pixeltracker

Questions about "Company" libretto- Page 2

Questions about "Company" libretto

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#25re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 11:11am

Yea. I was kidding you. The Follies thing... it was a joke.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

timote316
#26re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 11:13am

Ah, ok. I guess the 5th revival of Fiddler didnt affect my high school in MA. Thanks for the info!

showtunesguy89
#27re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 12:12pm

It's a great thing to see that people around my age are willing to do this kind of a show. I absolutely love Company. However, the non-linear storyline (as said before) might lose some interest in the show; however, seeing that my school put on a production of "Lend Me A Tenor," where sex was prevalent throughout, I don't see that the idea of Company at a school is absolutely unfeasible. The smoking pot, if true, should be done safely; however, it's not absolutely necessary. After all, Company is a montage of various one-act plays strung together by the lead role of Robert. Cutting one out shouldn't ruin the whole thing because the coherent whole can still be maintained somehow. I've seen this done before in summer camp when my Broadway class (with me as the lead role of Ren, lol) did only eight scenes out of the whole musical. It still worked, especially with constraints of time (and perhaps with appropriate content). However, you should absolutely talk to directors and anyone else associated with rights to the show. Don't give up simply because of policy! See if you can stretch the limits out a bit. I hope that this helped. Good Luck!

-"Seymour," a high school junior

P.S. Age shouldn't play a major role in determining the competence of actors to portray married men and women. In fact, the age difference may allow you all to put a spin on it, seeing that the demographic seems to relate well to bouts of promiscuity and everything else, as the premise of the original show was infidelity and promiscuity.

markymatt
#28re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 12:24pm

Okay, I never post here, but FYI:

"Responsibilities of the Producing Organization

During rehearsals, the director or producer may find that some changes are required to make the show work in their theatre. Or they may feel making "minor adjustments" to a show (such as changing the gender of a character or changing the name of a town to give it local significance) is inconsequential to its integrity, or believe they have the right to "experiment" with the authors' intentions as an expression of their artistic vision.

This is not the case.

When you are granted a performance license, by law the show you license must be performed "as is." You have no right to make any changes at all unless you have obtained prior written permission from us to do so. Otherwise, any changes violate the authors' rights under federal copyright law. Without prior permission from MTI, your actions may subject you to liability - not only to the authors, but also to us - for breaching the terms of your license agreement, which clearly forbids you to make any changes or deletions. Occasionally, new versions of shows are created when the authors or someone the authors have approved reconceives the piece. However, only the authors have the right to make these revisions, and they rarely grant third parties permission to do so. If you feel you must experiment with reconceiving a show, there are many already in the public domain (Shakespeare, Gilbert and Sullivan) which are no longer protected by U.S. copyright law. It's important to remember that under Federal copyright law, not only can the director or producer who decided to change the work be held liable, but the entire production staff, cast and crew -- even the owner of the building, can be held liable, whether or not they knew they were part of a willful violation of copyright law."
MTI Website FAQ

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#29re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 12:34pm

Why would you want to do a show you would have to change? Why would you want to do a show you would have to cut entire scenes from? Pick a show that is more appropriate... and suits you better. I know it seems cool for young people to play grown ups. I know it seems like a good idea to you that high schooler sings Being Alive and The Ladies Who Lunch. In most cases it's not.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#30re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 1:53pm

markymatt---Good information for all to know and take note.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#31re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 2:16pm

I've never got to see a production of "Company" but I know the Music and basic story very well.

I say go for it because if you're able to pull it off, then you've really accomplished something.

Jon
#32re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 2:24pm

The entire scene with Jenny and David is ABOUT SMOKING POT. If you taker out the pot smoking, there is no scene. You might as well eliminate the characters. Jenny and David are "the couple that smokes pot", just as Harry and Sarah are "the couple that does karate" and Amy and Paul are "the couple that's getting married".

And yes, IT IS ILLEGAL to cut a line or two.

benjamingullett Profile Photo
benjamingullett
#33re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 2:24pm

fiyero8132: "But just to be clear, adding to the show is illegal - eliminating a line or two is not."

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

If this is your thinking you may not want to even touch a show like "Company," especially with your concern of pot usage. Any other questions refer back to MarkyMatt's dead-on post.

Go see JACOB MARLEY'S CHRISTMAS CAROL this December 19 - 20 at The Colony Theater in Hillsboro, Ohio. For more information visit: http://www.jacobmarley.net

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#34re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 2:30pm

The roles on COMPANY are a stretch and I can see High School students thinking to play it as almost a parody of their parents.

DON'T.

Nothing can derail a show faster. Here's a thought: Some of the banter the couples say is them "acting" for the benefit of those around them. But underneath that the performers have to portray the yearnings, small hurts, and private joys of these characters. Look at the lyric for "Being Alive." All the things Robert lists there should have been seen all evening in the performances of the married couples.

Age isn't really an issue. I saw a community college production last fall and the students there gave realistic and believable performances. I have also seen adult casts all but ruin the show.

Don't spoof it. Make it real. Don't play 35 years olds...BE 35 year olds. Re and re-read the text (AND stage directions.)

As for the pot smoking scene, at a Q&A someone asked Sondheim if he would allow high schol productions to cut it. He replied that George Furth (bookwriter) would have to make that call but Sondheim would advise against it pointing out that unless the students had been fed nothing but Disney films, they have seen it already in movies and TV shows.

