Forester
#25re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 5:11am

Evita

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#26re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 5:37am

Woman in White - probably because I saw it a few weeks ago and it's still very fresh in my mind
By Jeeves - it's very unlike the clichéd 'Lloyd Webber' fare and fits the show and the characters perfectly.
The Beautiful Game - I think it's something you have to see the whole show to apprecaite, it's very downbeat and understated, but the emotional climax in the finale got me every time...
Updated On: 7/22/05 at 05:37 AM

Sant
#27re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 6:44am

SUNSET BOULEVARD.

Then THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
CATS
WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND

iluvtheatertrash
#28re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 8:14am

1. Evita
2. Sunset BLVD
3. Woman in White
4. Song and Dance

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Lome2 Profile Photo
Lome2
#29re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 9:59am

- Woman in White
- The Beautiful Game
- Phantom (OLC)

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#30re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 10:05am

The Woman in White

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#31re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 10:10am

The Beautiful Game, hands down......
it's one of the few I believe you can hear the music and
"get it"

The Woman in White
JCS
Whistle Down the Wind
Evita

(did somebody actually say Cats? Ugh........)

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Lori
#32re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 10:20am

Phantom
Sunset Boulevard
Woman In White
Evita

I've never seen Cats and am set to see a Regional Theatre Production of it next week. To be honest, I'm afraid :0)

"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#33re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 10:38am

Evita
Phantom
Sunset
Beautiful Game (the music to this is incredible!)
Woman in White

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#34re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 10:53am

Evita and Superstar, well half of Superstar. The second half always bores me. Like much of Sunset. I need to get Woman in White as I have heard good buzz about its score.

And sometimes when I'm in a weird mood, I dance the opening number from Cats in my Cats shirt I got from a buck. I'm so odd.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#35re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 11:01am

I personally don't see how Sunset Boulevard or Aspects of Love can even be considered for best score. If the SCORE covers the entire show - all music -- both of those shows have SO much repetition in their melodies and recitative to make the full CDs almost unlistenable. Yes, I'd agree both have some fantastic songs, but as a full score, I don't think either of them ranks up there with JCS or Evita. Phantom has similar problems of repeated melodies, but it's not the recitative that does it, so to me that's a bit more acceptable.
I was glad to see he fixed the problem in the last three shows to some extent, though Whistle Down the Wind also has problems (but some of my favorite individual songs). Beautiful Game and Woman in White are both pretty good, though they both took a long time to grow on me - not something I think a good score should have to do since in the theater you hear it once.
Oh, Joseph and Song and Dance aren't bad either, though I don't think they live up to JCS or Evita.
Notice I didn't mention Cats or Starlight Express. At least I can say each has a couple of good songs (I judge a score by how much of it I'll put on my iPod, each of those got maybe five tracks, as opposed to JCS and Evita which are both on in full.)
I think ALW can write some fantastic songs -- but other than the two shows mentioned, I don't think any of his FULL scores work on the level of Sondheim, Lerner and Lowe, Loesser, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Kander and Ebb.....

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#36re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 11:05am

Tire tracks and broken hearts...

Hehe.

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#37re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 11:48am

Anyone notice that Tire Track and Broken Hearts from Whistle is really English Girls from Song and Dance?

chess12 Profile Photo
chess12
#38re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 11:50am

ASPECTS OF LOVE

joeybiltmore1
#39re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 12:44pm

JOSEPH is a lot of fun,

but I'll have to go with EVITA.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#40re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 12:57pm

"If the SCORE covers the entire show - all music -- both of those shows have SO much repetition in their melodies and recitative to make the full CDs almost unlistenable."

Phantom is the worst culprit in that respect. Only three new songs are introduced in the second act and the repeated melodies are used seemingly at random.

Aspects is my personal favorite.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 7/22/05 at 12:57 PM

gavrochegirl
#41re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 12:58pm

I actually like Phantom the best...followed closely by Joesph.

What the puck?!

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#42re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 1:11pm

Not that I'm the biggest advocate of Phantom, but there are more than two melodies introduced in the second act...
Masquerade
Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again
Twisted Every Way
Past the Point of No Return
Down Once More -- well some of it...

But you can also look at some older scores where the majority of new material does come in the first act with reprises and only a handful of new songs in the second act.

It's not like Aspects and Sunset where the SAME recitative is repeated ad nauseum through the whole show

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

iheartmark
#43re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 1:13pm

JCS...Altho I might be biased as I'm in it right now lol :)

"Kali, why is Roger on a cliff?" "Because the cliff is love, Rachel." "Oh."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#44re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 1:25pm

Sorry, I edited my post. THREE new songs are introduced in the second act of Phantom - Masquerade, Wishing You Would Somehow Stop Again, and Past the Point of No Refund. The others are recycled variations of previously introduced music.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

vgd07
#45re: Favorite ALW Score?
Posted: 7/22/05 at 1:43pm

Evita, definately. I find the Evita score to be the most powerful and original.. or maybe I'm biased. Either way.

Videos