The Apple Tree.... Darn

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#1The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 1:00am

I so wanted to love this show, saw the original many times and am a fan of Cheno etc.
But I was very let down.
First of all Cheno, quite a disapointment
She has the most incredible voice and comic timimg
but all she does in this show is repeat her schtick.
And where she got a chance to show some acting in
THE DIARY OF ADAM AND EVE, she just didn't.
A strong director should have gotten more out of her.
Brian D'Arcy is the performance to applaud, he shows subtle and funny acting and his voice is just so sweet.
Kudish is in fine voice, but kinda wasted.
He is best as the Balladeer, sorry he played gay (or Fey) as the Snake.
The set (John Lee Beaty, one of the Best)is also not up to par, The characters keep saying Eden is beautiful, but it was just Planks and ladders.
Jess Goldstein's costumes are fine till the Third act.
and Donald Holder's lighting (he should get a Tony nom for THE TIMES...) is his weakest this year so far.
The score sounds amazing, which it is and Tunick has of course lived up to the challange of a smaller, but terrific orchestra.
Andy Blankenbuehler's Choreography is messy and annoying in the the Thrid Act. The ensemble is moving way too much in "Who IS She and Wealth" Just let Cheno sing.
I think older audiences will apprecaite the music and stories here, but It just didn't "break thru" to a re invention of a show I really liked.
I don't like to compare performances but Barbara Harris does not have a voice like Cheno, but her acting and vunerability was more delicious.
ROUNDABOUT, bring on "110 In the Shade"
and make it Rain!

Updated On: 12/1/06 at 01:00 AM

rose_pearl Profile Photo
rose_pearl
#1re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 1:04am

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it. But I am glad that someone finally pointed out d'Arcy and didn't make it all about Chenoweth. I'm afraid he and Marc are getting shut out from the praise they deserve.

~*Sara*~

Who would play you in the movie? "Taye Diggs." --Brian d'Arcy James

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#2re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 1:07am

Well, thanks for the review. Sorry that you were let down. I'm gonna be in the city for one day on Saturday and I was gonna see this show, but now I'm just the tiniest bit wary. I'm glad to hear Brian was good though, I was so excited when I heard he was going to be in it.

CurtainPullDowner
#3re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 1:16am

It's not a review, just my thoughts.
If you Like D'Arcey see it for sure.
He gets to show some sides he hasn't before and he is terrific.
And you should decide for yourself.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#4re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 1:22am

Hey, that's all a review is anyway. Well, thanks for your thoughts. I'll definitely check it out.

ashley0139
#5re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 1:33am

So glad Brian was good! I really hope I will get to see this.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#6re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 1:41am

Glad to hear positive things about Brian. re: The Apple Tree.... Darn

mattyp4
#7re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 11:00am

I thought EVERYTHING about this show was DULL: From the acting, to the sets (or lack thereof), even down to the book & score (I wasn't familiar with the original). D-U-L-L. Never have I been so bored at a show! And there was just a total lack of energy on stage last night. I know it was only the second performance, but the actors seemed to be walking through their roles. And the audience response was tepid at best. The jokes fell flat. I noticed lots of walkouts, too. I would have taken off in the middle of the first act if my friend didn't want to stay... but he didn't end up liking it either. What a waste.

Sorry. Don't mean to sound like a crank, but I REALLY hated this show. The worst show of the season... next to Times They Are A Changin', of course. God bless 'em.

Updated On: 12/1/06 at 11:00 AM

VIETgrlTerifa
#8re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 11:18am

I hope they get back to the same form they were in during the Encores production where most people were raving about it.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#9re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 11:20am

The score has some real beauties in it, but the show itself wasn't all that beloved when it debuted in the 60s. I remember the reviews, frankly, and they all said the same thing people are voicing now -- it was worth seeing for Harris. She wrapped it around her finger.

