pixeltracker

"Hairspray" Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes

"Hairspray" Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#1"Hairspray" Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 8:21pm

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hairspray/

If it keeps this up, "Hairspray" will be the best reviewed movie of the entire year. Has there ever been a best picture nomination for a summer comedy before?

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#2re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 8:24pm

this is remarkable, I don't think I've ever seen the Tomato meter at 100% before!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#2re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 8:27pm

Okay Marc, fess up. How much did you pay to have that ONE bad review deleted from RT?
Seriously, there was ONE bad one a while ago. What happened to it?

PEACE.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#3re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 8:28pm

I know I haven't! The Negative Nelly is bound to come along before Friday, but I think the average review rating is apparent!

Here's the Roeper review for other reference: (And clips)

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/ebertandroeper/

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#4re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 8:30pm

YAY Hairspray :) ♥

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#5re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 8:36pm

It really deserves it. Such a great, hilarious movie.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015
Updated On: 7/17/07 at 08:36 PM

Sargar
#6re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 8:43pm

i'm so excited to see this movie!

"Hey Joey McIntyre, is there a balcony in Madison Square Garden? Joey knows his venues a little better than me. That's okay...I have a bigger part on broadway...:)" -Idina Menzel

Thesbijean
#7re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 8:50pm

With all due respect, it being Tuesday, it only has 20 reviews.

For comparison, Harry Potter has 190...
Updated On: 7/17/07 at 08:50 PM

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#8re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 8:51pm

Fierce.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#9re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 9:04pm

In america we have a tomato meter. Yep

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999
Updated On: 7/17/07 at 09:04 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#10re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 11:14pm

Thesbij, true, but not all films are reviewed by 190 different people. HARRY POTTER is quite a different story.

And the film opens in 3 days...all movies are typically higher on Rotten Tomatoes before they open, but with 3 days to go? Surely the score will go down, but this is a great sign. When there are this many good reviews this early, it generally means that the rest will follow suit.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

LoringsGuy
#11re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 11:23pm

It was the New York Magazine review that was originally listed as "rotten" (which I didn't understand upon reading it because it seemed to me to be a more-or-less positive review). Someone at RT.com clearly had a change of heart because the rating was changed to "fresh" the next day.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

SporkGoddess
#12re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 11:28pm

It won't last; RT's ratings always go down as more reviews come in.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

commasplice
#13re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 11:30pm

"It was the New York Magazine review that was originally listed as "rotten" (which I didn't understand upon reading it because it seemed to me to be a more-or-less positive review). Someone at RT.com clearly had a change of heart because the rating was changed to "fresh" the next day."

Thanks for that - I saw the meter at 94% this morning because of that review, and then I was a little baffled when I saw this thread.

Virgo
#14re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/17/07 at 11:52pm

Though it will be reviewed by many more then 20 outlets, just to have the first 20 reviews positive is a great start and a good sign that it likely will end up with well over a 90% rating by the time all the reviews are in.

Chicago 205 reviews 87% positive
Dreamgirls 192 reviews 78% positive

If Hairspray can manage to stay in the 90% or above range, it'll make it the best reviewed movie musical out of the biggest in the last few years, which IMO, should get it a nomination for Best Picture at the Oscars. No one expected Oscar nominations for this movie, but it really was so good. This surprising many.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#15re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 12:09am

I haven't seen it, but it doesn't strike me as Oscar potential.

It's a shoe-in for a Best Picture Golden Globe nomination, though.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

LoringsGuy
#16re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 12:12am

While I LOVED the movie, I don't see it as being the type of film the Academy would honor with a Best Picture nomination. It's a little too light and fluffy, and they tend to nominate more "prestigious" pictures (not always, but usually). Don't get me wrong, HAIRSPRAY is the most fun I've had at the movies all summer, but I will be extremely surprised if it gets any major Oscar nominations, despite the overwhelmingly positive reviews. I could see it getting nods for Best Song, Costume Design, and Art Direction.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#17re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 12:12am

It says the movie is about 2 hrs! (1hr. 57min.)!! Yay! Great reviews! :)

LoringsGuy
#18re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 12:26am

And the movie seems to go by in a flash---it really doesn't feel anywhere near 2 hours. It's just so much fun, I didn't want it to end!

fyffe Profile Photo
fyffe
#19re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 1:01am

100% to start is awesome.....however, did anyone see the very last review of the page?Its down on the left.....it has neither a "splat" or "fresh" tomato beside it and it reads like a negative review to me. Seems like there may be a glitch. But still 97% is awesome too.

did I rock the family boat by dining on the help?-LESTAT

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#20re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 8:00am

The reviews are very good - whats interesting is - the few reviews I have read - nobody seems to like John Travolta very much.

AP : With Travolta, though, there's no sense of fun. He plays it straight, for lack of a better word, and with a touch of pathos. The joke is completely lost, and you never lose sight of the fact that you're watching the star of "Grease" and "Saturday Night Fever," this time brandishing his trademark dance moves while wearing a fat suit.

NY Magazine : It was Divine, as Tracy’s overprotective mother, Edna, who lifted Hairspray into camp heaven—and Divine and her splendid trashy baggage who’s most painfully missed. On Broadway, the lovable Harvey Fierstein was at least a resourceful queen. For most of the film, John Travolta is a glaring mistake.

New Yorker : I admire John Travolta, but using this movie star, rather than the show’s Harvey Fierstein, as Edna Turnblad, Tracy’s hefty mother, is an idiocy on the same level as replacing Julie Andrews with Audrey Hepburn for the movie version of “My Fair Lady.”

Variety : Sporting a vaguely Western drawl, Travolta doesn't offer much beyond the inherent wink-wink humor of seeing a famous male actor in latex-assisted fatsuit drag.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#21re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 10:48am

The thing about the reviews with John Travolta, is that would rather him play Edna with a wink or a man in a dress like Divine and Harvey did, but John is playing Edna like she is a real woman.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#22re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 10:57am

Unfortunately, even if it continues with mostly raves, it's very unlikely that it would get a Best Picture nomination. Hairspray is generally perceived as being "fun," "breezy" and "light."

When was the last time a "fun," "breezy" and "light" movie got a Best Picture nomination? Musical or otherwise?

I'm not saying I agree with that. As the old saying goes, "Dying is easy, COMEDY is hard."

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#23re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 10:58am

And there are just as many, if not more, reviews loving Johns performance.

Sargar
#24re: 'Hairspray' Currently At 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Posted: 7/18/07 at 11:06am

I saw the Ebert and Roeper review and while they both LOVED it, right at the end the guest critic of Entertainment Weekly said that Nikki Blonsky looks to be a breakout star similiar to Jennifer Hudson, except she won't win any awards. While I haven't seen the movie yet, I agree that I don't forsee it being nominated for any Academy Awards. Fingers crossed for a Golden Globe though!

"Hey Joey McIntyre, is there a balcony in Madison Square Garden? Joey knows his venues a little better than me. That's okay...I have a bigger part on broadway...:)" -Idina Menzel

Videos