DEUCE Reviews

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Smartful Dodger
#1DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 6:37pm

Looks like the AP is up already. Kuchwara liked the performances but describes McNally's script as "thin," although he acknowledges that it's a vehicle for the two stars.
AP Review at Boston.com

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#2re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 6:39pm

Far too kind...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

munkustrap178
#2re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 6:44pm

Murray is up. Says about the same thing as Kuchwara.
Talkin' Broadway

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#3re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 6:52pm

I imagine we'll see a lot of the same type of reviews...

It's certainly what I thought about it. Great to see the Grand Dames; even if there is no play.

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#4re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 6:53pm

Why do these stars pick such crappy material for their comeback/swan song?
Hepburn in Matter of Gravity, Martin in Legends and now this? Sad.

PEACE.

Yankeefan007
#5re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 6:56pm

I'm with TomMonster. The reviews are all going to be the same.

munkustrap178
#6re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 7:00pm

I think so too, but they are FAR too kind.

The reviews should be SCATHING for the play...not just mildly insulting.

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#7re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 7:01pm

Word of Mouth did not give this scathing reviews. http://www.broadway.com/gen/general.aspx?ci=547761

Smartful Dodger
#7re: DEUCE Reviews

Yeah, unless you're a Brit and tired of the throne, it's hard to criticize the Royals. I think everyone recognizes that this is the last for Lansbury and Seldes, so the write-ups will be kind and respectful.

McNally should be ashamed for not living up to his side of the bargain and cheapening the swan song of two such great actresses.

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#9re: DEUCE Reviews

By the way, where is Margo? Updated On: 5/6/07 at 07:01 PM

Yankeefan007
#10re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 7:03pm

Re: play reviews - Definitely. Scathing doesn't even begin to describe what I think it deserves

...but this strikes me as a case where the critics want to spare the reputations of the very well respected individuals involved.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#11re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 7:35pm

Variety is mixed, lukewarm reaction to the play, RAVES for the two ladies:

It's standard-issue benevolence, with both theater critics and fans, to describe thesps who continue working long after they receive their AARP cards with terms like "national treasure" or "theater royalty," or with adjectives such as "cherished" or "beloved." Cliche or not, that language is unavoidable when confronted with the redoubtable team of Angela Lansbury and Marian Seldes, bringing their wit, wisdom and ineffable class to Terrence McNally's slender trifle, "Deuce." The comedy began life as a playlet written for a benefit and, even as a 95-minute one-act, shows its stretch marks. But anyone with a deep affection for the theater won't want to miss these rare birds bantering.

The odd-couple scenario has been shaped by McNally along the not so illustrious lines of 1980 two-hander "A Coupla White Chicks Sitting Around Talking," of which this is an old-gal variation. It's a two-character study, expanded via the addition of some functional extras -- two athletes-turned-sports-commentators (Brian Haley, Joanna P. Adler), who supply droll vocal shtick and historical background from an elevated box, and one entirely superfluous reverential fan (Michael Mulheren), who keeps appearing to articulate self-evident subtext about why these women deserve our admiration.

Of course that appreciation extends even more to the seasoned actresses onstage than to the characters they're playing, and Lansbury and Seldes earn every ounce of it. Each has her own soignee specialty that helps coax a nuanced character with heart out of thin material. Lansbury can floor us with an eye roll or a subtle double-take, turning mildly clever lines into acerbic zingers with apparent nonchalance. Seldes can communicate internalized feeling with just a slight modulation of her voice or a quiet gesture.

Likewise, unless you count the calculated shock of first Lansbury and then Seldes saying the "c" word (the one that rhymes with "blunt"), there's not a lot of action to speak of. But even when the play dips into dull patches, there's the consistent satisfaction of watching two bona fide stage stars doing what they do with effortless aplomb.

