pixeltracker

Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?- Page 2

Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?

Kringas
#25re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 11:38am

What an invaluable contribution, BrodyFosse.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#26re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 12:06pm

She sang quite a bit on "The Cosby Show." She was fine as a soloist, although she didn't fare as well when joining in with greats like Nancy Wilson. I'd put her singing about on the same level as Dixie Carter's.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#27re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 1:49pm

and don't forget that Sondheim "INTO THE WOODS" musical... when Miss Peters left.

She probably doesn't care anymore as she is more popular then anyone from the original cast now (except MAYBE.... Jennifer Holliday)

She has a TONY and was on THE COSBY SHOW and COS

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Jazzysuite82
#28re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 1:57pm

I think she's infinately more famous than JHo because of the Cosby show.

LostLeander
#29re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 2:08pm

I love her singing on Alba, and when are Deena's songs even remotely high?

And not even Peters sounded good on the higher bits of Children Will Listen.

The role of Deena is a bit of a walk in the park.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

#30re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 2:33pm

A walk in the park?! Yeah, right...

LostLeander
#31re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 2:37pm

Comparatively speaking, of course.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

Jazzysuite82
#32re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 2:56pm

Vocally DEF a walk in the park comparatively speaking. YOu have a thick voiced Effie Screaming high F's. You have a pingy voice Lorell Belting High G's in Ain't No Party...then there's Deena who's most difficult singing is "Now who you callin' common...".

Deena has to be an actress. I personally think Lorell's the hardest and most thankless. You do all that and get swept under the rug

skingdom
#33re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 3:47pm

yup...the best vocal deena has been beyonce. ralph aint that great a singer.

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#34re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 4:45pm

I've heard Phylicia Rashad in Into the Woods, the entire show btw, and while not being able to have seen her, she sounded amazing. She had the perfect "witch" voice and her singing was very good. While she may not be up to every vocally fickle snob's standards, I find her voice to be quite lovely.

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)
Updated On: 2/28/07 at 04:45 PM

sidjones09 Profile Photo
sidjones09
#35re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 4:50pm

I love this woman. I feel like she's my second mother. I love my family to death, but I always wanted to be a Huxtable when I was young, so I could have the coolest parents ever (next to my own). She's a beautiful person on and off the stage/screen. I admire her so much.

"If you've got something to say, say it, and think well of yourself while you're learning to say it better." - David Mamet

husk_charmer
#36re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 5:36pm

Well...Clarie was voted the most like "Your Mom" in TV Guide/People/Similar Magazine back in 05.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Sandy in Sable Profile Photo
Sandy in Sable
#37re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 12:39pm

I read this a few months ago and thought it was interesting:

from "Dreamgirls 1981" by Charlie Suisman

"The Boston tryout is the period I remember with the most pleasure. Despite tech week's '10 out of 12s' – a grueling schedule of ten-hour rehearsals out of a period of twelve hours, the shared purpose, being out of New York, and the excitement over the show created a camaraderie among the cast, crew, designers, and everyone else working on the show. (Well, among most of us: Phylicia Ayers-Allen, who was in the chorus, had a permanently aggrieved look on her face and her demeanor made it clear that she was made for better things. And who's to say she wasn't right, since she went on to become Phylicia Rashad and to play Bill Cosby's wife on The Cosby Show.)"

full article: http://www.manhattanusersguide.com/archives_content.php?contentID=121106&category=arts

Diehard Cosby fans (like me) know that Phylicia has a "lovely" (seems to be the best word to describe it) voice. It is definitely more powerful than Sheryl Lee Ralph's coo, and not as piercing as Linda Leilani Brown's head voice. It's a perfectly GOOD voice, right up there with any television star who's got an engagement at Feinstein's. Not coincidentally, I'd say that Phylicia's voice is to Nancy Wilson's as Diahann Carroll's is to Shirley Bassey's. Swell, but not *quite* strong enough for her to be considered a singer/actor opposed to an actor/singer.

I said "Swell"...

Phylicia was also busy playing Asa's lawyer, Courtney on One Life to Live when she was doing Dreamgirls. She was sort of Evangeline before Evangeline was Evangeline.

Sing a Song With Me Profile Photo
Sing a Song With Me
#38re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 12:46pm

I think a lot of people bent over backwards to get into a Bennett show and then felt aggrieved.

Mattbrain
#39re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 3/2/07 at 5:05pm

Man, oh, man, I'm happy that Bennett gave the theatre world A Chorus Line and Dreamgirls, but it sounds like he was a real ass.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Hiram
#40re: Did anyone ever see Phylicia Rashad go on as Deena Jones?
Posted: 3/4/07 at 6:55pm

I saw Phylicia Rashad (then Ayers Allen) go on for Dee Dee Bridgewater in THE WIZ. At first I was angry because I wanted to see Ms. Bridgewater's Tony winning turn. But Ms. Allen won me over. She was lovely in the role, looked stunning and sang beautifully. I would've liked to have seen her Deena Jones.

Videos