pixeltracker

Cast albums that were recorded but never released- Page 2

Cast albums that were recorded but never released

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#25re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 3:43pm

Several of the JAY Masterworks recordings have never been issued, to the frustration of a lot of us. In addition to the ACW, there's One Touch of Venus, with Melissa Errico, Brent Barrett, and Kim Criswell; Fiddler on the Roof, with Len Cariou and Sara Kestelman; Annie with Kim Criswell, Ron Raines, and Ruthie Henshall (though a "selections from" type disc has been issued); and 42nd Street.

Also, the JAY recordings of Brigadoon and the Lincoln Center edition of Anything Goes have been issued on the hour-long series but not complete.

I think that the cast of the York A Doll's Life (this was a revised version of the show, with a new song) recorded it but it's never been issued. Perhaps, though, this was just announced but never actually happened.

A couple of years ago, John McGlinn was supposed to record the complete stage scores of Jerome Kern and Victor Herbert. He recorded Leave It to Jane and Oh, Lady! Lady! with Kaye, Luker, and Graae in the cast, as well as at least one Herbert, but I think the recordings were never quite completed and the project was canceled.

And I'm not certain, but I think there's a studio recording of A Mother's Kisses awaiting issue. I do think we'll see that one eventually.
Updated On: 5/26/06 at 03:43 PM

riv
#26re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 3:54pm

I've always suspected the McGlinn recordings of Kern and Herbert are still being done. Otherwise, if the project had been canceled or abandoned, why wouldn't McGlinn simply be out doing other show recordings as he had many years ago? The guy is not around for a reason, and I think it's because this Kern/Herbert thing is beinging done without any publicity at all.

I believe the man financing it is somewhat eccentric, which may be why we hear nothing. He wants it worked on in secret.
Updated On: 5/25/06 at 03:54 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#27re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:01pm

Shelter
Smile
Tom Sawyer
Ring of Fire (it was recording, but not officially announced...hopefully it will be released)

I'm pretty sure Lestat will be released though...

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#28re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:02pm

I wish you were right, but I'm pretty sure you're not. I've heard from several sources that it's canceled.

McGlinn has made a couple of Wagner CDs for Naxos.

But there's a reason he's not doing much of anything else, and it's the same reason the project has been (or so I've heard) canceled. And the same reason why he worked at City Opera one season and never again.

At least this is my understanding. I'd love to find out that I'm misinformed and that the Kern and Herbert project is proceeding. If you know for certain that the project is proceeding, that's great. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it's been canceled.

riv
#29re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:07pm

May I ask what this reason is that you speak of?

JackiesBroJoe Profile Photo
JackiesBroJoe
#30re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:11pm

that Capeman CD has been going around through collectors since it was released to Tony Voters. A majority of it is quite good.
Updated On: 5/25/06 at 04:11 PM

ahimsa Profile Photo
ahimsa
#31re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:15pm

What about the revival of Rocky Horror? Did they record it?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#32re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:16pm

Was Lestat released to the Tony voters? Will we see them going for wads of cash on eBay?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#33re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:16pm

He drives people crazy. Not performers. I think that performers like working with him. But he alienates the people in charge. That's what I've heard. Perhaps it's not true.

But I am pretty sure that this Kern and Herbert project is dead. The recordings that were made were not supposed to be held for release.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I'd love for that Kern and Herbert to be continuing.

riv
#34re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:17pm

If Lestat was recorded last Monday, May 22, how could any Tony voters have it? Besides, it's not up for best score, so why waste the time and expense rushing it to them.

Updated On: 5/25/06 at 04:17 PM

riv
#35re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:23pm

Thanks, "nobodyhome," for the McGlinn information.

I've loved practically all his recordings and it's a damn shame he hasn't really been active over the last few years.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 5:54pm

Releasing lestat will be a peace offering to Sir Elton from WB

Just my opinion. I hope it does come out

Just sent a PM to someone in the cast we met after we saw it. I asked this party if they know anything one way or the other. As soon as I hear, I will post the response

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 5/25/06 at 05:54 PM

hak Profile Photo
hak
#37re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 6:10pm

ahimsa: yes the revival of Rocky Horror was recorded/released. the one thing about it is that Joan Jet's portrayal of Columbia is not on it, her understudy sang on the cast recording

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#38re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 6:28pm

I'm not sure if FOXY (Bert Lahr's last Broadway musical) was actually recorded or not - but according to Ken Mandlebaum, FOXY's producer, David Merrick reportedly discouraged RCA from releasing an album.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#39re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 6:43pm

I believe that RCA may have run ads for Foxy, but it was never recorded. A few years later they definitely ran ads for Sherry!, but that also was never recorded.