The characters reflect on everything from the commercialization and spectacle-ization of sport, with its surrounding media circus, to the ephemeral nature of fame, from feminism and lesbians in tennis to being a team player vs. a solo star. Naturally, there's time given to more commonplace issues regarding old lovers and husbands, friendship and marriage, aging, health and approaching death.

More amusing than funny, this might not be McNally's most ambitious writing and it stretches the competitive tennis-as-life metaphor until it all but snaps. But both the playwright and Blakemore make no mistake about where their assets lie. To stick with the overworked metaphor, Lansbury and Seldes turn the featherweight "Deuce" into a game, set and match victory.

Variety Review

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#12re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 8:31pm

These are honestly not bad reviews. From the preview period vitriol on these boards, one would expect notices akin to those given, say, FESTEN. Perhaps the bitchier indictments will appear in the more important venues -- obviously, the Times. But Variety's affection for the event -- the teaming of theatrical royalty in their sunset years -- seems to strike a tone of respectful awe, not wanting to dampen their valiant effort to breathe life into this creaky vehicle.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

munkustrap178
#13re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 9:12pm

The funny thing is, I didn't even feel that the two ladies were fantastic.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#14re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 9:23pm

How early in previews did you see it, Munk? I saw it the other night and they were both spot-on.

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#15re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:10pm

Times is up...
Times

PEACE.

Smartful Dodger
#16re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:14pm

Again, praise for the actresses and condemnation for McNally's script. Brantley actually credits the actresses for lifting the story from the ashes of a poorly written play. Very interesting the reverance for these two performers.

Yankeefan007
#17re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:16pm

Why is the reverance interesting? It's expected and warrented. They're two legendary actors who turned an unremarkable piece of crap into something even the slightest bit interesting.

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#18re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:17pm

"Few stars can make a banquet out of table scraps as Ms. Lansbury does."

Wow! Love that!

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#19re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:20pm

I think this says it all:

"...the true tension in 'Deuce' arises from the fight between two valiant, vibrant actresses against a swamp of a play that keeps trying to suck the life out of them."

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

ghostlight2
#20re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:23pm

"I think everyone recognizes that this is the last for Lansbury and Seldes...."

Bite yer tongue, smartfuldodger. Seldes for certain isn't done. A positively brilliant live performer. When hasn't she been onstage somewhere?

Smartful Dodger
#21re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:25pm

Yes, Pennywise, that's the line in Brantley's review that struck me.

Regarding why I think it's "interesting" how a few writers (not all of the reviews have yet been posted or linked here) have addressed Lansbury and Seldes, one only has to consider the reception Vanessa Redgrave received for her performance in another shallow play a month or so ago (she, too, sits for most of her time on stage). All three actresses are consummate professionals and talented individuals. I just find the terms used to describe Lansbury and Seldes to be more endearing.

Admittedly, I may have overstated that this could be Seldes's last show. Apologies if I offended anyone, but many here have observed that even she had challenges with this play.
Updated On: 5/6/07 at 10:25 PM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#22re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:31pm

Well done, Brantley.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Yankeefan007
#23re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:39pm

I spoke to Seldes the other night (bumped into her while making my way down 45th) and she did admit how 'difficult' the play was (though she used some other four letter words to describe it), since they opened cold on Broadway, without the benefit of a tryout.

Having seen a great many shows, even I'll admit that DEUCE is a toughie. Dialogue comes as in and out of nowhere as a tennis ball. Very easy to be thrown off - especially if there's even the slightest distraction.

She's in at least one or two shows per season. DEUCE is hardly her last. Lansbury, on the other hand, who knows?

And Brantley's review: It confirms his affinity for blondes, with age having no bearing. While his criticisms of the play are spot-on, it just strikes me as a tad bit too gushy.
Updated On: 5/6/07 at 10:39 PM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#24re: DEUCE Reviews
Posted: 5/6/07 at 10:42pm

These reviews are turning out to be much nicer than I expected. Even Brantley didn't rip into McNally the way I thought he would.

Videos