pixeltracker

Young Frankenstein - the musical- Page 2

Young Frankenstein - the musical

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#25re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/28/05 at 10:26pm

I can't believe no one has recommended Norbert Leo Butz for Dr. Frankenstein. I think he'd be a good fit.

I'd like to see Katie Clarke play Inga. I don't know a thing about her comic timing, but she's freakin' hot.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#26re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/28/05 at 10:31pm

Norbert would be amazing as Frankenstein.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#27re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/28/05 at 11:17pm

I really do think this could work as a musical...but I'm just SO SICK of movie adaptations......

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#28re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/28/05 at 11:49pm

I think this could really work, but I really wish Mel Brooks would get someone else to write the score.

Plum
#29re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/28/05 at 11:59pm

Shuler Hensley as the monster. Duh. re: Young Frankenstein - the musical

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#30re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:40am

I think Mr. Hensley has had his fill of playing the Frankenstein Monster after the movie Van Helsing.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#31re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:54am

It's interesting how everyone is saying Martin is too old. I agree that he is, but Kevin Klein is 3 years older. BOTH are too old to play Frankenstein. Maybe Christian Borle -- he could easily play that off-kilter romantic lead.

". . . POP . . ."

ess2484 Profile Photo
ess2484
#32re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/29/05 at 9:08am

I think Leslie Kritzer should be Inga. She was hillarious in Trailer Park.

Christain Borle would be wonderful as Dr. Frankenstein. He blew me away in Spamalot.

Hanna from Hamburg
#33re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/29/05 at 9:16am

I know how many people hate Betty Buckley, but she would be funny as Frau Blucher. She associated with these dramatic roles, and I think it would be a scream to see her as that stern, ugly housekeeper.

". . . POP . . ."

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#34re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/29/05 at 1:01pm

I hope Stroman gets to direct this. She hasn't done much for Broadway lately. It's understandable, movies are a lot of work.

I really hope that the cast differs though. I find Matthew Broderick really boring. I'd rather see people who didn't star in Producers do this show.

worrell4077
#35re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/29/05 at 3:10pm

I think that despite all of opinions about it, Matthew will probably wind up playing Fronkensteen, but hey you never know, he might surprise some people. Someone I think could probably be a good Fronkensteen would be Hunter Foster.

As for Roger Bart as Igor, I think that would be hysterical. Kristen Chenoweth is probably a good choic for Elizabeth because Elizabeth has some of the same traits as Glinda did in Wicked.

For Inspector Kemp, I don't really know if he would do it on stage, but if a movie were to be made of the Young Frankenstein musical, then my choice would have to be Will Ferrell because it would be basically going from one crazy german to another, and I think that Will would be hysterical as Kemp as he is as Franz.
"Pardon the way that I stare. There's nothing else to compare, the sight of you leaves me weak, there are no words left to speak. So if you feel like I feel, please let me know that it's really. You're just to good to be true, Can't Take my eyes off of you."
-Jersey Boys
Updated On: 12/29/05 at 03:10 PM

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#36re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/29/05 at 3:47pm

no Broderick - no more Leo Bloom, J. Pierpont, Frankenstein dorks. no spillovers from the Producers, start fresh.

how about Hal Prince to direct or Jack O'Brien?

and it should be done entirely in black and white, all the costumes, all the makeup, all the scenery, all the lighting....

Betty Buckley would be a HOOT as Frau Brukah, just as long as she gets one or two really torchy good songs.

oh and NO CHENOWETH, she's not funny, she's squeaky and annoying!

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

jackson992
#37re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/30/05 at 4:46am

How could anyone not like Chenoweth and Buckley???

They are amazing!

Hanna from Hamburg
#38re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/30/05 at 8:57am

I only mentioned the Buckley thing because there have been quite a few threads on this board about what a B*TCH she is and how she has shot her voice. I don't really care whether or not she's mean outside of the theatre, because I love to see her perform. I have a lot of her recordings and think she's an amazing talent.

I don't want to get into the thing with Chenoweth, because there's an entire thread on it. (Don't bother with it, because it's not worth the time!)

". . . POP . . ."

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#39re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/30/05 at 10:54am

"Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan's follow-up to The Producers, a musical version of Young Frankenstein, may have its pre-Broadway tryout in Seattle, Variety reported, citing Brooks."

"Meehan recently told Playbill On-Line that he and Brooks have completed the first act and nine songs for their new project, a stage musical version of the Brooks film 'Young Frankenstein.'"

"Among the story's other characters are the doctor's fiancee (played in the movie by Madeline Kahn), who goes from a prissy virgin to a rapacious vixen with a Bride of Frankenstein hairdo—a role for which Kristin Chenoweth is reportedly being sought."

This is all official word from Playbill.com
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/84945.html

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#40re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/30/05 at 10:58am

Someone mentioned Hal Prince as a director.
Yeah, I'd love to see Hal Prince direct, but he's much more of a dramatic and conceptual director (Follies, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Cabaret, etc.). It would be great to see him venture into the Mel Brooks kind of comedy, but I think he'll continue on with his dramatic and bold shows.

#41re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/30/05 at 11:10am

I agree with the comment about Mel Brooks finding someone else to write the score. Or at least to co-write the score. For a Frankenstein comedy musical to work, you're going to need some gothic-sounding music even if the lyrics are funny. The Producers has light-sounding silly golden-era-style music, which works well for a musical that is going to be a love-letter to Broadway.

But Frankenstein needs to be... something else, it seems. Something more authentically self-serious, which is what the black and white gave to the movie. You know... music in the style of Wildhorn or the British Megamusical or something. That's just the equivalent I'm feeling when thinking of the original movie. Putting songs of the Producers' style into Young Frankenstein seems to kill it...

Thoughts?

worrell4077
#42re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/30/05 at 2:26pm

The overture for this will be the Translyvaniaa Lullaby or whatever the violin song was called in film(the song used to calm the monster). Has there been any word, on if Mel got the rights to use "Puttin on the Ritz", it just wouldn't be Young Frankenstein without that.

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#43re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/30/05 at 3:05pm

Frederick Frankenstein- Matthew Broderick
The Monster- Brad Garett
Igor- Norbert Leo Butz
Elizabeth- Sherie Rene Scott
Frau Blucher- Jan Maxwell
Inga- Uma Thurman
Inspector Kemp- Will Ferrel

Message Board Signature

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#44re: Young Frankenstein - the musical
Posted: 12/30/05 at 3:14pm

oh duh, Jan Maxwell for Frau Blucher - genius!

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

Videos