Fave movie musical?

Freckles1329 Profile Photo
Freckles1329
#25re: Fave movie musical?
Posted: 11/12/06 at 11:05am

Reefer Madness

"For example, if I should paint my fingernails green - and it just so happens I do paint them green. Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say: 'I think it's pretty!'"

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#26re: Fave movie musical?
Posted: 11/12/06 at 11:15am

The Wizard of Oz
Beauty and the Beast
The Sound of Music
My Fair Lady
Little Shop of Horrors
Funny Girl
Footloose
Strictly Ballroom
Waiting for Guffman
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
There's No Business Like Show Business
A Mighty Wind
Top Hat
Holiday Inn
Camp

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#27Up there, where the air is clear...
Posted: 11/12/06 at 11:39am

Those are all nice movies folks, but for me there is only one choice:

"South Park, Bigger Longer and Uncut"

Seriously, Marc Shaiman is a genius.

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#28Up there, where the air is clear...
Posted: 11/12/06 at 12:14pm

But Singin' in the Rain is a must. When I was 9 years old I planned my wedding to Gene Kelly. That's not weird is it? I didn't think so.

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#29Up there, where the air is clear...
Posted: 11/12/06 at 12:29pm

HELLO, DOLLY!

(prepares to be shot)

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

moulinrougehk Profile Photo
moulinrougehk
#30Up there, where the air is clear...
Posted: 11/12/06 at 12:32pm

Yes! "Hello, Dolly!" actually is a very promising movie musical! It's good to watch when you just want to relax!

Somebody sit in my chair, and ruin my sleep, and make me aware of being alive!
Updated On: 11/12/06 at 12:32 PM

goofy108 Profile Photo
goofy108
#31fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 1:54pm

Definetly Rent.

Love the show. Love the movie.

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#32fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 1:57pm

+Guys and Dolls.
+Chicago
+Moulin Rouge

Paulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
#33fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 2:16pm

i have to also say Cabaret. Any director who can through out the original book, and score and start from scratch has got to be brave. Fosse was a master at doin that. I never really felt that Cabaret was a real musical, more like a drama with songs.

I would be interesting to see what kind of movie we would have seen if Fosse had stuck with the original score. Rememeber that without the movie we wouldnt have had Mein Herr, Two Ladies or even Maybe this time, which in my opionion is one of the best Kander & Ebb songs ever.

I have seen the original show, and yes it is fantastic. The movie is just another interpritation of that.

In my view thats what they should do with Wicked if they decide to turn it into a film. Through out the score and the book and start from scratch.

ashley0139
#34fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 2:44pm

Obvious, but Chicago and Sound of Music.

I thought the Chicago movie was far superior to the musical. The movie was quite impressive, while the show bored me.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

moulinrougehk Profile Photo
moulinrougehk
#35fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 2:52pm

OMG! You said this? What cast did you watch? And you think Bob Fosse's choreography is no way compare to Rob Marshall's?

Somebody sit in my chair, and ruin my sleep, and make me aware of being alive!

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#36fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 3:14pm

While I love almost all of the movies that you have mentioned (except for "Rent" and "The Producers" which I haven't seen), but, when I read the title of this thread, one title leapt to my mind and heart.

'Lil Abner

You can practically feel yourself sitting in the St. James Theater while you watch it.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#37fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 3:31pm

Some of my faves include:

Singin in the Rain
Call Me Madam
Funny Girl
Gypsy (1962)
The Producers
Cabaret
Funny Face
Easter Parade
Meet Me in St. Louis
and many many others

Yes I even enjoyed (not saying it's great) but enjoyed MAME

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#38fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 3:50pm

I saw LI'L ABNER at the St. James when I was in high school, in 1957. It was my 2nd Broadway show(PETER PAN was my first), and I loved it. I recently bought the DVD of the movie and agree that it pretty much replicates the Broadway show, most importantly with the dancing which was based on the famous Michael Kidd's original choreography--it is real Broadway style dancing, not "movie style" dancing. I only regret that Edie Adams, the Broadway Daisy Mae, wasn't in the movie. She had a great voice.But the other two leads, Peter Palmer and Stubby Kaye, are from the Broadway show. The movie of LI'L ABNER comes closest to its Broadway predecessor than any other movie I can think of. It is not overblown Hollywood.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#39fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 3:55pm

Evita. I really liked it, plus it's the only thing from Madonna that I can bring myself to listen to.

Julian2
#40fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 4:09pm

Hello Dolly!
And from the clips on Le Site Forbidden, Mame looks enjoyable.

*Brings a few bullet proof jackets and distributes them, just in case*

P.S. Two Ladies was in the original broadway production, and Maybe This Time was a K/E trunk song Liza had been singing for some time. Only Mein Herr, the new Money song, and maybe The Tiller Girls was written for the movie.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#41fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 4:45pm

Funny Girl, West Side Story, Chicago.

And rocky horror is amazing!

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

Paulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
#42fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 5:02pm

My apologies Julian2, but you've got to agree it's a pretty good movie.

I must bring up Bugsy Malone, which is a guilty pleasure from being a child. I still love it now.

bwaylvsong
#43fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 5:40pm

Chicago
Kiss Me, Kate (both well-known versions)
Oklahoma! (ditto)
Hello, Dolly!
The Producers
Carousel
Guys & Dolls
Evita
TSoM
MFL
and many Disney ones

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#44fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 5:45pm

Singin' in the Rain

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#45fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 6:06pm

Amen to that, Brother Scarey. "Sinin' in the Rain" is IMHO the best musical ever filmed. "An Amreican in Paris" is second. It's interesting that Gene Kelly did so little Broadway (one lead, one straight play, twice in the chorus, three direction/choreography) yet he so utterly mastered the medium on film. After that, I would nominate anything Fred Astaire moved his left foot in. AND OF COURSE THE WIZARD OF OZ which is the greatest cross-appeal musical ever filmed: kids, adults, men, women, gay, straight... Hell, I bet it's enjoyed on other planets, we've been broadcasting it so long.....

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

glimpseofstocking Profile Photo
glimpseofstocking
#46fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 7:06pm

HELLO, DOLLY!

(prepares to be shot)

I love the Hello, Dolly movie!!!! Even if Barbra Streisand was too young, I still think she was great in it. But then again, she's great in practically everything...

There wouldn't be lights bright enough!

Julian2
#47fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 7:11pm

My apologies Julian2, but you've got to agree it's a pretty good movie.

You will get no argument from me!

*Goes off to find an appropriate chair . . .*

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

JustABroadwaybaby2
#48fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 7:17pm

Moulin Rouge is very good... has it ever been turned itno a stage musical? Do you think it might work?

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#49fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 7:32pm

AFAIK, Gene Kelly directed one Broadway musical and choreographed another, that was it. That choreography listing for Singin' in the Rain was just a contractual acknowledgement type of thing. It really was mostly Tharp. I wouldn't particularly count the choreography credit for The Time of Your Life, since it was just the bits of hoofing that Kelly created for himself in the Saroyan play.

Haven't seen the Cabaret movie in a while, but IIRC that "Tiller Girls" arrangement is pretty close to what's in the show at the top of Act Two.

And the choreography in the Chicago revival is not Fosse (except for "Hot Honey Rag," also used in the film), though it's "in the style" of Fosse.

Updated On: 11/12/06 at 07:32 PM

Videos