pixeltracker

Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week- Page 2

Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#25re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 7:57am

MargoChanning -

actually Sunset Blvd returned about 85% of it's initial investment, and the remaining 15% was to be returned through licensing the second american tour. Not sure if it did, but it was hardly the financial mess you claimed it to be.

Neither was Joseph the financial flop. It had a decent run in NY and only closed (and went on tour) to free up the Minskoff Theatre for Sunset to move in.

Yes, Aspects, By Jeeves, JCS were finanical failures. Yet, I think that's why ALW has been so cautious - that's why the critically acclaimed Beautiful Game never reached America, nor Whistle Down The Wind, which became an American story never came back.

What's sad is ALW said in hindsight he thought they should have proceeded with the Hal Prince version of Whistle and came to NY with it. From what I heard of the score, it sounded better in DC than the final product from London.

sharon1
#26re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 9:17am

Saw the show last week and loved it. But upon exiting a UK fan said that he loved the show, but there is nothing commercial about it. I think that is the big thing. It is not commercial. I would love to see how all the sets work. I think it is innovative. As far as MC taking over for MB, not likely. After listening to the OLC over and over again, this group of performers is much better vocally, especially the three "B's" and I think their over all performance is superior.

touchmeinthemorning
#27re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 9:56am

Yes, the mistake the investors for this show have made is assuming that the masses see shows because they are ALW. The fact is, most tourist money goes to shows that they have seen a movie version of, or have seen a tour of, or have heard saturated news stories about. WIW doesn't fit any of those, and (sadly) its nature as a melodrama isn't the stuff that makes the news, or water cooler conversation.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#28re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:04am

"that's why the critically acclaimed Beautiful Game never reached America"
That's true, but you also have to remember that the show only ran a year in London, hinting that it was not a popular success there. Even Whistle down the wind lasted longer.
In a way, ALW's musicals are now out of place on Bway, which has now been taken over by jukebox musicals and revivals. His style is probably not what people are looking at anymore.
As for Sunset, maybe it returned some of its initial investment, but I've read in a couple of places where Webber himself labeled it "a financial disaster." I also heard it lost 25 million dollars, one of the greatest losses in Bway history, if not the greatest.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#29re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:17am

No, that Joseph revival was a horrible financial flop. It played 231 performances and lost its entire investment.

sharon1
#30re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:23am

Funny thing though, I think of this show as something Broadway is about. Great sets, great orchestra/orchestrations, even greater performers/performances, Maria and Michael, interesting book, and a terrific ensemble. While the premise of the show does not move fast enough for some, the show moves rather well I think from scene to scene. Unlike some shows on Broadway right now, I could see this show over and over again and always see something new.

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#31re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:36am

My sister purchased $800 in tickets for this march. That was in november before the Jersey Boys buzz kicked in. She now regrets buying tickets to 'the wrong show.'
That is unfortunately Women In White's fate--'that other show which isn't Jersey Boys.'

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston
Updated On: 1/4/06 at 10:36 AM

jo
#32re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:40am

I agree with you, Sharon.

The show has given me such enjoyment and viewing pleasure. I have seen it both in London and on Broadway and I've always come out of the theatre wanting to repeat the experience. It is certainly a welcome and refreshing change from some of the current Broadway fare of pop catalog musicals and musical comedies. I think its audience niche can be found among those who want their musicals with a good book, a romantic musical score, and an excellent cast. As a bonus, the sets are quite beautiful and effective.

Jo

YayJudyYayJudy Profile Photo
YayJudyYayJudy
#33re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:58am

Before I saw WIW for the first time, I knew practically nothing about it- nothing about the book, the story, the Vicotrian feel, or the sets. However, since seeing it, I've don't think I've ever been so receptive toward one show.
And I think that's a problem- no one knows. This is real theater- this is a haunting and suspenseful story told by intriguing characters, surrounded by gorgeous sets and a beautiful score.

I just wish this was noticed and celebrated because it deserves to be- and not just by a few

proudly changing my name frequently since 2004

chances are AndyF is posting above or below me...

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]
Updated On: 1/4/06 at 10:58 AM

kec Profile Photo
kec
#34re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 11:22am

YayJudy, I agree with you. I didn't know a thing about the show or the story before I saw it for the first time in London. I was entranced from the moment the music started in the first act, and repeat visits to the show both in London and more recently in NY have enforced that feeling.

I was walking by the Marquis last Friday, when I saw a couple looking at one of the posters gracing the walls. On impulse I told them it was a good show. The lady thanked me and said they were thinking about it but didn't know much about it. I then offered a brief explanation as to the story and the music, and ended by telling them I highly recommended it -- if they wanted to take the word of a complete stranger re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week. They laughed and said why not. Now, I don't know if they actually went in and got tickets, but I hope they did, and enjoyed it.

YayJudyYayJudy
#35re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 11:34am

haha, Kec- adding onto your story. Like two weeks ago I was in the city at the Minskoff and there was a mother and a daughter behind us in line debating what show to see and asked for our opinion. I ofcourse went into my WIW "schpeel" and they seemed interested and headed off to its box office. Afterward we decided to meet at the Marquis stage door and they both gave RAVE reviews about it. And while we were all discussing it, there were like 10 other people listening in on our conversation.
People are interested and want to know, there just aren't enough resources for them. And I doubt the Really Useful Group can afford to keep me and Kec outside of their box office re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]

Michelleruth2 Profile Photo
Michelleruth2
#36re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 11:39am

I saw the show last month (because I am a Michael Ball fan, as you can see from my avatar). I thought the performers did a great job and I loved the projected sets. However, I was not overly impressed with the score/musical numbers. I expected more.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#37re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 11:41am

Judy = glad to see your still "working" for the show!

