Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#1Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 8:20pm

Anybody know if they plan on "beautifying" the Lunt-Fontanne a bit before Little Mermaid comes in?? This has gotta be the ugliest b'way theatre I've ever been in. It would seem that it's not quite up to Disney's standards. I'd love any info:)

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#2re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 8:22pm

I spoke with one of the ushers last night, and she said that no "major" work was planned.

bwaylvsong
#2re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 8:57pm

Are you kidding? I think it's gorgeous!

Lizzya9
#3re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 9:03pm

same here! It's the only Broadway theater I've been in, but if that's ugly I would like to see some others. It made me teary-eyed when I walked in, I think it's absolutely amazing!

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#4re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 9:06pm

I think it's gorgeous too! Especially compared to some others.

I figured if they did anything, they'd "underwater grotto-ify" if for The Little Mermaid.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#5re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 9:06pm

It's one of the few older theatres where you can sit all the way in the back of the orchestra and still get a nice view of the stage - far, but really not missing anything. The inside could use some refreshment if it's going to receive another long run, and it certainly has time to get that in.

The only thing I can think of is that the bar area in the back is supposed to be minimized or taken completely out, as per a NYT article a couple of months ago that had the bar area belonging to the to-be-built building.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#6re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 9:09pm

I've seen BATB but can't really remember what the theatre was like. However, they remodeled the New Amsterdam, and that's the second most beautiful theatre I've seen, after the August Wilson. What can I say? I like orange.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#7re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 9:12pm

re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?

Well, the Lunt used to look like this, when it opened as the Globe. The boxes and the second balcony must have gotten wiped out in the theatre's renovation in the 1950s.

In the early '90s, the house was looking really ragged. I remember sitting in the mezzanine for Ain't Broadway Grand, looking at the mural on the ceiling (of flying cherubs) practically drooping down over my head. Around the time of Best Little Whorehouse Goes Public, the theatre was repainted from a powder blue, to an electric blue that was eye-piercing. It stayed that way up until Beauty made the move, when the color scheme became a more muted blue, tan and gold. It currently looks the best it has ever looked in my theatregoing there, though I would love if they would paint over the faux-mirrors on the orchestra level before Mermaid arrives.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#8re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 9:19pm

I figured those faux mirrors were mood stuff for Beauty, not having seen anything else in that theatre. If so, I'd definitely think they'd do something else for Mermaid. Faux stone or something.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Dollypop
#9re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 9:21pm

I understand they have to make the theater water proof when they go under the sea with MERMAID.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#11re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 11:06pm

It underwent extensive restoration from 1997-1999.

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#12re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 11:57pm

yeah i think that video just proved my point. Those walls panels are hideous and there just isn't anything on the ceilings at all.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#13re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 12:01am

It looks horribly ugly. I hate the black seats, the paneling, and the ceiling.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#14re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 1:07am

LITTLE MERMAID is already way over budget, they will be lucky if they get new carpet backstage.
But DISNEY will probably spend some of their fortune to do something like the new Ice Machines at the RODGERS.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#15re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 5:16am

>I hate the black seats<

The seats are blue.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#16re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 8:32am

I think it's hideous, yes it may have good sight lines, but it is totally ugly compared to MOST other broadway theatres. Im also concerned about transfering a set from an Opera House to a broadway theatre, but i am sure the disigners are taking that into account, Maybe (depending on the structure of the theatre) they may take off some of the sides on the prescenium to make the opening a bit wider. It happens, in london they did that with the Lyceum for Superstar, and when Mamma Mia went into the winter garden, they removed some of the boxes (or rather didnt replace them after cats). Its just a really ugly theatre, although the facade is one of the nicest in town.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Yankeefan007
#17re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 8:42am

The only theater currently undergoing remodeling is the Longacre (or is it the Lyceum...the one across from the Kerr). They're supposedly adding a pit.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#18re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 8:47am

I have to say that they are only a few broadway theatres i think are beautiful to look at at the Lunt -fontanne is not one of them.I think it was Titanic i watched there.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#19re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 8:49am

I don't think it's ugly, per say, it's just that it isn't the most stunning of theatres, when you compare it to others.

A little bit of paint and some minot work could fix it up nicely, but I don't think it needs anything MAJOR.

Yankeefan007
#20re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 8:50am

Per everyone's favorite Disney blogger, Jim Hill, the theater just getting "a thorough cleaning and some much needed maintenance."

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#21re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 9:14am

"It underwent extensive restoration from 1997-1999."

While TITANIC was running? Before and after the run, perhaps, but not during.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#22re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 9:35am

It was hideously BLUE when I saw Titanic there in 1997.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

Tom148502
#23re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 9:58am

It was a beautiful blue when I saw the Lunts there in THE VISIT. I'd be concerned about the size of the stage for any really elaborate musical. I had occasion to go backstage and onstage a couple of times during the run of TITANIC. I was amazed at how little space there is on and off stage and, at least as of the time of TITANIC, the raking of the stage was dangerous.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#24re: Lunt-Fontanne remodeling?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 10:24am

""It underwent extensive restoration from 1997-1999."

While TITANIC was running? Before and after the run, perhaps, but not during."

Oh yeah. You're right. There's a site named Cinema Treasures that says 1997-1999 but that wouldn't make sense. TITANIUM closed in March of 99 and BEAUTY opened in Nov of 99. That doesn't leave much time for "extensive renovation".

Videos