pixeltracker

Questions for Local One members- Page 2

Questions for Local One members

CJR
#25re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 3:47pm

FCUKING GOOGLE IT.

The demands have been listed ALL OVER THE INTERNET. Do a little research. Instead of posting here again, antagonizing the fact that none of us have reposted what you could have easily found yourself, go look for it.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#26re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 3:53pm

"I didn't say I would provide either type of sandwich. The costs would be too high either way."

You didn't say it, but you did infer it. Much in the same way your inferring that because you haven't been provided a list of the issues for your validation, that the issues don't exist. Of course you can believe that, but it doesn't make it so.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

tenaciOUs b
#27re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 3:55pm

I have googled it, I have ask.com'd it. All I find are generalities from the producer's point of view and whining generalities from the union's point of view.

UnionMade
#28re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 3:56pm

tenacious
Most of your answers can be found here:
Local One Press Conference. YouTube
Judge for yourself;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEk7nngVr_c

There are seven parts total. Enjoy!

bugmenot
#29re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 4:07pm

> none of them are going to outweigh the time money and effort that
> have been put into your once in a lifetime trip. Because it's
> YOUR trip.

That's why I didn't bother and won't bother to try. A lot of innocent people are caught in the crossfire of this, and as an individual member, I apologize to you and your group. As they say on the subway, we hope to be moving shortly.

NJluvstheatre
#30re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 4:07pm

FYI- my email to the League:

As a retired theatre professional and past Union member I want to write this email in support of your efforts.

For a long time I believed that many of the unions were getting “too full of themselves” with their ridiculous rules and demands. I am also a firm believer that the unions are slowly killing Broadway. It is hugely due to their archaic rules that the costs of mounting a production (especially a musical) on Broadway is so exorbitant. Thus, making for outrageously high ticket prices, thus making seeing a Broadway show unobtainable for many.

I am in strong support of your offer and ask that you stand your ground on these issues. The sad thing is by doing so this strike may go on for a very long time and, unfortunately, some shows may be forced to close. However, it is important that the Stage Hands Union (as well as other unions) finally realize that this is a different world and that it is time to change their archaic rules. Eventually, actors will get tired of the “lower strike pay”, as well as the musicians, etc. Eventually those unions will start putting pressure on Local One. But, only if the league stands their ground with this, does not bend and is in it for the long hall.

I support the Leagues efforts and hope that you continue to stand for what’s right, without compromise.

All the best and “break-a-leg” with this.

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#31re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 4:23pm

Isn't the reason that you're a past Union member because you got caught working on non-equity gigs? And because the union wouldn't allow you continue, you decided to "retire"? A little full disclosure would be nice.

"I am also a firm believer that the unions are slowly killing Broadway. It is hugely due to their archaic rules that the costs of mounting a production (especially a musical) on Broadway is so exorbitant. Thus, making for outrageously high ticket prices, thus making seeing a Broadway show unobtainable for many."

Of course the fact that nearly 50% of a productions cost are directly attributed to advertising and marketing, has nothing to do with the high ticket prices. Only the Unions, right?

Nothing like having an embittered, "retired" past union member give an unbiased opinion.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#32re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 4:28pm

"Hahaha You know me, robbiej, I like to state the obvious. You know, when Im taking a break from being the resident bitch lol"

Don't flatter yourself CJR........

NJluvstheatre
#33re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 4:30pm

FYI: I retired 5 years AFTER that situation, which I won because NJ is a "right to work" state and they could not legally stop me from finding work and making a living. I also did Union work after that as well. I retired because I no longer wanted to tour, be away from home, etc.

Not the answer you were looking for, I'm sure...

PS- why can other theatrical union workers work non-union gigs? IATSI...

CJR
#34re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 4:48pm

Jonny boy, now you're just getting annoying.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

tenaciOUs b
#35re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 4:52pm

Well, watching the youtube news conference took awhile and sadly, didn't help much. It was kind of a cross between a White House press confrence and a pep rally (ie keep the base happy).

"We've compromised on 9 or 10 things", "They just want more and more." Even the local president had a chance to be specific and chose not to do so.

If the contract is basically 100+ years old (I'm assuming with admentments), then there has to be quite a bit of archaic stuff in it. Just like most blue laws have been surpassed by time, so too I would assume for 100+ year old contract details.

In no way am I saying that the producers/theater owners are the good guys. I just don't think they are the only bad guys, maybe not even the worst guys.

Sad indeed.
b!

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#36re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 4:58pm

"Jonny boy, now you're just getting annoying. "

with you... yes!!!

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#37re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 5:07pm

"FYI: I retired 5 years AFTER that situation, which I won because NJ is a "right to work" state and they could not legally stop me from finding work and making a living. I also did Union work after that as well. I retired because I no longer wanted to tour, be away from home, etc.

Not the answer you were looking for, I'm sure...

I'm not looking for any answers, just the reasons for your anti-union prejudice.

PS- why can other theatrical union workers work non-union gigs? IATSI..."