But good as she is, Chenoweth isn't (yet?) Barbara Harris. Harris dared to play the three women as ... well, women ... and Ms. Chenoweth still embues all her roles with that Charlie Brown child-woman sensibility. She's past 35 now, and she should find her inner woman, and rid herself of of the inner cute and precious. It won't serve her as she grows.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

VIETgrlTerifa
#10re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 11:23am

Auggie, I'm a big Chenoweth fan, and I feared that this would happen. I was excited about this because we'd finally see her mature as an actress. I mean this is a perfect opportunity for her to branch out. In the Encores production, I heard many people raving about it calling Chenoweth the real deal. Even Margo Channing thought Chenoweth nailed it. It's disappointing if she regressed back to Sally Brown/Bored Glinda.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

mattyp4
#11re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 11:32am

Yeah, I tried to avoid referencing Chenoweth directly in my little analysis b/c that's ALL people are commenting on, but I'm in agreement with Auggie: She's playing the SAME old Kristin Chenoweth that we've already seen in Charlie Brown & Wicked. Personally, I don't get her appeal. Yeah, she's talented, but she seems to be a one-trick pony. She can play a bubbly ham for only so long. And that's all she does in Apple Tree. I wanted more substance.

Admittedly, she is the draw for this show & she will be the one selling tickets, but I found her to be quite a let-down, along with just about every other aspect to this show. Ouch!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#12re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 1:33pm

Is that a surprise? Kristin Chenoweth has always played the same thing.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#13re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 1:40pm

I'm seeing it this evening and still expecting to LOVE it...I hope I am not disappointed.

jasobres
#14re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 1:50pm

You know why I think you're all upset about the lack of sets. I think it's because it's missing something.....YES, THE ORCHESTRA! As everyone knows, in every ENCORES! production (with the exception of Allegro, where the orchestra was in the pit), the orchestra is usually on stage. That explains the bare sets.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

mattyp4
#15re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 2:02pm

Perhaps, but this isn't an Encores production anymore. It's a Roundabout-produced, Broadway revial. So if you're going to take the Encores orchestra out, put something back in. I personally got tired of staring at ladders & brick walls.

DarlinDarla14
#16re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 2:03pm

I loved The Apple Tree, and I thought Kristin did an amazing job! Every comment I heard afterwards in the theater was positive. It's such a charming, simple show. Kristin was wonderful, and made each role different. Read the glowing reviews of her in the Encores production- everything they said is still true.

wexy
#17re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 2:06pm

I'll be there tonight as well. I shall see...

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

Yankeefan007
#18re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 2:10pm

And I, tomorrow.

Having seen Chenoweth in the role that won her a Tony - Sally Brown (in a very slow year may I add), James in Titanic and a bunch of other things, and Kudisch in pretty much everything he's done, I look forward to them in this. They're all very dynamic performers, to say the least.

CurtainPullDowner
#19re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 3:31pm

I actually did go back and read Brantley's review after I saw the show, and yes he did rave about Cheno as he did with WICKED,
But i totally disagree, she relies on many old tricks, she even repeats the Evita pose she used in WICKED and the little temper tantrum she used in CHARLIE BROWN. It will be interestimg to see who reviews THE APPLE TREE for the Times this time around.
I hope they give it to Isherwood cause I can barely read Brantley anymore and we all know how Cheno just has to open her mouth and Brantley creams. As far as the set goes, this is not just a reproduction of ENCORES, it's a fully (somewhat) re staged production and the sets didn't cut it for me. They look cheap and somewhat cheesy.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#20re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 3:36pm

Well, Gary Griffin has not exactly done excellent work in New York before...I hope they pull it together.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#21re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 3:40pm

I agree; the sets were pretty bad. It did feel like the stage was missing the orchestra (which still sounded great BTW).

I'm starting to be convinced that Griffin, just isn't a very skilled director...

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#22re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 3:49pm

I waited all my life to see this at Encores and had a great time. When I heard that they were bringing it to Broadway, I thought they were crazy.

See it soon, if you want to see it. I can't imagine it lasting.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#23re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 3:51pm

Did Griffin direct the Encores! production?

His work on Color Purple was terrible.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#24re: The Apple Tree.... Darn
Posted: 12/1/06 at 4:02pm

Griffin did indeed direct the Encores! production. As they are staged concerts, his work is pretty good, considering the time frame allowed. But for a more "fleshed" out version, the Broadway production hasn't really changed much from the concert staging.

The show is somewhat swallowed up at Studio 54. At least at City Center, which is huge, the orchestra on the stage filled it out a bit. When it's just tiny Kristin and Brian alone with no set, it's pretty barren.

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

Videos