The Apple Tree.... Darn

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#25re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 4:28pm

'See it soon, if you want to see it. I can't imagine it lasting.'

What part of 'limited run' and 'through March 11th' don't you understand? They aren't planning to take this to the Gershwin for cripes sake..it's in a less than 1000 seat theatre for a LIMITED engagement.

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#26re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 4:41pm

"What part of 'limited run' and 'through March 11th' don't you understand? They aren't planning to take this to the Gershwin for cripes sake..it's in a less than 1000 seat theatre for a LIMITED engagement."

Oversensitive!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#27re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 4:46pm

'Oversensitive!'

No..just tired of those that spout off on things they obviously know nothing of.

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#28re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 5:01pm

Hearing about the minimal set is depressing...I don't know the show that well but it seems like the Garden Of Eden should be pretty extravagant, no?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#29re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 11:15pm

Not really extravagant but definitely "pretty" and it ain't.
And, yes it doesn't help that they use the whole stage for a three character Act.
Close it in for Gosh sake!
Also, did anyone else have trouble understanding Alan Alda's voice over at the beginning as God?

Yankeefan007
#30re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 11:20pm

I've heard that (about Alda's voice). Seems like a sound problem.

mattyp4
#31re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 11:41pm

I didn't have too much trouble understanding God's voice from the "mid mezzanine" (read: a few rows from the back out the house). But I am in agreement that the stage was way too barren looking. Especially in the first act, when Brian & Kristin seemed to be swallowed up by the gargantuan, empty stage. It needed something-- ANYTHING! It was downright cavernous up there! And the repetitive jokes & bland songs weren't enough to keep my attention. My eyes kept wandering to the ladders & such. I kept wondering if it was supposed to look like that.

HeyJayNYC Profile Photo
HeyJayNYC
#32re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 11:46pm

I disagree! I just got back from seeing the show tonight, Friday. I too saw the Encores production. For those who didn't hear, Kristin fell during a rehearsal and got hurt. She must still be in some pain because there is a huge bruise on her right armpit in the back.
Yet, she was utterly charming. I disagree that she is just doing the same schtick.
I thought Marc Kudish was much better then Michael Cerevis, but thought Malcolm Gets was a bit better then Brian.
The set was a bit of a disapointment, but I felt the music and the lighting and the stars did the best they could and I enjoyed it.
I do agree the first act seemed a little long, but I attributed that to the accident and just getting used to it all. That is what previews are for.
All this negativity is so harmful. Seems to me most of the supposed Broadway fans on here are the meanest bunch of critics I've seen outside of a cathouse!
If most of these criticisms made a financial impact, nothing would be open on Broadway.
Lighten up and enjoy!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#33re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 11:48pm

I appreciate your enthusiasm (and I haven't seen the show yet, I see it tomorrow) but not everyone can be expected to like everything. Given that 80% of any Broadway season is garbage, what do you expect?

Though I am glad you liked the show, and I hope I feel the same way.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CurtainPullDowner
#34re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 12:01am

What exactly did she fall off of?
The steps in ACT II?
They did seem a bit tricky.
"charming" (which she certainly is) only goes a short way.

VIETgrlTerifa
#35re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 12:14am

How much time is it between previews and opening night? I know nothing will probably change, but I'm trying to stay hopeful that they'll fix things that people are criticizing before opening night.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

CurtainPullDowner
#36re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 12:19am

Opening night is in two weeks and the Roundabout doesn't change too much because they have a subscription and this show is probably sold well due to the Encores reviews.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#37re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 12:21am

Just got home. The show was fabulous. Loved Kristin, Brian and Marc. Yes, the sets were minimal, but I honestly enjoyed this more than Encores (and I raved about that too). I hope it gets excellent reviews. Go see it!

CurtainPullDowner
#38re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 12:33am

U liked the shirtless boys Without a Trace.
Did u not think Kristen was just doing her same old stuff?

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#39re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 12:59am

I saw the Friday night performance and really enjoyed it.

Agree that it's anticlimactic (which is obviously the point with a certain act but perhaps shouldn't be with a certain other act) and the sets aren't fit for Broadway. However, Chenoweth does break from her 'routine' at the end of the first act - which I found moving in a way much more sincere than "I Have Been Changed for Good" in Wicked - and anyway, it's a routine that obviously works for the people lined up at the stage door for her autograph so why stray from it?

I really enjoyed D'Arcy James. The material doesn't really allow him to be hysterically funny but he does manage to create four distinct characters. His 'Real' number with the chorus is the best in the show.

Am glad to say that this show has also left me interested in Kudisch's career. Hey, I like fey on a big man (or at least one who appears big on stage; in person, he, D'Arcy James and Chenoweth are all rather short).

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#40re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 1:06am

I guess they figured why bother with an impressive set for a limited run

I remember the original & had intended to see this version but after reading the comments may just take a pass unless it pops up on TDF

Poster Emeritus

CurtainPullDowner
#41re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 1:18am

So why hire John Lee Beaty who is an excellent designer?

and it's already on TDF and Tkts.

WithoutATrace
#42re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 1:24am

Yes, Curtain, the shirtless men were a nice bonus to a very satisfying evening.

Kristin was playing Kristin for the most part, but that is what I expected of her and that is what her fans want to see. I did notice a bit of Sally from YAGMCB come out, where appropriate, and loved it. The song that got the most applause was "Gorgeous" where Kristin was totally doing her thing and the audience ate it up. The song that I felt she was best at tonight was "What Makes Me Love Him." It was heartbreaking, she was very emotional during the song, and her voice sounded fantastic. Even though she may be a "one-trick pony," I still love her.
Updated On: 12/2/06 at 01:24 AM

wexy
#43re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 1:34am

I saw it tonight as well and I really enjoyed. It wasn't about the sets, Its just a nice light evening which was moving as well.
Kristen is a wonderful peformer and seeing her is truly a treat.
D'Arcy James and Kudisch were fine as well.

I got to meet Marc Kudisch and a few of the ensemble people at Cafe Iguana afterwards and all they're all really nice folks.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

Fabrizio2
#44re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 1:46am

Do you think seeing it in the Rear or Front Mezzanine is worth it?

Thanks

WithoutATrace
#45re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 2:08am

I was in the very last row of the theater, saw everything fine and loved the show. See it any way you can!

Fabrizio2
#46re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 2:11am

Great. If I can see it well, I would rather pay $36 than $111

WithoutATrace
#47re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/2/06 at 2:11am

Yes, it is well worth the $36...I will probably see it 4-5 times in this price range.

Videos