For some perspective too - here's the list of Musicals that FEWER people went to see last week than the Woman in White:

Rent
Sweet Charity (in its closing week)
Jersey Boys
Chicago
Odd Couple
Sweeney Todd
Light in the Piazza
Doubt
Ave Q
Chita Rivera
25th Annual Putnam...
A touch of the Poet
Latinologues
Souvenir
Seascape

My point - it's easy to throw numbers around to make your favorite look better than the others. Shouldn't we hope they ALL do well? If not for personal preferences but the good of the art form and theatre in general?

lna
#38re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 11:44am

It is certainly a welcome and refreshing change from some of the current Broadway fare of pop catalog musicals and musical comedies.

That it is. Plus I did like the sets, even if I'm not sure I'd want to see them in every show. They were particularly effective as they were used here.

I think its audience niche can be found among those who want their musicals with a good book, a romantic musical score, and an excellent cast.

But I think that's the problem. People aren't walking out universally loving the show, even if they prefer such musicals. It may be in part the high cost of tickets (i.e., that people are more likely to think twice before recommending a show), but I guess my problem with it is that I didn't love the score. It didn't help that the big surprise--the secret on which the whole show is based--isn't as surprising as it would have been in the context of the book (or the time in which it was written). And the secret only reinforced information otherwise available, it didn't add to it.

I think if more people loved the show, word of mouth would be selling it, but apparently that isn't happening.

CDuffy5062
#39re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 12:18pm

This show has a wonderful, innovative set, a wonderfully strong cast with two of the theater world's best in it -- Maria Friedman and Michael Ball -- and, in my opinion, a truly lovely score. It is, however, one of those shows that one either really likes or really doesn't. And plenty of people who go really do like it. The problem is: it isn't being advertised.
With an asset like Michael Ball in the cast, who, when given the chance, can charm interviewers and listeners alike, why not utilize him to sell the show? I can understand why Maria Friedman might not be up to publicity in addition to performance, but a little publicity other than strictly word of mouth would certainly help IMHO.

sharon1
#40re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 12:25pm

Bravo to the title, "True Theatre" That is what this show is. I may use this phrase over and over again if you don't mind. I think this show has tons to offer theatre goers. I personally love the score. I think in this era of "jukebox" musicals a somewhat unfamiliar score takes some getting used to. But as I have said before the performances are great in this show and the voices spectacular. A treat to the ear Also you are correct about numbers. Maybe this is just in too big of a theatre.

RYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
#41re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 12:48pm

Does not suprise me!

The show started off good in London and now is on cheap touts every where and is coming off in London this Summer on going on tour (Spamalot replace WIW in Londons Palace theatre)

I give WIW until next Autumn on Broadway, if that. A Chrous Line would be great there!

Fosse76
#42re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 1:26pm

You failed to mention that the bulk of those shows you listed were sold-out all week...because they are in smaller houses.

Character Actor Profile Photo
Character Actor
#43re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 1:28pm

I kinda wanna see this show, I like ALW. Hopefully it lasts long enough!

jem2 Profile Photo
jem2
#44re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 1:42pm

"Shouldn't we hope they ALL do well? If not for personal preferences but the good of the art form and theatre in general?"

Chernjam, you are TOO RIGHT.

I don't know why anyone would revel in any show not doing well but some people have seemed to make it their mission in life to be a doomsayer for some shows. Whatever...

Interesting list of shows you posted too, a bit surprising, but good news regarding the particular show someone likes to keep slagging off. re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week

I'll be doing my personal part to increase some of these shows numbers in two weeks and I'm looking forward to it. re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Updated On: 1/4/06 at 01:42 PM

Fosse76
#45re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 3:32pm

Because some shows shouldn't do well, period. Saying that it employs people shouldn't be the reason to keep a show running...if that were the case in other businesses we wouldn't have unions and no one would complain about the existence of sweat shops. That said, if WIW is covering its costs than it should be fine through the Tony's. So far the only show it'll be compteing with at the Tony's is Jersey Boys, and the Tony voters aren't too keen on jukebox musicals. So maybe it'll get a boost.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#46re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 3:58pm

Actually, Jersey Boys and The Color Purple, both of which got better reviews than WIW, will compete with it for best musical so far, and the season isnt over yet.

I think that people are staying away, in part, due to the fact that the show isnt very good and has not gotten the good word of mouth the other two contenders have.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Fosse76
#47re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 4:55pm

I completely forgot about the Color Purple! I haven't seen it yet, but it's one of those mixed reaction shows, much like The Woman in White. I liked Jersey Boys, but I really don't think it deserves Best Musical.

YayJudyYayJudy
#48re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 5:06pm

If it comes down to WIW and Jersey Boys in the end (don't know what the probability of this happening is...) but I honestly think that WIW deserves it. Yes, this is completely my personal opinion, but it's just the more impressive and affective show. I loved Jersey Boys, I can't say anything bad about it- but it is a form of a juke-box musical, and although the story and performances are definetely noteworthy, and they have the attendance and hype around them- I don't think that should overshadow the distinguished and elequent persona that WIW carries.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#49re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/4/06 at 5:06pm

"I think its audience niche can be found among those who want their musicals with a good book, a romantic musical score, and an excellent cast."

Jo, first of all I want to say that I really appreciate you and I think you are a very well-mannered and informed poster. But really, this comment sounds REALLY arrogant ! I want my musicals with all those ingredients and I did NOT have a great time at WIW. Sure it has some very good moments but there were moments I was bored out of my mind !
I really respect the people who loved the show, but I expect to be respected for not liking it that much.
Peace

Videos