I shave me Xanadu every morning!

#28re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 6/2/07 at 11:49pm

God my mind is going--it kinda looks phallic there :S

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#29re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 6/2/07 at 11:49pm

Yes. Apparently this photo was taken when the show was out on the road.

Yankeefan007
#30re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 6/2/07 at 11:53pm

Connie Grappo directed the Florida production. She was Ashman's assistant on the original.

The cast:
Seymour Krelborn - Hunter Foster
Audrey - Alice Ripley
Mr. Mushnik - Lee Wilkoff (Grappo's husband)
Orin, Bernstein, Snip, Luce and everyone else - Reg Rogers
Ronnette - Haneefah Wood
Crystal - Dioni Michelle Collins
Chiffon - Moeisha McGill
Audrey II (voice) - Billy Porter
Audrey II (manipulation) - Martin P. Robinson
Prologue Voice - Robert Stack

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#31re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 6/2/07 at 11:53pm

that sounds so cool(the ending). i wish i could've seen it. too bad it closed SO soon.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#32re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 6/2/07 at 11:55pm

I would love to have heard Billy Porter take Audrey II to a whole new level (meaning, a whole new octave, or two).

TapTapTapioca
#33re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 6/2/07 at 11:56pm

Isn't Lee Wilkoff the original Seymour and isn't Martin P. Robinson the original Audrey II (manipulator)? Did Jerry replace both of them?

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

BroadwayEnthusiast2
#34re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 6/3/07 at 12:12am

re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale

(i think this is about as big as my scool's got.)

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#36re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 6/3/07 at 12:18am

I would have loved to see that cast.

~Steven

BroadwayEnthusiast2
#37re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 6/3/07 at 12:36am

i know, kerry butler and hunter foster together! sigh...

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#38re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 6/3/07 at 12:53am

He's referring to the Florida production.

And yes, Zaks replaced ALL of them except for Foster. Big mistake, if you ask me.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#39re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 6/3/07 at 1:21am

Yes, I was referring to the Florida cast. After hearing about everyone dropping out one by one, I knew the show was going to crap. It's really too bad.

~Steven

PiraguaGuy2
#40re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 3/25/09 at 4:54pm

Sorry for the bump, but I just got my hands on a recording of the Coral Gables tryout (audio only, so I can't judge the full performances), and I must say I think Lee Wilkof is a much better Mushnik than the disappointing Rob Bartlett. I guess they couldn't fire Grappo without losing her husband. No one will ever top Douglas Sills as Orin (not counting Steve Martin), but Alice Ripley seems to be doing a bad Ellen Greene impression. Maybe her performance could have grown (no pun intended) if they hadn't cleaned house so unnecessarily. Billy Porter has a very different take on Audrey II, but it works, and he's very powerful vocally.

Hunter Foster was great (especially live) but I'm wondering why they kept him on and fired everyone else associated with the production (even Crystal, Chiffon and Ronette)!

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#41re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 3/25/09 at 5:34pm

^ Alice Ripley dropped out because she was forced to do an Ellen Greene impression.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

jejr
#42re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 3/25/09 at 11:29pm

Kerry Butler not sexy. What have some people been smoking? I saw her in Toronto in Beauty and the Beast - yes a Disney show - and she was very sexy in that. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#43re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 3/26/09 at 12:53am

Toby's right -- the plant extended into the audience during the Los Angeles stop of the tour. I think because they were here for six weeks they had the time to set it up properly because it never happened at any of the other stops that I saw.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#44re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 3/26/09 at 1:28am

Audrey II went out over the audience in San Diego. I thought they did that for all the tour stops?

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#45re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 3/26/09 at 1:20pm

That's weird -- I don't remember seeing her do that when I saw it in San Diego. Maybe they were just having tech difficulties that night?

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#46re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 3/26/09 at 1:36pm

Kerry Butler and Hunter Foster played their roles like two mildly retarded people. I don't think you have to do an Ellen Greene impersonation either, but bringing no sort of quirk to the character really just turns her into nothing more than a dumb, battered woman.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#47re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 3/26/09 at 2:42pm

That's weird -- I don't remember seeing her do that when I saw it in San Diego. Maybe they were just having tech difficulties that night?

Well, I do remember very vividly, the set coming forward and Audrey II extending out -- although how far I don't know.

Tom's Cat Profile Photo
Tom's Cat
#48re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 3/26/09 at 3:45pm

I was sitting in the second row, right orchestra, for the first Broadway preview performance. Not only did the pod's head swing out halfway to the mezzanine, but at the end the roots (or vines?) 'grew' out across the stage and onto the heads and shoulders of the people in the first row. I remember clearly having one of those 'root' ends staring me directly in front of my face before it was pulled back. Everybody that night LOVED it, but they had to stop it because later audiences complained of getting hit in the eyes with the roots. Then I heard that Audrey's head had to be held back a bit because they were afraid of losing control of it. It's really a shame because they were both terrific effects and great fun.

Meow!
Updated On: 3/26/09 at 03:45 PM

LadyDramaturg2
#49re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 3/26/09 at 4:01pm

The machinery and undergirding supporting the plant's final swoops at the audience was pretty massive, so I'm sure that in some tour houses, the stage decks were not set up to handle it.

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#50re: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Broadway Revival Finale
Posted: 3/26/09 at 5:40pm

Eric - I agree completely with your comments. I saw the original and the revival. The original looked like a "B" movie---which is the point of the satire. The revival was overblown, therefore, losing the charm of the original intention of the show.

The show is so much better when it's done on a small scale. I felt like the revival (especially the ending) was trying to compete with shows like Hairspray that feel the need to "wow" the audience before the leave the theater.

Updated On: 3/26/09 at 05:40 PM

Videos