News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Is Piazza that good?

bwayballerina
#25re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:35am

This is slightly off topic-ish, but it is Piazza related, and I didn't want to start a new thread for it...
Do you think that Piazza will extend and/or tour (b/c of the Tonys, or even not b/c of them). I am absolutely in love with this show, but there is no way I am going to be able to see it unless it extends (like until March of next year) or it tours.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#26re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:36am

I think one thing that was great about Piazza is the theatre itself - the thrust stage of the Beaumont helped the beauty of Piazza a lot.

I suppose it depends on what Lincoln center has planned next.

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#27re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:38am

Oh I did adore the theater...It was my first time there...It was a nice suprise that my tickets were row F(side) and it ended up being 4th row...I really need to start checking seating charts

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

tpdc
#28re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:39am

PIAZZA is a rewarding show that deserved its Tonys. It's not perfect. If like the Drama Desks, the music and lyric categories had been separate, I don't know that PIAZZA would have won lyrics. Still, quibbles aside, I'd would recomend the show.

The performance choices for the Tonys were smart. They picked the two most traditional, happy musical numbers and probably sold tickets with the blend of melody, storytelling and romance showcased. Doing Fable would have been a repeat of CAROLINE's mistake doing Lot's Wife from last year and would have closed the show.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#29re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:40am

....except Victoria Clark would have been good.

I still say they should have done Octet...

bwayballerina
#30re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:42am

Octet would've been a good choice, but it could also be kind of counfusing to people that don't know anything about the show... I know it completely confused me the first time I heard it. I'm still a little confused, actually, since I haven't found a really good synopsis of the show...

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#31re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:42am

Well, what were you conused about? I'll try to un-confuse you.

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#32re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:44am

Octet would have been amazing...although less upbeat, Its a minute longer though, and that might have taken time away from Hugh and Arethras integral performance

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

bill mobley
#33re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 10:06am

As I watched the scenes from "Piazza" I kept wanting the music to be more beautiful than it actually was. The two women sung with such enthusiasm but the stuff they were singing was no Rogers and Hammerstein.
I started the show thinking that Spamalot was probably overrated, but for me, each routine I saw from that show worked, especially compared to the others. When songs from The Producers was performed on the Tony's a few years ago they didn't work nearly as well as those from Spamalot did last night. Those knights dancing around on stage in the first number was geniuinely hilarious.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#34re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 10:07am

Need to look for the recording today to put on my iPod.
It is out yet?

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#35re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 10:09am

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Updated On: 5/10/06 at 10:09 AM

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#36re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 10:21am

Yes, Piazza is that good. It's amazing. Victoria Clark is phenomenal and Kelli O'Hara is radiant.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#37re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 10:22am

I am tingling with anticipation.
Watched so much ballet the past two weeks I need the cure of a magical Broadway musical!

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#38re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 10:23am

Saw it for the second time on Saturday and cried like a baby. Have the recording on in the background and am getting chills. Enjoy!

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#39re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 10:25am

Oh, Bill Mobley, I must be alone in being thrilled that the score to Piazza is NOT Rodgers.
However, listen closely to the music in the title song to Piazza and you will hear very Rodgers-esque music.
Guettel is, hands down, the most musically accomplished composer working in theatre today and I can't wait for his next score.

apdarcey
#40re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 10:26am

it's magic. it is that good.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#41re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 10:28am

Stop everyone!!
You're giving me goose bumps!

Just kidding, don't stop!

chitown
#42re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:22am

Go with your instincts. I saw it in Chicago and it is quite boring. True, the sets, lights and costumes are lovely and the music (while overdone most of the time) is quite haunting and worth one listen through.....but the book is DREADFUL.

****SPOILERS BELOW****
I'm sorry, but when they announce that Clara was kicked in the head by a mule, I nearly fell out of seat laughing. What a ridiculous story for a musical!

True - Clark is lovely and she well deserved her Tony...and I'll even give the thumbs up to the awards for costume and lighting....but score? Not a chance. Then again, it doesn't hurt to be Richard Rodgers grandson. Let us never forget that Broadway is a money making venture and the Rodgers foundation certainly feeds its pocketbook.

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#43re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:25am

Someone mentioned finding a synopsis of the show...

can you point me in its direction if you find a good one? thanks! :)

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#44re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:27am

Even though Kelli didn't win, I was touched by her emotion to Victoria thanking her on stage!!!!!!

cathyhyatt
#45re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:29am

I liked what I saw last night. Even if the show is not what I expect if Kelli O'hara is in it, it has to be somewhat enjoyable.

I'm seeing it in 3 weeks...3rd row, center! Can't wait! Thank God for $20 tickets!!

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#46re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:32am

True - Clark is lovely and she well deserved her Tony...and I'll even give the thumbs up to the awards for costume and lighting....but score? Not a chance.

Ummm...I don't think that the musical made that up.

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#47re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:42am

I have seen two masterpieces this year--
Billy Elliot
Piazza*

*not a perfect book, but everything else about this production is a masterpiece

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#48re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:45am

midtowngym, you are right that the book isn't great, but they have certainly tightened it up. I saw it in previews and again on Saturday, and the book was so much better.

The show is such a masterpiece.

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#49re: Is Piazza that good?
Posted: 12/20/11 at 11:48am

just had to bump this in memory of GLEBB ... he loved this show so much <3

RIP glebby <3

Videos