pixeltracker

"Hairspray" Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes- Page 2

"Hairspray" Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#25re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 11:26am

Haven't seen the film yet, so I can't comment on Travoltas performance, but I never felt Harvey played Edna like a man in drag - He WAS Edna Turnblad.

From the previews, Travolta reminds me more of Dawn Davenport, which in its way is a valid alternative.

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"
Updated On: 7/18/07 at 11:26 AM

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#26re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 12:09pm

I think the way Travolta plays Edna is a vaild alternative to Harvey's interpretation. With Nikki Blonsky playing a less in-your-face Tracy than MJW did on Broadway, the two fit together perfectly as a more humane pair of characters.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

LoringsGuy
#27re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 12:22pm

I respect Travolta's choice to play Edna as more "real." She's insecure, sensitive, and vulnerable---which makes her transformation at the end that much more exciting. I wasn't in agreement with his choices 100% of the time, but he really won me over. I don't see Fierstein working in the role on film---with that foghorn voice and oversized personality blown up 40 feet high and blaring in Dolby Digital, he could be a bit "much."

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

Virgo
#28re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 12:55pm

"guest critic of Entertainment Weekly said that Nikki Blonsky looks to be a breakout star similiar to Jennifer Hudson, except she won't win any awards."

That's fine, it's not always about winning awards. Plus I don't think Jennifer would have won any awards either if her role had of been the lead, I don't think she'd have beaten Helen Mirren one time.

With that said, Nikki is having the time of her life and that's all that matters. For an 18 y/o newcomer the poise that she's showing is amazing. I saw both Dreamgirls and Hairspray and Nikki acted the pants off Jennifer. Plus, I'm sure she already knows she's not winning any awards, there has been no oscar buzz around her role so she isn't expecting it. Unlike hudson, oscar buzz was around that role before she started.

Some asked when was the last time a light breezy comedy movie was nominated for best picture? How about Little Miss Sunshine, though I didn't see it, in the clips it sure did look light and breezy and it was a comedy.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#29re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 1:18pm

It was a comedy, yes.. But I wouldn't call it light and breezy.

Wildcard
#31re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/19/07 at 12:38am

Well, the critic that gave "Hairspray" a bad review also gave "Chuck & Larry" a good review. Talk about bad taste!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#32re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/19/07 at 9:48am

It's now at 94%...I'm shocked at how positive these reviews are (the trailers looked...mediocre at best) but I'm thrilled...the show is brilliant and I hope the film is too...

LoringsGuy
#33re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/19/07 at 11:23pm

The reviews are pouring in, and it's still at an amazing 95%! Wow....the critics are really loving it. The one big element they're most divided over is, not surprisingly, Travolta. They either find his performance endearing or a complete mistake.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#34re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/19/07 at 11:24pm

I'm in the "complete mistake" camp, but that doesn't stop it from being a great film.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#35re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/19/07 at 11:28pm

I will be so sad if 'Up-Chuck and Larry' debuts higher.

BUT C&L will drop out of sight - where as Hairspray will continue.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#36re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/19/07 at 11:34pm

Up-Chuck. lol.
Who wants to watch Adam Sandler pretend to be gay?! Now John... he is PLAYING a woman.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#37re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/19/07 at 11:38pm

I was totally torn between hating Travolta and thinking he was great, so I'm not surprised that he is dividing critics. The audience around me seemed to think he was just wonderful, though.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#38re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/19/07 at 11:42pm

yeah - audiences love him, crtics on the fence.

All I want is for Hairspray to suprise everyone at the box office- I seriously hope they are underestimating it. Most weekend predictions have it at 3 or 4.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
Updated On: 7/19/07 at 11:42 PM

LoringsGuy
#39re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/19/07 at 11:53pm

Harry Potter will probably still clobber the competition this weekend. The real question is, who will come in second---Chuck & Larry, or Hairspray?

The demographics for Hairspray seem broader than those for C&L, but it's anybody's guess as to what will happen.

UPDATE: C&L's Rotten Tomatoes rating is at 14%.

Updated On: 7/19/07 at 11:53 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#40re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:00am

Personally, I think Chuck and Larry will do better than Hairspray.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#41re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:05am

I think HAIRSPRAY will do better than CHUCK AND LARRY. I can't see Adam Sandler's usually following running to see this one.

I think the box office this weekend will look something like this:

1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
2. Transormers
3. Ratatouille
4. Hairspray
5. Live Free or Die Hard
6. Chuck and Larry
7. License to Wed

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

HughE2030 Profile Photo
HughE2030
#42re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:05am

I think Hairspray is going to big, huge big. It was so colorful, and fun. I can't stand Travolta in the role, what did they do to his face? He can still dance though. I thought everyone else was great. Let's see, that's two big musical movie's the Queen has been in, hmm good casting.

www.ConfessionsofaPaparazzi.com

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#43re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:06am

It is certified "Fresh" at rottentomatoes.com with a 95% positive reviews.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#44re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:13am

At 95%, that now makes HAIRSPRAY the 4th best reviewed film of the year so far.

Once (97%)
Ratatouille (96%)
Away From Her (96%)
Hairspray (95%)
Knocked Up (92%)

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

friedrichVT
#45re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:14am

Don't confuse john's Edna as "being a woman" as opposed to "playing a woman" just because the performance is undertated. Boring is Boring. Divine's performance was a large one, pardon the pun, but it was alive and not "winking". He played the role of a mother. I did not find him "commenty" in the role.Unlike Harvey. Divine's performance fit the style of the original movie but was still honest and ALIVE. Watch it again. He's a tired, fat ,sad and eventually joyful Mother. A great performance.

jg4892
#46re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:15am

Hairspray will do very well. Not only will little girls flock to it, teenage girls will as well due to its advertisement on channels like MTV.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#47re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:16am

You really think Ratatouille will do better than Hairspray, munk?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

LoringsGuy
#48re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:17am

Hairspray is now at 96% on RT.com, tying it for the second-highest rated film of the year so far.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#49re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/20/07 at 12:23am

where does it say second highest?

im looking here and its #5

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt_year.php?year=2007

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"

Videos