pixeltracker

Tony VOTERS consider Featured Tony "Little-cared about"?- Page 2

Tony VOTERS consider Featured Tony "Little-cared about"?

mijofly19
#25re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 3:38pm

I remember a very small amount of people that actually believed Kelli would win that year. I would hardly consider that an upset, especially considering the great field she was in. After seeing the performances, I would put Ramirez, Celia, and Jan Maxwell above her. I also believe that if you saw Celia, the original Clara in the role, you would know that the role could have been played better.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#26re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 5:23pm

If you go back to reading the opening night reviews of Spamalot, just about every critic said that Ramirez basically had the Tony, even people who thought her performance was not exactly the best in her category said that she'd win the award. I think it'd have been an upset if she hadn't won.
Rath already said that she was referring about the Tony voters when she made the comment quoted on the title, she was not referring to the people or the actors themselves. I personally love this category because I believe it's much harder to make an impression as a featured actor than in the leading role so this category becomes a bit more exciting and less predictable.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#27re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 8:08pm

In response to the question, "What did Ankia win a Tony for?" You wrote this:
For being in a show that needed to be recognized with a Tony someplace, and Featured Actress is a little-cared about category, CAROLINE OR CHANGE.Not that she wasn't good, I just felt she wasn't the best in her category that year.

Somehow I missed that you were angry and facetious. It sounds more like you were called on your idiotic statement then tried to make it seem like a joke.
And I just asked a simple question for board discussion.
So you DON'T think it is a little cared about category?
You DO think she deserved the Tony?

PEACE.
Updated On: 12/26/06 at 08:08 PM

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#28re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 8:16pm

This has now become one of my all time favorite threads on BWW. I've already said everything I ever need to say on the actual topic of nominators and their often serious faux pas where this category is concerned, but that's so not the point right now. Right now, I'm content to relish in all that is Sueleen!
Updated On: 12/26/06 at 08:16 PM

joeybiltmore1
#29re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 8:32pm

I've always found the featured awards to be much more exciting than the leading ones. Most shows have one or two starring roles but up to six or seven featured ones. Many years someone undeserving sneaks into the leading category simply to fill the slate out with five nominees. There are always plenty to choose from in the more competitive featured categories.

I've loved me some Sueleen for a long time now. But I do miss her Ethel-on-Match-Game avatar.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#30re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 10:43pm

Jesus, Sueleen. For the last and final time, since you seem to have the reading comprehension of a gnat:

I was speaking of the VOTERS. If they want to throw an award the way of a show that deserves awards but won't get them due to politics or business decisions, this is a good category to pick. Not that I think it's not an "important" category. And sorry if angry facetiousness doesn't read online without little emoticons or your special brand of bolding. I know what I meant.

Secondly, I stated that I didn't think Rose was the most deserving in her category that year, though she was good. Those exact words, I believe. I don't see how that's not clear.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#31'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 10:58pm

Now who's being defensive?

PEACE.
Updated On: 12/26/06 at 10:58 PM

FindingNamo
#32re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 11:01pm

Don't they make an emoticon for "angry facetiousness"? Maybe a little lesbian who's blabbing mouth never stops yakking?

Although I do agree with Rath on this one. It's a very stupid award and I haven't been able to care less about it since that dreadful Karen Ziemba won it in '91. By the time she won it again a second time they couldn't possibly invent a big enough eye rolling emoticon.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#33re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 11:01pm

Not defensive. You didn't understand my clear statements, so I'm repeating them in order to help you grasp them. Even though you're only playing dumb.

Either Corine wasn't around for you to taunt today or you had extra time on your hands. Whichever it was, I hope you enjoyed it. I won't be so patient next time.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#34re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/26/06 at 11:06pm

You are not fit to sweep Corine's Corner.
And obviously your statements were NOT clear, but I changed the subject line for this thread just to ease your mind.

PEACE.

FindingNamo
#35re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/27/06 at 12:28am

"I won't be so patient next time."

Ooh, that sounds like a fret to me, grrrrl.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

WellIfYouInsist
#36re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/27/06 at 12:52am

The only thing that could save this thread now would be if Winnie Holzmann joined. She has such a way with words, you know.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#37re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/27/06 at 12:57am

You had to go and bring up that show? Now this will turn into another "Carole Shelley was ROBBED!" Thread.

