pixeltracker

PJ Reviews "See What I Wanna See"- Page 2

PJ Reviews "See What I Wanna See"

stephygirl51 Profile Photo
stephygirl51
#25re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 11:45am

Sorry if someone has already asked this question--i know how you can get slaughtered for asking questions repeatedly..but...I have never been to a show at the Public, I've been inside the theater but never sat for a show. My tickets are for left orch row e seats 9 and 11. Am I going to have a complete profile view of the show? I know it's a tiny theater, and I am sure I will be fine, but I just want to but my worries to rest! Thanks guys!

There's Only Us There's Only This Forget Regret Or Life Is Yours To Miss No Other Road No Other Way NO DAY BUT TODAY!

Once upon a time I was a shy young thing
Could barely walk and talk so much as dance and sing
But let me hit that stage I wanna take my bow
Cause Mama I'm a big girl now!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#26re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 11:51am

i have not been to the public theater, but from what people are saying, there is not a bad seat in the house...i'm sure you'll be fine.

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#27re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 11:58am

There really isn't a bad seat. I was at last night's performance and I sat on the right side and was able to see everything, it's a very small theater.

I really enjoyed the show. I thought the entire cast was amazing, very strong. Aaron Lohr especially - what a performance! He really impressed me. Though I also had a little trouble hearing him sing in the first act, off and on.

Regarding Idina - I didn't hear any breath problems at all. I remember being a little distracted by her gasping when I saw Wicked, but none of that was present last night. She sounded great - it was nice to hear her sing in such a small space. And I disagree about her not being an actress, her performance was very moving. It was great to see her in such different material.

PJ
#28re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 12:11pm

Oddly enough, all the queens over at ATC are giving Idina glowing notices, too.

carnimiriel Profile Photo
carnimiriel
#29re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 12:34pm

Stephygirl, I sat in E9 last night and I didn't really miss anything. I mean, you do miss the very beginning of some of the characters' entrances, that sort of thing. But nothing important.

stephygirl51
#30re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 1:18pm

Ok good, thanks!

There's Only Us There's Only This Forget Regret Or Life Is Yours To Miss No Other Road No Other Way NO DAY BUT TODAY!

elphieisperky
#31re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 1:24pm

Wow, sounds great. I had tickets for last night, but to make a long story short, we came too late, and basically got kicked out of the theater. I cried, seriously. But we got a special refund, and I have the chance to go sometime this week or next week. But I'm so glad you liked it, and so glad Idina was great. Funny story about her mom dragging her out. Anyway, can't wait to see it.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#32re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 1:26pm

ok, ill bite. why did you get kicked out of the theater?

elphieisperky
#33re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:51pm

My dad and I got there, and we were about 25 minutes late, once again, very long story. So we got there, and the lady in the lobby said we had missed both times for latecomers to come in, and we'd have to wait until after intermission, which was 35 minutes later. So we'd be missing more than an hour of the show, and we really wanted to see it all, so we basically kicked ourselves out of the theater. Sorry to be so off-topic! I didn't mean for this to be long, so go ahead, get back on topic :)

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#34re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 3:26pm

Guys, it's not that I "don't like" Idina. I like HER fine. I just haven't been impressed by anything that I've seen her do - and I continue to hope that one day she'll actually convince me that she's as talented as some people on this board make her out to seem. I just wasn't impressed with her performance - that's something totally different than saying I detest her as a person - which is how some of you are acting.

And by telling me that EVERYONE ELSE says she's amazing is really irrelevant. Am I supposed to take back what I said and just agree that she's amazing? No.

In fact, the first 15 minutes of the show I was thinking how great she was, and how it's nice to finally see her in something more subtle where she can PERFORM rather than just overact. She was fantastic, actually, until it's her turn to "tell" her side of the story. As soon as she sat in the chair and started "crying," she lost me. From that moment on, everything I got from her was completely surface - I don't see any sort if inner workings of a character when she performs. I just don't. Her voice sounded beautiful at times, and shrill and shrieky at others (end of Act One.) I just don't understand why and how people bow down to this woman as if she is the epitome of a great human being. She's a very nice woman - I just don't like watching her on stage. And my opinion about her lack of acting skills is just as vaild as those that think she's the second coming of christ.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#35re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 3:27pm

It's such a tiny theatre....this show isn't mic'd is it?

forgetregret
#36re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 3:31pm

Munk...you DO know she was supposed to be fake crying when she was in the chair, right?

And BroadwayGirl, I think they were mic'd, because I saw one on Marc, but they're turned down VERY low. It's almost like they're not even there and in fact they might not be. It's kind of hard to tell.

stephygirl51
#37re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 3:41pm

It may not even be mic'd? Wow...so not complaining about my seats anymore!

PJ
#38re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 4:30pm

It's most definitely mic'd. I saw each member of the cast wearing one.

forgetregret
#39re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 4:34pm

PJ, would you agree that the mics were turned down VERY low? At times it really didn't sound like there even were mics, they must have been low.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#40re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 4:38pm

Well, if you can hardly tell, that satisfies me. I hate when sound gets warped by mics. And hearing Idina sing without a mic is AMAZING, which is why I was hoping...

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#41re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 4:42pm

We have the same seats Steph!

Unmiked performances just make me even happier.

How does the size of Anpsacher compare to like the Shiva or the Newman (the only two theaters I've been in)? I know it's a trust stage...

I'm really looking forward to this Saturday.
Updated On: 10/12/05 at 04:42 PM

PJ
#42re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 4:53pm

The mics are very low and sound natural. A very rare characteristic these days.

wowobball2000 Profile Photo
wowobball2000
#43re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 5:16pm

I'm so happy to be reading the mostly positive comments about this show!!! I got tickets to see it on November 19 and can't believe that I have to wait that long!

It's very reassuring to hear that Idina seems to have fixed whatever breathing problem she was experiencing during Wicked. I must say that it did detract from her performance and can only imagine how much more that would have been magnified in a small theater.

"Will the world remember you when you fall?" Les Miserables

BSoBW2
#44re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 5:54pm

I'm also seeing it Nov 19 - eve.

bwayfan3 Profile Photo
bwayfan3
#45re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 6:45pm

PJ

Is that Idina in your AV? Where is that pic from?

wickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photo
wickedfiyeroofoz
#46re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 6:59pm

What's funny is that I do actually refer to idina as the second coming of christ...O well...I love her...And she's a diva....complete with breathy singing and being over miked...Wicked was her role of a lifetime, and unfortunately shes going to have to live with that stereotype and those expectations...i havent seen the show, but Im sure she's fabulous. I guess I'm just one of those people Munk rags on...
Seriously she could dress up in a sheep costume and belt mary had a little lamb for three hours and I'd still think she was brilliant. I believe there are performers out there who are just as good...but theres some special star quality about her. "Thanks be to God. Praise to you Lord idina Menzel"

Just kidding!

How can they see with sequins in their eyes?

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#47re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 7:07pm

It's Idina? The picture vaguely reminds me of Shoshanna Bean...but I can't put a finger on the performance. But the outfit looks familar.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#48re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 7:22pm

I am pretty sure it is Shoshana. I believe it is from the Katrina Benefit

Pictures

bwayfan3 Profile Photo
bwayfan3
#49re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 7:27pm

Yes. Shoshana. I didn't recognize it at first. I was there that night for the benefit. I was hoping it wasn't Idina because that dress looks awful!

Videos