News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?- Page 2

LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#25re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 7/5/05 at 8:12pm

Though I never want 'The Light in The Piazza' to close, I am very excited about Bernarda Alba.

There are three Bernarda Alba ballets (that I know of.)

Feast of Ashes (1962) by Alvin Ailey for The Joffrey Ballet

Las Hermanas (1963) by Kenneth MacMillan for The Stuttgart Ballet

Daughters of Mourning (1969) by Jean-Paul Comelin

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
Updated On: 7/5/05 at 08:12 PM

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#26re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 7/5/05 at 8:19pm

Seeing as Bernarda Alba was suggested for the Mitzi J. Newhouse, I don't see why it would interfere with Piazza, which plays the Vivian Beaumont.

MargoChanning
#27re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 7/5/05 at 8:33pm

The article doesn't specify, but I just assumed the show would be going into the Beaumont. Perhaps, I'm wrong.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#28re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 7/5/05 at 8:47pm

I think I remember reading that it would go into the Newhouse. I could also be wrong.

TheEnchantedHunter
#29re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 7/5/05 at 9:35pm

"If anyone can do this, and make it work, LaChiusa can."

I'm still waiting.

Vivian Darkbloom
Ramsdale, New England

kombatkoala
#30re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 7/5/05 at 11:30pm

Sounds like a must-see to me.

aegeusrocks Profile Photo
aegeusrocks
#31re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 7/6/05 at 1:13am

I'm pretty sure this one will be in the Newhouse...I seem to remember Broadway.com saying something about it awhile ago about it being workshopped in preparation for opening at the Newhouse.

Bwayfan
#32re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 7/6/05 at 12:38pm

I can't wait!!

Wonder when the cast will be announced?

apdarcey
#33re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 7/6/05 at 1:13pm

this is definitely a newhouse production:
"Works by Wasserstein, Nelson, LaChiusa, and Greenberg Set For 2005-2006 Mitzi Newhouse Season"

Jon
#34re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 7/6/05 at 1:38pm

How about a REAL legit mezzo like Julia Migenes?

apdarcey
#35re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 7/6/05 at 1:41pm

i've never liked her voice. her aldonza is atrocious... did anyone see her as harper in the angels in america opera?

MargoChanning
#36re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:01am

Phylicia Rashad?

From Theatremania:

"Phylicia Rashad, Daphne Rubin-Vega, Saundra Santiago, Sally Murphy, and Nikki M. James head the cast of Bernarda Alba, a new musical by Michael John LaChiusa based on Federico Garcìa Lorca's classic play The House of Bernarda Alba. Directed and choreographed by Graciela Daniele, the show will run February 11-April 9 at Lincoln Center's Mitzi Newhouse Theater and will open officially on March 9.

Bernarda Alba tells the story of a newly widowed mother (to be played by Rashad) who enforces her iron will on her unhappy daughters. Also cast in the musical are Yolande Bavan, Candy Buckley, Laura Shoop, and Nancy Ticotin. The creative team includes Christopher Barreca (sets), Toni Leslie-James (costumes), Stephen Strawbridge (lighting), Michael Starobin (orchestrations), and Deborah Abramson (musical direction).

LaChiusa is currently represented Off-Broadway by See What I Wanna See at The Public Theater. His other musicals include Marie Christine, Hello Again, First Lady Suite, and The Wild Party. Daniele is the director of the soon-to-open Broadway show Chita Rivera: The Dancer's Life; she previously directed Marie Christine, Dessa Rose, and Chronicle of a Death Foretold, all for Lincoln Center."

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/7168

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 11/22/05 at 12:01 AM

BSoBW2
#37re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:04am

Sally Murphy, Phylicia Rashad, and Nikki M. James.

LaChiusa - you've done it again!

Thanks Margs for the update.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#38re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:05am

Wow, I absolutely MUST see this.

BSoBW2
#39re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:23am

I am so happy for LaChiusa's success, blah blah blah, but now I have to fight the RENT crowds again because of Daphne!?

Dammit!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#40re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:28am

Ah, she's doing it!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Jazzysuite82
#41re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:30am

I think this is gonna be hot. LaChiusa AND Rashad. that's a team that I never would have thought of, but it would make total sense. Chita would be amazing too. She's the first one I thought of. By the way who said the role of Benarda had to be a mezzo?

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#42re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:32am

Oh, crap, BSO...I'm paranoid now because you said that directly after I commented.

As much as I love Daphne...what I really want to see is a new LaChiusa show. I'm hooked...I just want to see all his work that comes my way from now on.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#43re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 1:34am

I wonder how they are going to make a musical in which silence plays such a crucial part. I hope they release a cast album or that they have an open run. Very intrigued about the show, they should've gotten Chita Rivera to play Bernarda again.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BSoBW2
#44re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 1:49am

Bwaygirl - it wasn't towards you.

Just a general statement - well, to be honest, I opened the link AFTER posting the first time - and saw Daphne's name.

I don't think she has quite the support like Idina.

I am glad you have discovered LaChiusa and hope you go out and purchase his other recordings - including listening to Audra McDonald's beautiful concert of the 'Seven Deadly Sins' in which LaChiusa wrote a hilarious song for 'Anger' called - "The Christian Thing to Do." There is also a haunting song by Ahrens and Flaherty called "I Eat."

/unfocused whoring
Updated On: 11/22/05 at 01:49 AM

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
RentBoy86
#46re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 1:53am

Hm...i'm intrigued, this might be my off-broadway show of choice while i'm NYC....hm...I'll have to read reviews first. Is it weird that i'm more excited about seeing Niki M. James? ha.

BSoBW2
#47re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 1:54am

I am also, as Liotte is, excited to see Nikki again! She's got a great voice on her.

But, being a huge Cosby Show fan, I am happy to see Phylicia live!

RentBoy86
#48re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 2:00am

True, I just feel with so much talent on the stage I should be more excited to see the legends, esp. since i'm a HUGE RENT fan, but i dunno, I love Niki M. James - she's got an amazing voice. I hope she gets a couple big belty solo numbers!

Jazzysuite82
#49re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 2:04am

I got a chance to see Rashad in Gem of the Ocean. AMAZING. She was even better than she was in Raisin. Watching that woman is getting a masterclass in acting.

Videos