pixeltracker

Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!- Page 2

Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#25re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 1:35pm

i've always wondered why she didn't do this part or that part--but there are always more famous, albeit less accomplished, performers in her catagory that seem to get the jobs.

Mind is Mantra.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#26re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 1:37pm

I never liked the song "Everybody's Girl," but Monk performs it so well that I don't skip over it on the Leading Ladies DVD.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#27re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 1:39pm

Hmm...I will be in school.

I loved Carol though.

I am trying to go back before I leave for school, to catch Charlotte once more.

Though I would prefer to see her in SC next.

I know I wrote a review, but LUBA is one hell of a Velma. Very good!

Updated On: 8/1/05 at 01:39 PM

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#28re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 1:46pm

About Time. And I'm all for Bill Irwin as Amos.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#29re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 5:09pm

I love me some Debra Monk! Not only would I love to see her play Rose but I think she would be an amazing Mame or Vera as well!

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Debbie Does Broadway Profile Photo
Debbie Does Broadway
#30re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/25/05 at 4:22am

My love for Debra Monk knows no end!!! SShe is just simply amazing at everything she does...i can't think of a bd performance she has done (I personally LOVED her in Company!!!). She really does need to do more, but maybe this will get that ball rolling again!!!

Deb

The trick in life is learning how to deal with it. ~Helen Mirren

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#31re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/5/05 at 9:18am

Tonight is Deb's first night as Mama. If anybody goes, PLEASE post a review! re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!

melissa errico fan
#32re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/5/05 at 9:36am

And, instead of starting a brand-new thread, I'm going to post this here: Robin Givens (best known as the former Mrs. Mike Tyson) will make her Broadway debut as Roxie Hart, January 16 through March 26. Should be interesting...
http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=4694

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#33re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/5/05 at 9:44am

Robin Givens of Head of the Class Fame as Roxie Hart? I am sooooooooooooooo there.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#34re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/5/05 at 10:54am

The Weisslers are on a roll. All these new performers.

I think she will be one of the first full time black Roxies.

I am interested in seeing her.

Pinaud Profile Photo
Pinaud
#35re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/7/05 at 4:04pm

So any news on Deb as Mama?

SorryGrateful
#36re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/7/05 at 4:11pm

Debra Monk is FANtastic. I recently got the Company revival recording and I had no idea she was that good. The only thing I knew her from was Center Stage, as the horrible mother of Maureen the bulemic ballerina. Of course, that movie was the first time I'd seen Donna Murphy as well. Yay for Center Stage!

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#37re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/7/05 at 4:12pm

I'm sure once Brooke starts, we'll hear about Debra.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#38re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:40pm

Anybody has to say something about Debra as Mama Morton?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

C is for Company
#39re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/9/05 at 12:21am

Oh an actual reason to now go back and see chicago again after seeing it when melanie griffith was in town...lets just say seeing it put an end to me being obsessed with chicago for a while. I found the show disappointing, but certainly not just because of her, I didnt think she was SO bad, its like christina applegate. Good role for her but weak voice.

melissa errico fan
#40re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/9/05 at 6:51am

Bumping this up for Brooke's first night!
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/94969.html

BOYFROMOZ
#41re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/10/05 at 7:06pm

Debra and Brooke were extremley great. I saw it this afternoon. Brooke is a very good singer, actor and dancer, which really helps her master the role.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#42re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/10/05 at 7:07pm

Can you give details on how Monk is playing the character?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#43re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/10/05 at 7:08pm

^ Yay! Great to hear. How did Brooke sound on "Funny Honey?"

OH and how did she sound on "My Own Best Friend" with Luba? Did they blend good?
Updated On: 9/10/05 at 07:08 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#44re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/10/05 at 7:13pm

Did Debra ever marry again? Or was being with John Miller enough to swear off men forever? re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#45re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/11/05 at 12:57am

Saw Chicago tonight. Honestly, I was amazed with Brooke's portrayal of Roxie. She was excellent...her acting was top notch and I was truly blown away by her dancing. I expected the Hot Honey Rag to be absolutely atrocious and Brooke was perfect. There is a part when Brooke and Luba were dancing extremely close together...one wrong move and it would have screwed both of them up, but Brooke held it together and was great.

Debra Monk was fabulous as Mama Morton. Her "When You're Good to Mama" brought the house down...it was a great audience tonight. Debra just has such excellent stage presence...and this is such a great role for her.

Of course, I stage doored the show afterwards. I was in the front of the barricades...next to this very cute gay couple from Kentucky (one of the guys was SO HOT). Debra came out and sadly, I was the only one who cared enough to ask for her autograph. She was so gracious...she signed the front of my playbill and also my Steel Pier CD booklet. She was shocked that I brought it with me. She also said "This is the first musical I have been in that wasn't a flop!" Obviously she was referring to Steel Pier and Thou Shalt Not...two recent flop musicals she was in. Shortly after, Brooke came out. I expected her to be kind of snobby, but she was very sweet and humble. She signed for everyone and took pictures as well. She signed my playbill cover and my Wonderful Town CD booklet. She signed "Love, Brooke XX"

Brooke is only in the show until October 30th. I believe Debra will be in the show much longer than that. I know most of you have already seen Chicago (tonight was my third time seeing it) but it is definitely worth seeing again with this new cast!
Updated On: 9/11/05 at 12:57 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#46re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/11/05 at 12:59am

^ Great review! So glad to hear Brooke is doing great.

How did Brooke & Luba blend on "My Own Best Friend?"

WithoutATrace
#47re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:03am

my own best friend was great. their voices blended well together. Brooke does not have the strongest voice, but it was fine for this role.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#48re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:05am

Wonderful. I am so excited to hear good word on her. I loved her in WT. And I can't wait to see her Roxie. And I'm also glad to hear Debra was great!

Did Luba come out of the stage door?

WithoutATrace
#49re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:07am

yes, but she walked right past the crowds...she figured everyone was there to see Brooke (which they were). I'm sure if you ask her to come over, she would be happy to sign your playbill.

Videos