Depending how "blue" your state is, you may have more trouble with the scene where Robert and April hook up for an evening. It requires both actors to undress on stage and get into bed together and it is quite clear that this is a one-night-stand (that's what "Barcelona" is all about) and the "Tick Tock" dance demonstrates the difference between making love and having sex. (When the music rises near the end before April quietly says "I Love You," that is the orgasm.) I can see some parents being uncomfortable with this scene.

Be careful casting Bobby. He must not be played in any way shape or form as having a hint of gayness. (There is a scene late in the show where one of the husbands comes on to Bobby and gets him to admit that he has had a homesexual experience. This should surprise because Bobby has only been seen with girls and also because the script calls for him to be handsome in a normal somehwat square way, without any style flamboyance.) That said, if you Bobby is extrememly hetero the undressing scene will be a problem :)

Allow a long rehersal period. Encourage yur cast to listen to the original cast album. (AVOID all the others.) As you go along, they will find millions of subtle details (subtext) that make the show that much richer.

Oh. And have fun!

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

WOSQ
#35re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 2:56pm

Company is a deeply layered show that is very very complex emotionally. Underneath some terrifically funny scenes is a mood of loneliness and sadness. You need a dynamite director who can pull performances out of actors that they may be able to replicate.

The role of Robert is but an example. Here is a man who is a cypher, unknowable. He is the 'best friend' to 10 smart New Yorkers, yet only one, Joanne, really gets an idea of who he is and what he really needs and wants. The couples paste their ideas of who they think he is onto him. He cannot be too transparent, but he has to be of interest for these 10 smart people plus three girlfriends.

Try to play recessive and fascinating. Not easy. We have to know when he says to Amy "Marry me." that he is serious. When she takes it as a joke, it tears his heart out and ours too, all without anything being directly said. This is only one scene.

Remember too, that the billing reads "Company, a Musical Comedy". Find the laughs. This is what made the original so legendary. If there are no laughs in each scene except the end scene of each act, you've missed it.

This is one hard show to get.

Musically the cast will spend as much time on all the "Bobby Babys", each and every "Bobby Bubi" is different, than they will on the rest of the score combined.

I would not recommend this show except for the very mature companies. But if you choose it, good luck. Knock 'em dead.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

fiyero8132
#36re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 3:04pm

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. I have total faith in my group that we are ready for Company. We may not be the true ages of the characters. But hey - that's what they call acting. We are not going to cut anything (i.e. the pot scene). Everyone is mature enough to handle it. We can do this show. It will be an incredible learning experience. Yes, if it comes off well then we'll have accomplished a ton. And if not, it will be a great lesson in the art of theatre.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#37re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 3:06pm

I would not do Company if I were 17. It's too detailed and complex. Try Into the Woods or even Assassins to start off with.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

fiyero8132
#38re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 3:07pm

Just did Into The Woods at another theatre where the majority of the cast is going to be in this production. We're sick of it. Also, a theatre in our area just finished a run of Assassins. But thanks for trying!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#39re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 3:35pm

Hmmm, tough question. Have you thought of Pacific Overtures?

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

fiyero8132
#40re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 4:05pm

That's a great suggestion. We'll look into it. But I think we are aiming for Company because we are certain of our group's potential to pull it off. Besides, in the situation that it does not come off well, who gets hurt? It's a learning experience. No major consequences :)

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#41re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 4:08pm

I'm just interested in why you are so dead set on doing a show that should not really have any relevance to your lives as high schoolers. It's not so much about if you can hit all the notes... I just don't see why you want to do a show about marriage and all of that... there are better shows out there... and ones that would be more relevant and meaningful to you and your audience.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

sicetergo
#42re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 5:52pm

"The entire scene with Jenny and David is ABOUT SMOKING POT. "

Of course it's not. It's about the relationship between Jenny and David - if it was removed one would have to think of another vehicle to display that relationship, but on this occasion George Furth alighted on this one.

Gothampc
#43re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 6:01pm

"B) Is there anything really race in the libretto? Coarse language is fine, alchohol usage is do-able, the "Tick Tock" number is manageable, but is there anything else we should be aware of? I've heard that there is a scene in which David and Jenny smoke pot. Is this a script-specific necessity? Are there any lines that require it? How might it be avoided?"

the pot smoking is necessary

Robert and April are in bed together. Are your actors mature enough for that?

homosexual dialogue. Are your actors mature enough for that?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#44re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 6:35pm

I don't understand why "Company" should be taboo for high school kids... any more than Fiddler on the Roof or Damn Yankees.

It's called ACTING, and it's "make believe." Let's have a "sacred cow" check, shall we?

And I've seen one hell of a good 17-year-old Tevye, by the way. And a great Lola and Applegate too (18 and 16 years old, respectively).

While I woudn't bounce them to Broadway just yet in these parts, I do understand what I'm looking at here. It's a high school production!

Do you go to Little League games and think, "These 10-year-olds could never play in the Majors right now?"

(maybe I'm asking the wrong crowd that question...)

Gothampc
#45re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 6:56pm

"I don't understand why "Company" should be taboo for high school kids"

Same reason "Oh! Calcutta!" is taboo for high school kids.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#46re: Questions about 'Company' libretto
Posted: 6/1/06 at 7:08pm

I don't remember any breasts or buns or frontal nudity in any production of Company I've ever seen.

While there are mature themes in the show, they aren't any worse than Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Children's Hour, West Side Story, The Crucible or Hair. (or many other examples that all have mature plot points or subject matter)

Yet high schools will put those shows on, year after year.

...But they're no "Oh, Calcutta!"

Updated On: 6/1/06 at 07:08 PM

Videos