DEUCE Reviews

Yankeefan007
#25re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:43pm

He kissed their asses the same way he kisses everyone else's. Not very surprising.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#26re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:45pm

Does this mean the best actress nominations will be: White, Redgrave, Best, Lansbury and Seldes? Does Lansbury have any chance at winning?

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Smartful Dodger
#27re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:50pm

Great word, YankeeFan: GUSHY. That's one that's not usually in Brantley's Scrabble dictionary.

neddyfrank2
#28re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:51pm

Would you say that Brantley's review was mixed?

Yankeefan007
#29re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:52pm

Yes, Trace, I think it's safe to say that. I'd give them both a lifetime achievement award, but that's just me.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#30re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:55pm

WAT, I think those have been thought to be the nominations for quite some time. I doubt Kurtz, Moore, and Parisse will be getting nominations. And I am guessing Pinkins will be considered featured. As for the win, seeing as Lansbury got the exact same reception as Seldes and Redgrave (good actress in a bad show) I think the award is still between White and Best.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#31re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 11:06pm

Thanks. I'm glad they will both get nominations.

I will definitely go back and see DEUCE again...I wasn't particularly thrilled with either actress after seeing the first preview, but I'm sure both have improved considerably since April 11th.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#32re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 11:45pm

For either of these two performances (I don't care who the actresses are) to take a spot away from Swoosie Kurtz's luscious performance in HEARTBREAK HOUSE would be a travesty. Julie White still deserves to win. It would be a total joke for Lansbury or Seldes to win for this garbage in a year filled with such standout performances in well-written, well-directed plays.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#33re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/7/07 at 12:02am

Foster, I too like Kurtz in her role. I just feel like she might be forgotten or overlooked. Here's my logic: Redgrave, Best, and White will most definitely be nominated. Then there are two more spots, and I can't see the nominating committee choosing Kurtz and then having to choose either Lansbury or Seldes, one over the other. They have practically identical roles. That's why I feel that both Lansbury and Seldes will be nominated and Kurtz will be overlooked. It's a shame, but I have a feeling that's what will happen.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#34re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/7/07 at 12:06am

They could nominate Julia Roberts to make up for last year's snub.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

ghostlight2
#35re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/7/07 at 12:06am

"Admittedly, I may have overstated that this could be Seldes's last show. Apologies if I offended anyone, but many here have observed that even she had challenges with this play."

No offense taken, Smartful, but I'd like to point out that ANY actor is going to be challenged by multiple last-minute rewrites, not enough rehearsal time, and no out-of-town tryout. Nobody should be expected to live up to that kind of standard.

"I spoke to Seldes the other night (bumped into her while making my way down 45th) and she did admit how 'difficult' the play was (though she used some other four letter words to describe it), since they opened cold on Broadway, without the benefit of a tryout."

C'mon, yankeefan. They deleted the last thread where you put words in Ms Seldes mouth (claiming she'd admitted the show was a "dud", when she'd done no such thing). Now you're putting four-letter words in her mouth?

Other than that, though, I pretty much agree with your post.

DARTH Profile Photo
DARTH
#36re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/7/07 at 12:40am

WAT, yes, Ms. Lansbury will certainly be nominated and could indeed win. The demographics of Tony voters, as with most major entertainment awards, are not equally distributed, paricularly in the age of the voters. Several voters with whom I have spoken suggest that BECAUSE Ms. Lansbury was given very poor material with which to work, and has by most accounts done spectacularly well with Mr. McNally's "nothing" of a play, she will deserve recognition.

If one then looks at the performances likely to appear in her category, then looks further at the normal distribution of votes that each nominee receives (and the proportionately small number of Tony voters compared to, say, the Motion Picture Academy), and then add in those who will vote for Ms. Lansbury as a body-of-work recognition, it is at least possible that Ms. Lansbury will indeed be awarded her fifth Tony.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#37re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/7/07 at 1:59am

So it seems that these two could be sitting on stage taking a dump and it would be just as much an event as Deuce?

Dang, that was crass, even for me!

PEACE.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#38re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/7/07 at 2:10am

Theatremania is pretty scathing with exceptions of course for the two ladies.
Theatremania

PEACE.

Yankeefan007
#39re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/7/07 at 6:33am

ghostlight2 - four letter words like "hard work." I don't exactly know what you're thinking of....

That said, Barnsey was negative:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05072007/entertainment/theater/volley_folly_theater_clive_barnes.htm Updated On: 5/7/07 at 06:33 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#40re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/7/07 at 8:55am

"So it seems that these two could be sitting on stage taking a dump and it would be just as much an event as Deuce?"

Sueleen---I don't use a signature... but if I did, this would surely be one of my main candidates.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#41re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/7/07 at 4:18pm

The reviews are very similar to those that Katherine Hepburn's last two plays, Matter of Gravity and West Side Waltz received. Lots of love for the star, and lots of rotten tomatoes for the plays.

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#42re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/7/07 at 9:32pm

Of course the ladies should be nommed and McNally should have his wrist slapped for not improving on the play.

Per her interview let's hope some smart producer will mount a revival of "A Little Night Music" with Annette Bening and Ms. Lansbury as Mme. Armfeldt so she can get another Tony.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

robinycus
#43re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/8/07 at 12:11am

I saw it the night before opening night and they were HOT!

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#44re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/12/07 at 10:29am

I saw the show on the 9th, and I must say that Seldes and Lansbury were amazing in a show that is below their talents. But both made the show interesting to watch, even if it got boring after a while. I wished they would have done more than sit through 90% of it. But that is bad on the directors part.

I did get up close and see Angela and I got her autograph. It was soooooo worth the Price of admission, just to see two Great Talents. I probably would see it again. Angela certainly rose up and above the material, she should get a nomination, as she gave a heartfelt performance.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#45re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/12/07 at 11:00am

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 5/12/07 at 11:00 AM

Videos