Vocal Nodes

MargoChanning
#25re: Vocal Nodes
Posted: 7/24/05 at 12:20pm

Doogie --

Andrews received a SUBSTANTIAL out of court settlement as the result of her surgeon's failures. His malpractice was so clear and obvious that her doctor's insurance company was willing to pay her MILLIONS without a final legal verdict.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

theatrefanatic17
#26re: Vocal Nodes
Posted: 7/24/05 at 2:00pm

Yea... I don`t have or have nodes before, but when they go away, are you able to sing just as well as before?

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#27re: Vocal Nodes
Posted: 7/24/05 at 2:29pm

Yes. I had them, and I completely healed back to normal. In fact, it was kind of a wake up call to pay more mind to how I'm feeling when I'm singing and to work harder on technique, and I sing better now than I did beforehand. So, if you take care of yourself, you'll be able to get back to normal

ChrisHerz Profile Photo
ChrisHerz
#28re: Vocal Nodes
Posted: 7/24/05 at 3:02pm

Hey... just wanted to add that I went to the ENT to get my cords checked out, as I thought I had nodes (I grew up doing 8 shows a week, for over three years straight... with bad bad technique) because I was losing my upper range and there was a very strange "crackling" sound on some of my notes, and after the doctor did the whole tube up my nose and down my throat thing, he determined that it was the same problem many many singers encounter, which is reflux.

Don't forget about this possiblity... you really shouldn't be eating anything within three hours before you lay down for bed, shouldn't be having chocolate or mints five hours before bed, should avoid caffinated beverages especially at night, and in general should favor organic foods and avoid very fatty meals.

Found this out from the doctor a week ago, taking reflux medication, taking it easy with my voice and watching my college-life diet, and now my range has almost completely come back and I'm starting to be able to sing notes I haven't been able to sing for years.

LoudIrishGirl
#29re: Vocal Nodes
Posted: 7/24/05 at 3:47pm

I'm glad your condition wasn't that bad, and that you've recorvered! Wasn't the down the nose thing incredibly odd feeling? I kept rubbing my nose for hours afterwards!

"If you can talk, you can sing...if you can walk, you can dance." - T.K. Greene

CostumeMistress Profile Photo
CostumeMistress
#30re: Vocal Nodes
Posted: 7/24/05 at 4:43pm

Additionally - the following things should be avoided as they are very harsh on your vocal folds:

*Coughing
*Clearing your throat (a definate no-no)
*Alcohol
*Coffee, especially hot coffee

Avatar - Isaac, my blue-fronted Amazon parrot. Adopted 9/7/07. Age 30 (my pet is older than me!)

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#31re: Vocal Nodes
Posted: 7/24/05 at 4:49pm

Also, Hairspraydoll, sometimes your vocal coach can hear a scrachy-ness to your voice color that isn't normal. But deffinalty see a doctor.

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#32re: Vocal Nodes
Posted: 7/24/05 at 5:49pm

I don't pretend to know a thing about any of this but I did know about the Andrews fiasco and it seems that what people forget is that as much as people want to think of Andrews as a "saint", she didn't live like one. One need not be a brain surgeon to know you shouldn't drink and smoke if you use your voice for a living. It's like a concert violinist taking up serious carpentry as a hobby.

Mythus
#33re: Vocal Nodes
Posted: 7/24/05 at 6:12pm

All this is silly. Simple prayer and vitamins get rid of nodes. Lickity split.

Don't forget exercise!

Chevstriss
#34re: Vocal Nodes
Posted: 7/24/05 at 6:35pm

can you really have one node? that's news to me.

Julie Andrews had a polyp, not nodes. I know a LOT about her case which i will not post here. You can PM me w/ any specific concerns you might have (not pure nosiness).

Surgery is not a "quick fix", by anyones's definition. Post surgery recovery is not instant.

Ms. Andrews was not under the illusion that she was getting a "quick fix".

I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog

Videos