going to UARTS in the fall for MT too and I LOVE the program. Its an amazing program, I have many friends who go/went there who love it and MANY ppl are working professionally from UARTS: LaChanze (Color Purple), Courtney Mazza (Millie Tour), Jason Marquette and Vanessa Sonon (42nd St. Tour), Shannon Strodel, Jonathan Rodriquez (Junie B Jones Nat'l Tour), Tara White, Kristin Ledingham, Ben Dibble, AnnaMarie Vukmanovich (Oliver Tour)...so basically, the school produces solid graduates who ARE working in the field. but every school is different. I dont believe there is a "best" school for M.T. b/c everyone wants different things. but I was accepted at several top schools and chose UARTS...so yeah, go there! later!

Videos