pixeltracker

Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?- Page 2

Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#25re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 10:49am

Didn't someone recently post a news story that the city was tired of all the scaffolding around the construction site where Howard Johnson's was with no progress. It was discovered that the merchandise/Concession stand, which was actually an entrance hall that used to open on Broadway, for the L-F jutted out into the other lots space and they were going to take it out as soon as Beauty closed.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#26re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 10:55am

"It's one of the few older theatres where you can sit all the way in the back of the orchestra and still get a nice view of the stage - far, but really not missing anything."

I agree. I like this theater.

I recently sat in Row Y for Beauty and the Beast. Everyone said I would be "miles" from the stage. In fact, I had a perfect view of everything and could still make out some facial expressions. This theater is one of my favorites.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Fosse76
#27re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 10:57am

"Im also concerned about transfering a set from an Opera House to a broadway theatre"

Because no one involved with the show ever would have thought of that problem. *sigh*

The sets were designed for the Lunt, not for the show's out-of-town tryout venue. They will not have a problem transferring them.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#28re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:16am

When I sat in the last row of the Orchestra, I felt like I was in a tunnel. It felt very closed up and the stage felt far away.

::bust a move::

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#29re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:41am

I suppose new paint (maybe some groovy new chandeliers?) could do the trick. And all of the scaffolding on the corner should be going away soon. There was a huge NYT article about that. (And I'm especially excited about that because it's the corner of my street).

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#30re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:48am

Here's the New York Times article.

At Lunt-Fontanne, an Impasse Nears a Finale - New York Times June 24, 2007
In the theater district, Broadway playhouses are getting pressure from all sides. All around them, developers are knocking down walls and blasting bedrock to lay foundations for office towers, stores and high-rise condominiums. If the newcomers are not careful, they could lop off part of a historic theater, like the Lunt-Fontanne on 46th Street. Indeed, one nearly did. That is why, in the midst of a tourism and real estate boom, a prime corner of Times Square has stood boarded up and partly demolished for more than a year. For decades, the northwest corner of 46th Street and Broadway was home to the last Howard Johnson’s restaurant in the city, a vinyl-covered time capsule redolent of fried clams. But since last May, it has been obscured by scaffolding and a blue plywood barrier. Yellow fliers posted there warn passers-by that rat poison has been employed inside. “It just looks run down,” said Tim Tompkins, the president of the Times Square Alliance. “It would be great to have either some movement or the removal of the sidewalk scaffolding because of the need for uncluttered sidewalks.”

Updated On: 7/31/07 at 11:48 AM

bwaylvsong
#31re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:51am

Wow, BrianIdol, you live in the heart of the theatre district? I'm so jealous!

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#32re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:53am

yeah it's pretty great - i must say. Can't wait until I dont' have to walk past all that nasty boarded-up scaffolding anymore!

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#33re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 1:10pm

Its a very un-atmospheric auditorium. Feels and looks like a movie theatre. Seen many shows here and the theatre didnt help with any of them. I realy hoped 'Mermaid ' would have gone somewhere else.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 7/31/07 at 01:10 PM

broadwayguy2
#34re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 1:17pm

the mid/rear mezzanine at the Lunt is just horrible...

millie_dillmount
#35re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 2:04pm

Why does everyone hate is so much? It's really not that bad...

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#36re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 2:29pm

maybe because it is!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#37re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 2:34pm

exactly! wickedboy2.:)

-on a side not, does anybody have a pic of it when titanic was there? I'd love to see this "nasty ugly blue":)

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#38re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 2:42pm

The first time i saw 'the blue' was for Carol Channings 'Hello Dolly' and it realy was headache inducing and terrible distracting from the great sets of 'Dolly'. I seem to remember it being 'toned down' slightly when i saw 'Titanic' Why would anyone want to paint a theatre that colour?

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#39re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 2:45pm

Its nothing new for auditoriums to be painted out. The Virginia for 'Carrie'. The Dominion in London for 'Time' The Piccadilly in London for 'Man Of La Mancha'. All now restored to almost former glory.

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#40re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 2:48pm

the Lunt could definately use some "former glory" if u ask me.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#41re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 2:56pm

Fantastic facade!
McDonalds inside!
Im hateing it!
I wish 'Mermaid' was playing the Palace - i realy dont want to go to the LF any time soon.

TapTapTapioca
#42re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 3:09pm

It made me teary-eyed when I walked in, I think it's absolutely amazing!

You cried when walking into the the theater becuase it was pretty?

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#43re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 3:10pm

Bless

Tom148502
#44re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 3:41pm

Doesn't anyone read? When the theatre opened as the Lunt-Fontanne, with the Lunts in The Visit, the auditorium was painted blue. The color has nothing to do with Titanic or Hello, Dolly!

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#45re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:03pm

Nobody said it had anything to do with either show! People are just comenting on its colour -thats it.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#46re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:34pm

It has been three different shades of blue over the years. From the late '50s through the early '90s, it was a kitschy powder blue, with lots of murals of pink cherubs on flying clouds, in a style that would not be out of place in the Von Tussle home. Then, around Best Little Whorehouse Goes Public came the horrendous Milk of Magnesia bottle blue, which lasted through Titanic. Prior to Beauty, it was painted in the tan, blue and gold interior it is now.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

millie_dillmount
#47re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:42pm

In my opinion it's not that bad.

Maybe I didn't mind it so much because Beauty and the Beast was a fairly large production that I liked seeing the whole picture from the Mezz.

Same with the rear orchestra.

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#48re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 5:43pm

I don't know if were allowed to link to a video clip from you know where. So go and search PETER PAN with Sandy Duncan and you'll see part of the blue wall, curtain and armrests. Not to mention a thrilling clip.

bwayboy310
#49re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 8/1/07 at 6:26am

To just put my opinion out there. I don't think it's hideous, nor do I swoon at its beauty. However, Past the twelfth row in the orchestra you can't see the top half of the stage.
I need the eighth row for "Mermaid!" re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?

Videos