pixeltracker

The "Can Someone Please Explain ____" Thread- Page 2

The "Can Someone Please Explain ____" Thread

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#25re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 4:57pm

Carol Channing has an amazing onstage prescence. She has a load of comedic talent, and can hold an audience captive. True, her singing voice is a little...unique, but she sure can make you laugh. Plus- she has had the enormous fortune of strring in some of Broadway's biggest hits.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck
Updated On: 9/17/06 at 04:57 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#26re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 5:01pm

I think Carol Channing has a splendid voice.

Listen to the 1994 version of HELLO, DOLLY!, and then the 1964 version. The latter in angelic in comparison.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#27re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 5:07pm

How about Kate Reinders?

Talk about the "I-just-don't-get-it" of the century.

SweetQintheLights
#28re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 5:29pm

I agree with the Idina Menzel

Ok- she is good. That is all. Good, as in- many other people on Broadway.

What did she DO that caused all the hype? Was it because she was in RENT? WICKED? Broke her rib?
*whoops, did I say that?*

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

bwayondabrain
#29re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 5:44pm

i think being in both RENT and WICKED which are both very popular shows, and yeah, just for her voice and everything, it just made her popular
i love her a lot, and all, but i dont get the whole annoying fan thing...just a bit over-done...

bwayondabrain
#30re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 5:45pm

alright, i dont get Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick
i dont find them that funny

that is all.

broadway_socialite Profile Photo
broadway_socialite
#31re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 5:49pm

Melissa Jarret Winoker (sp)? I honestly can't listen to my hairspray recording because her voice is so grating on my nerves. Yeah, she's kinda funny, but who else besides tracy can she play?

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#32re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 5:54pm

I think Marissa is super talented. She made her debut in a show about acceptance. I have some "overweight" friends trying to make it in the business, and she's given them hope to do so. She's proven that you don't need to be a size 2 to win a Tony. I can understand what your saying about her voice being "grating" but keep in mind that she's using a character voice.

SweetQintheLights
#33re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 5:56pm

Speaking of voices, Kristin Chenoweth.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

bwayondabrain
#34re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 5:59pm

sorry, but I love Kristin- she is my favorite performer of all time
she is very talented, has an amazing voice, and is funny and charming
im not a "diehard" Kristin fan, but i respect her very much
re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread

thevolleyballer
#35re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 6:00pm

To reiterate what allie said, it's a character voice. Watch her on "Stacked" or anywhere else and you'll see that her voice isn't anything near the same. Still, I understand how you think it can be grating, but it's all for the sake of the show. She's not a stellar singer, but she can do what Tracy needs to. She's just so, so funny. Watch this video.

I don't get Nathan Lane, because his voice just BOTHERS me. I can't listen to it. After Producers, Frogs, and G&D, you'd think producers would have enough of the whole shrill nasal thing!
Backstage with Marissa

alliez92092
#36re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 6:02pm

While I do think Kristin Chenoweth is quite talented, all of her roles seem to be the same to me. There's not that much difference in her characters.

flicker_ Profile Photo
flicker_
#37re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 6:07pm

I don't get Idina Menzel. She's just okay... There's nothing that completely sensational about her, and I think the only reason for her popularity is because she was in popular shows. The shows made her who she is, not her own talent.

Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings.

broadway_socialite Profile Photo
broadway_socialite
#38re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 6:07pm

I watched Marissa in some movie about a beauty pageant, and she sang in that, but used that same, awaful nasally voice. So, maybe she uses the character voice all the time? I just can't stand it

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#39re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 6:10pm

Marissa is HILARIOUS in that broadway.com video.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

thevolleyballer
#40re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 6:27pm

Marissa is HILARIOUS in that broadway.com video.

I swear, I've watched that video more times than I can count. It cracks me up at the same places every single time.

ThankstoPhantom
#41re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 7:03pm

I think Kristin Chenoweth becomes too much of herself and will be haunted with that through the rest of her career unless he does something different...

In Wicked, yeah, she was good, but she wasn't anything special...She's just too calm...she doesn't have any dynamic energy on the stage...I think she should have gone into opera (whenever I've seen/heard her sing oepra, she's 10X better than anything she's done on Broadway).

I think the obsessivefaness of a performer is just bizare...same thing with shows...be a phan, mizzie, jekkie...but be a dedicated fan, not a OMG I LUVZZZZ HERR!!11 fan.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#42re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 9:09pm

John Lithgow. HE's hysterical, but why does he get cast in musicals?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

alliez92092
#43re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 9:56pm

John Lithgow says himself he's not that great of a singer, but he can sing. And he's such an amazing actor that it makes up for everything. Even with Norbert, DRS wouldn'tve been as great as it was without John.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#44re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 10:16pm

I know someone already explained Carol Channing but, I listened to her sing and she kinda creeped me out.
Updated On: 9/17/06 at 10:16 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#45re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 10:19pm

Matthew Broderick. His singing and acting is okay. Nothing seems special about him to me.

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#46re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/18/06 at 7:00am

Someone explain Patti Lupone! I don't see the appeal at all!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

Videos