pixeltracker

Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour- Page 2

Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour

cheezedoodle
#25re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 5:32pm

Actually the tour starts in San Francisco - the date is not on this list because ACT has not published it yet.
ACT 07 - 08 season

"Oh Link...your pork is ready..." - Edna Turnblad

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#26re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 5:42pm

Sounds great - I love the production - except instead of playing in one of the smallest B'way houses the show will be in these huge barns of theatres used for tours. The intimacy of the show will be completely lost. I can't imagine this playing well at the enormous new opera house in Miami.

ThankstoPhantom
#27re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 5:56pm

The Colonial in Boston is a bit small (same size as a standard Broadway house), so it'll do well there.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

RentBoy86
#28re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 6:03pm

I believe it's playing the Fox in ATL which means it will be lost on that HUGE stage and that HUGE house, oh well. I'm excited to take my family to see it. I've been raving about it.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#29re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 6:05pm

"Is it bad if I don't know who David Hess is?"

Hess covered covered Jonas, Judge Turpin, Sweeney, and The Beadle for the Doyle revival of the show when they added a second onslaught of standby's shortly after the opening.

I know he went on for Turpin and never did for Sweeney (as Cerveris never missed a show and Merwin Foard was the primary u/s to begin with.) I'm not sure about the other roles.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#30re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 6:05pm

Nathan-

David Hess was an understudy in the Broadway production. He was a Sweeney u/s as was Merwin Foard, but neither went on as Michael never missed a performance. I know that he did, however, go on as Judge Turpin a few times...

Chrysanthemum62001
#31re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 8:00pm

You folks who are going to see the tour are very fortunate. Judy Kaye was phenominal.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#32re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 8:03pm

I'm thrilled about this. I've been a huge fan of Judy Kaye for quite awhile and can't wait to see her in it. SWEENEY TODD ON HALLOWEEN-BRING IT ON! Hahahaha okay done.

commasplice
#33re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 8:07pm

If this does not come to Chicago, I will go to it, wherever it is. I friggin' ADORE Judy, and would kill to see her Lovett.

neddyfrank2
#34re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 8:11pm

Keggs- It isn't coming to San Diego but it is to LA

Chrysanthemum62001
#35re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 8:11pm

And I agree about the possibility of it getting lost in the Fox theatre in atlanta. THAT is going to be a challenge.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#36re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 9:04pm

I just hope they give her a new wig.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#37re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 9:15pm

i love me some Judy Kaye. and i'm all over seeing it on Halloween! :) i may end up seeing this repeatedly as Sweeney is my favorite musical of all time.

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#38re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 9:17pm

Wow, I better show up way early for rush on Halloween!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#39re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 9:19pm

Judy Kaye brought nuances to Mrs. Lovett that were far beyong my imagination. She put LuPone to shame, IMO. She didn't speed talk throughout the show and her jokes actually landed. And not to mention she's an extremely gracious woman.

Those who can see this on tour, you're in for quite a treat!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#40re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 9:21pm

Oh I love her wig. Its perfect for this production of the show.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#41re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 9:23pm

Hm. I think I just prefer Patti's bob.

FosseBoi
#42re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 11:00pm

I am SO excited about this. I was very lucky to see Judy in it on Broadway and, as others have said, she was wonderful! I can't even say how excited I am that its actually comming to Atlanta!!!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

#43re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/3/07 at 11:10pm

"A simple search onto Broadway Across America's website brought me this:

http://broadwayacrossamerica.com/BAA.Public.Web/Pages/TouringShows/index.aspx?showId=1231 "

Isn't this on the season in Toronto? why isn't the date listed?

E

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#44re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/4/07 at 1:28am

Toronto is SUPPOSED to be there. Originally it was announced to open here on Oct 31 and play through the end of December.

Maybe Toronto is getting a different production? Or will Toronto only get it for 5 weeks from Nov 6 to Dec 9?

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

cheezedoodle
#45re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/4/07 at 10:00am

I don't think that website is complete. I read another article in last nights local paper that Sweeney is playing in SF starting August 7th, and that is not listed - and also that The Color Purple is here in November, and that info is not on the site either.

"Oh Link...your pork is ready..." - Edna Turnblad

Teeny Todd Profile Photo
Teeny Todd
#46re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/4/07 at 10:25am

This needs to come to Philadelphia.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#47re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/4/07 at 10:30am

Hopefully they'll add a stop in DC. I would love to be able to see this tour. But I agree that it's too small a show to be playing in huge barn theatres. The great thing about the show when I saw it in NY was that it was very intimate. Even when sitting in the balcony you still felt engaged with the actors.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

jarretSF Profile Photo
jarretSF
#48re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/4/07 at 3:10pm

Cheezedoodle-

You won't see San Francisco's shows on Broadway Across America as they have nothing to do with the bookings for SFs theatres. The Color Purple will be here - but the season hasn't been announced yet for SHN so you won't find those dates anywhere yet either.

According to their website - the season will be announced mid-May.

Some people come into our lives and quietly go, others stay a while, and leave footprints on our heart, and we are never the same.

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#49re: Kaye and Hess To Star in Sweeney Todd Tour
Posted: 5/4/07 at 3:22pm

Just to clarify, the engagement in San Fran. is a pre-tour engagement, and is not considered part of the tour. I really have no idea why they chose to set it up this way, but they did. Boston will be the official first stop of the tour. It's comparable to the pre-tour engagment of Spelling Bee in Atlanta prior to the official tour launch in Baltimore last year.

Videos