Another cast recording that was announced but never (to my knowledge) made was the London cast of On the Twentieth Century, with Julia McKenzie, Keith Michell, and Ann Beach.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#40re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 7:03pm

Someone said something about Falsettos being on LA Theatre Works' web radio, but i can't find it on the site. Could someone help me?

Also, the recent revival of "La Cage"...im not sure if it was recorded or not - i think it was?

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#41re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/25/06 at 7:34pm

No, the producers were unable to ineterst any labels in recording the revival of LA CAGE.

Revival cast albums do not usually sell as well as the originals.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

riv
#42re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/26/06 at 11:01am

I would like to know if the original cast of 1945's POLONAISE was ever recorded. Stanley Green has it listed in the discography in the back of his "Encyclopedia of the Musical Theater" and has Cadmen as the label, but I've never found anything out about it.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#43re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/26/06 at 11:31am

POLONAISE is not a the Broadway cast. It was recorded by Victor as an album of selections from the show featuring the Al Goodman orchestra and soloists. Goodman recorded a dozen of so operettas for Victor in the 1940s and many of these were reissued on the budget Camden label in the late 1950s.

The Camden LP is POLONAISE is backed by selections from Victor Herbert's EILEEN and so far the only album we have of that score (which Herbert always claimed to be his favourite amongst all his operettas.) It is a very rare Lp, and one that I have never tracked down.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

philcrosby
#44re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/26/06 at 11:47am

Re: The Kern/Herbert project

Two things for sure: (1) John McGlinn is no longer associated with the project and (2) the project funder (I always get confused whether it was a Hewlett or a Packard heir) owns the project lock, stock and barrel.

It also seems that all involved -- including performers -- are "not allowed" (read: legally forbidden) to talk about any phase of the project.

I knew John extremely well a number of years ago, and I think the comments made by nobodyhome are fair in terms of what has happened to the Maestro's career. A shame, because he is an extremely talented man who is passionate about this art form. His recordings of SHOW BOAT and BRIGADOON can certainly be considered unrivaled in their quality, and must-haves for anyone who loves musical theatre.
Updated On: 5/26/06 at 11:47 AM

riv
#45re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/26/06 at 12:28pm

This has turned out to be the most valuable thread around here.

Thanks to "frontrowcentre2" for all his info, and "philcrosby" for his update on the Kern-Herbert situation.

Great stuff, guys.

AuditioningWaitress
#46re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/26/06 at 3:39pm

When gcal wrote "the broadway production of FALSETTOS was recorded, but never released."...My heart skipped a beat! Thanks for setting the record straight Will...Plus I was going to PM you and beg for a copy! : )

Some cast albums I know that were recorded but never released are:

ANGEL (a musical version of LOOK HOMEWARD ANGEL)...according to Ken Mandelbaum in NOT SINCE CARRIE "A cast album was recorded which was never commercially released but was distributed out of Rose's (the producer & director) office."

There was also a cassette only of the English version of METRO that was recorded for the Tony voters.

And Off-Broadway, a recording of THUNDER KNOCKING ON THE DOOR which was recorded but so far hasn't seen the light of day.

Dollypop
#47re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/26/06 at 7:04pm

I'd love to own the London cast album of MAME with Ginger Rogers. I understand it was recorded but Rogers wouldn't allow its release.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#48re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/26/06 at 7:35pm

wasn't BARE fully recorded and not released? I had heard yes and no. Would be a huge shame if it was and then the show never got off the ground.

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

Scottie310
#49re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/27/06 at 12:20pm

I never heard about Bare being fully recorded. I think it might of had plans to be recorded once it opened but when it never re-opened, it never got recorded. I could be making that whole thing up though. If it did get recorded, I wish they would release it.

Is there a reason these recordings never get released? I mean they already spent all the money for the recording studio, they might as well release the CD and at least make a little money off of it.

Videos