I don't know what the other unions bi-laws state, so I can't answer that question. But, I do know that it clearly states in the Equity Bi-Laws that you aren't allowed to take theatre work without an Equity Contract or Letter of Agreeement.

NJluvstheatre
#38re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 5:32pm

And, as an actor, I wanted Union work. I looked for Union work. However, if there is no Union work to be found or available, I have the right to find work someplace else. I am an actor. I trained as an actor, went to school for acting and have worked nearly 30 years as an actor. Why should I find work doing something else when I can work at what I was trained to do even if it was non-union?

The point is that I did the non-union gig (along with 8 other Equity people out of a cast of 20. All of us “scabbing” and just trying to make a living.) I received 2 phone calls from Equity, which I ignored. Once I received the letter from them telling me to stop, I forwarded it to my attorney who wrote them a letter. I never heard from them again about this situation. I continued with that show and many others (Union and Non-Union) for many years after that.

Point is, no matter what their “By-Laws” are, they CANNOT stop you from working and making a living at what you do. Sure they can threaten and bully, but cannot legally stop you.

colleen_lee
#39re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 5:35pm

The stagehands demands are irrelevant IMO.

The bottom line is, the League decided to institute new contract rules without an agreement from Local. Local was backed into the corner. Their options were to accept the League's rules, which basically destroys the entire purpose of negotiation, or strike.

What other option was there?

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#40re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 5:41pm

There are plenty of other good shows to see on Broadway and Off-Broadway. So I really don't understand this Man's complaining. Unfortunately, it won't solve one of the Union's or League's problems. These are Union Shows and the Union has the right to a contract. Since those other Union's and the Corporation governing them are behind them do you honestly think it is so selfish?

As for those who want to go back to the days of slave labor, you know, "the good old days". Eventually you will pass on, fortunately and as Billy Joel wrote, "the good 'ol days weren't always good and tommorrow ain't as bad as it seems".

We are trying to move forward. You want to give up your rights to fair and honest business practices? Fine but all of this complaining is just making America look stupid. You want to struggle your whole life for nothing, fine, crawl, no one is stopping you. I don't. I want to know also that when I pay for a high priced ticket, it is those who are putting on the performance who are benefitting, since I know they don't work all of the time. If the show is great, I will pay even more. I pay everyone, from the usher to the Investor. My demand is that they all be compensated fairly. I also want people to have the chance to enjoy a long and fruitful life. That is suppose to be the American Way right? Anyone can win as long as they work hard.

Well I know these people are doing what is being asked of them. I see much better ways to save money on losses than this tactic. There have already been mentions of compromises. The Producers are just asking for too much and finally after all of these years the Stagehands said enough.

Again, these people can go into the private sector and get work. Compare their salaries to those in other Tech jobs. Techinicians in New York and California get a lot more because of the cost of living. In case any of you have been to the Grocery Store lately or the Gas Pump, you know inflation is once again out of control. Gasoline alone is at a 40% high in just a few years. That in turn has raised the prices of every durable good we have and import into this Country.

If this was about losing your Electricity or Water, heck even your Cable is safe with this Strike. If ever there was a lesson to be learned it is that buying non-refundable tickets for New York or any type of live entertainment shows is not a good idea.

So yeah, you promised your peoples that they can go see whatever. Take them to go see something just as good. If it is Jersey Boys, they are performing on the West Coast too. Same performance. New York has some of the best but all of the best aren't on strike. These people, having lived this long in life and through some of the worst disasters in History can learn to accept that things happen for a reason. Maybe what they end up seeing instead will change their lives for the better?

Again, it isn't our Strike. No matter what, you will be unhappy. Yet, you can take a bad situation and make it better or you can whine about something you have no control over. So, you have to work a little bit harder but at least you don't have to picket the streets for your right to work in fair conditions right now. Your day may come and then do you want to listen to us moan and complain?

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#41re: Questions for Local One members
Posted: 11/13/07 at 5:47pm

"Point is, no matter what their “By-Laws” are, they CANNOT stop you from working and making a living at what you do. Sure they can threaten and bully, but cannot legally stop you."

If you're fine with doing work that undermines the Union, that you joined by your own free will knowing what its by-laws were, while other members find ways of supporting themselves between Union gigs, then I'm glad it's you who has to look at yourself in the mirror and not me. A little integrity goes a long way. And as far as I'm concerned you have none.

Are you vested in the Equity Pension Fund or collecting your pension from Equity?

Updated On: 11/13/07 at 05:47 PM

leko2
#42re: Questions for Locane members
Posted: 11/14/07 at 1:44am

tenaciousb: If the shows you plan on seeing failed and closed without notice and refunded your tickets, would the league have taken advantage of you? I'm sure that the WGA has a lot of valid points, but now I can't watch the Daily Show, 24, Family Guy, Eureka, Conan O'brien, The Office, and countless other shows on cable because of this. Why are they holding my primetime TV hostage? Are they taking advantage of my desire to watch TV and hoping that I, along with countless others, will call the AMPTP and urge them to concede? Writers are paid to write a movie or tv show. Why should they get money from me for buying a dvd of something that they have already written?