PEACE.

McFrenzied Profile Photo
McFrenzied
#38re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/27/06 at 1:01am

The featured actress and actor category is usually exciting because it highlights many newcomers in roles that announce they have finally arrived--think Dan Fogler and Christian Hoff.

For the record, I think Kelli O'Hara is great, but I just didn't believe that she was retarded in Light in the Piazza. I found her singing voice fantastic and her acting bland. I remember I kept thinking, "God, I wish Celia Keenan-Bolger had been able to do this."

I think the reason Sara Ramirez was the most deserving was because she brought so much comedy and life to a role that could have been less forgettable. She made it her own and made it seem like no one else could do it the way quite the way she did. Also, being the only woman in a cast of men didn't hurt. How could you NOT remember her? She HAD to be good to keep up with the cast of clown geniuses around her. I thought she really deserved it.

This race is not as exciting for me this year just because I think Mary Louise Wilson has a lock on it, and she deserves it. It's one of those years when someone already established will get it because "it's her time", and not one of those years when an upstart appears on the scene. Still early to call, I know, but that's just what I see.

WellIfYouInsist
#39re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/27/06 at 1:01am

LMFAO

Was homegirl nominated? I didn't get into musicals until later that summer.

HA. HA. HA.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#40re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/27/06 at 1:24am

"It's a very stupid award and I haven't been able to care less about it since that dreadful Karen Ziemba won it in '91."

Well, I'm with you on the "dreadful Karen Ziemba" part, but she didn't win a Tony in '91. Are you referring to her (only) Tony win in 2000 for Contact, or her Drama Desk win in '91 for And the World Goes Round (which was also dreadful)?

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#41re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/27/06 at 9:52am

Karen Ziemba is worthy of a lifetime of eyerolls. I'm no thread counter but it seems Rathnait, you've been very busy lately. You disappear and then make up for it in spades touting the virtues of some pretty obscure people that you don't really have valid info about. Case in point, your latest object of effusive affection, Donna Vivino, is NOT in fact back in the Blonde cast. Just thought you should know, since you seem to be her biggest fan.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#42re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/27/06 at 10:13am

Santa forgot to restock a few people's meds, I see.

etoile
#43re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/27/06 at 7:09pm

Exactly because how does one speak for any Tony voter if they are in fact NOT a Tony voter?

[I feel it's safe to conclude that this poster is not a Tony voter because Lord knows if they were we would have read about it ad nauseam. And please spare us the mantra of industry insider, best of best friends, once rubbed elbows, water cooler gossip, blah, blah, blah. Although watching the back peddling and side stepping and slicing and dicing and deflecting had been a hoot. All that's missing is the proclamation that everyone who is anyone in the industry already know this as a given fact.)

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
Updated On: 12/27/06 at 07:09 PM

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#44re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/27/06 at 11:18pm

RANDOM QUESTION:

After seeing LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with the original cast and before the Tony award nomination were handed out, I always guessed that Kelli O'Hara would be placed in the Lead Actress category along with Victoria Clarke. I really don't see how one can call Clara a featured role. I mean, she sings the shows best and most popular song along with another solo that is just gorgeous. She has a beautiful duet, an amazing, if done correctly, tirate, an interlude, and many other songs as well. Not only that, but, to me, she is really half of the show's center. I just have always found that so weird that she was put in that category. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Funny Face Profile Photo
Funny Face
#45re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/27/06 at 11:38pm

>>However, I do think that the category is sometimes used to reward people for their career achievements rather than just their merit for the one show.

Make that every category at every kind of awards ceremony. Many factors (seniority, hype, etc.) contribute to award nominations and wins, and merit very rarely tops the list.

americanboy99
#46re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/28/06 at 2:48pm

bump. i want my question answered.

blueflame Profile Photo
blueflame
#47re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/28/06 at 3:25pm

Karen Ziemba won in a VERY weak year.

"You can't just leave a meringue once you start it!"

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#48re: 'Featured Actress is a little-cared about category' Discussion
Posted: 12/28/06 at 3:26pm

This is true, blueflame. Ann Hampton what?

americanboy99

Videos