The league threatened to lock out employees who had been working in good faith for months under the expired contract. When that didn't make the union flinch, they implemented work rules which the union had not agreed to. When the membership wanted to immediately call a strike vote, the leadership asked them to be patient and see what happened next. Finally after making progress in negotiations for the first time in weeks, the league went 180 degrees and they took away things that they had agreed to. If these aren't good reasons for a strike action due to unfair labor practices then I don't know what is.

NJLuvsTheatre is correct. Equity cannot stop him from making a living in a right to work state. But what they can do is punish him for violating their rules for membership. I am not sure what the punishments are, but I wouldn't blink if they fined, suspended, or expelled you from the union.

Why can members of IATSE work non-union jobs? Because nowhere in the constitution and bylaws for IATSE does it say anything like, "Members are not allowed to work non-union jobs or jobs that do not have union contracts."

MaronaDavies
#43re: Questions for Locane members
Posted: 11/14/07 at 4:10am

Nobody has taken advantage of you and your students.

If you let it ruin your students' trip to New York, that is your choice. If you have any imagination, you will use this as an experience to broaden your minds. This city is rich with things to do. Go to one of the shows that's open. Go to off-Broadway, the opera, the ballet, the little theatres downtown. That will require being brave and getting out of Times Square, but hey, you can do it.

And while the stagehands might make more than you do, chances are high that with the New York cost of living and all, they're also paying a lot more rent, a lot more taxes, a lot more in food, transportation and utilities. At the end of the day they're not seeing any more disposable income than you are. A $65,000 salary isn't the same in New York City as it is in Indiana.

Strikes inconvenience everyone. That's life.

NJluvstheatre
#44re: Questions for Locane members
Posted: 11/14/07 at 6:51am

I am not collecting on the Equity pension nor will I. I am retired from theatre, not retire all-together... I have found another profession I enjoy and am making a living at. I do, however, continue my association with theatre working locally throughout NJ, NY and PA. Small groups, community theatre, etc. Funny, I recently did a really good community theatre production where out of a cast of 22, 6 were Equity. It happens all the time and Equity, instead of wasting energy "hunting these people down" and threatening them, should support them. And I do not mean financaily. If actors can find Non-Union work when there is no Union work available, they should be allowed to work.

We can argue this forever. Point is you don't agree. So, let's just end this. My point is that the Unions have archaic rules and things need to change.. It's a different world, a different time from when these Unions were established. It's time to change with the times.

DoranC
#45re: Questions for Locane members
Posted: 11/14/07 at 7:32am

"Finally after making progress in negotiations for the first time in weeks, the league went 180 degrees and they took away things that they had agreed to. If these aren't good reasons for a strike action due to unfair labor practices then I don't know what is."

There are good reasons for them to have gone on strike, but I don't think there are good reasons for them not to be back at a negotiating table.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#46re: Questions for Locane members
Posted: 11/14/07 at 8:32am

I agree. Nothing you can do about the strike though unfortunately..

Make the best of it. Try off and off-off Broadway! Some pretty good stuff there. I'm sure you can still salvage a great trip!

My wife and I see Broadway and off-Broadway shows about evenly and enjoy both!

Buscee
#47re: Questions for Locane members
Posted: 11/14/07 at 8:51am

I just hope that the strike ends shortly. It should be noted that Stage hands for the most part work for theatres, and the way theatres are constantly being replaced with new shows. Actors however are lucky to get one show, let alone another. My fear is there are several shows that are just breaking even, and might not rebound from this strike. Thus putting several actors out of work.

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#48re: Questions for Locane members
Posted: 11/14/07 at 8:52am

Mooo> If it's any concollation i blame both of ya'll :)

I do think the producers might share a BIT more just because of what you said about the lockout they proposed and some other things they did previously to strong arm.

However at this point ... the union doesn't seem to be talking.

Again .... strikes will often hurt your business.

But i am against unions in general

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#49re: Questions for Locane members
Posted: 11/14/07 at 8:58am

"It happens all the time and Equity, instead of wasting energy "hunting these people down" and threatening them, should support them."

How do you suggest that they support them? Why would Equity support someone who's breaking the rules of the union that they joined freely? If non-Equity theatres are able to hire Equity actors, then there is no impetus for them to become an Equity house. Not only does it undermine the Union, but also it's members who pay dues, follow the rules and reap the benefits. I feel Equity supports its members when they try to organize at non-union venues, so that people like you who have difficulty find Equity work have more places to work Equity, not less.

"My point is that the Unions have archaic rules and things need to change.. It's a different world, a different time from when these Unions were established. It's time to change with the times."

As I said earlier, the contracts are re-negotiated every 3 or 4 years. And the work rules change. I could see your point if the contract constantly remained the same, but it doesn't.

I'd love to hear what you find so archaic about Equity's current work rules.

Updated On: 11/14/07 at 08:58 AM

Videos