pixeltracker

Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...- Page 2

Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#25re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 2:45pm

That show is DEAD without Max and Laura. Not artistically, the show has always been a reanimated, sad corpse. Financially, it won't survive, except with tourists who think Travolta's in it.

Yes, because they were going JUST to see Max Crummy perform and not because it's Grease. Call 911 , the show is about to die!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

lovepuppy
#26re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:34pm

Ah. Well, glad I saw Jenny Powers on Saturday before she was done. Anyone know where she's going after "Grease?"

"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." "I dare say you haven't had the practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." --Alice in Wonderland

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#27re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:38pm

Hopefully to a show deserving of her talents. She was so cute as Young Phyllis at Encores! and earned solid reviews at their concert production of OF THEE I SING.
I also think it's kinda pointless to have a reality show in which the big deal is that the winners will get their Broadway debut...and then have the runner-ups be part of the first replacement cast.
Yankee, totally loved your "LaLaLand" comment, made me laugh out loud.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

choderman
#28re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:46pm

"Grease You're the One That I Want" succeeded in what it was set out to do. First, make stars of out kids who would otherwise not had the chance, and has made the Producers lots of money. Face it folks. It worked and is still working! The Brooks Atkinson Theatre is almost full to capacity every night! A lot of people have loved seeing it and will continue to come.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#29re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 4:05pm

I haven't seen the show and don't care to. People can choose to hate it if they want, but how can anyone say that it is dead when last week it was at 96.6% capacity and had an average price of $82.79? Those are figures most musical producers only dream of!
Even Gypsy was only at 73.8% last week!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#30re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 4:11pm

I will not be returning to see this piece of crap but I wish them the best of luck.

They were both very talented to be quite honest on the tv show

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#31re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 4:46pm

Jenny will be appearing in the world premiere of "Dangerous Beauty" at Northwestern University which is her alma mater.

"In addition to "Tonight at Eight," Northwestern's Summer Music Theatre Festival 2008 will present the world premiere of the American Music Theatre Project's (AMTP) "Dangerous Beauty" (July 25 to Aug. 17), a musical romance set in Renaissance Venice featuring Jenny Powers and Hollis Resnik with book by Jeannine Dominy, music by Michele Brourman, lyrics by Amanda McBroom and choreography by Robert LaFosse. Directed by Sheryl Kaller, "Dangerous Beauty" is based on the book "The Honest Courtesan" by Margaret Rosenthal and the New Regency motion picture "Dangerous Beauty" screenplay by Jeannine Dominy."

Northwestern Presents Sheldon Harnick Salute June 25

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 6/24/08 at 04:46 PM

AntonEgo
#32re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 4:53pm

What happened to Austin? He was Max's runner up.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#33re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 5:01pm

Even Gypsy was only at 73.8% last week!

- Gypsy was at 83.1% and a gross of almost 900k last week.

BillyE
#34re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 5:06pm

This is the great news I needed (after a lousy day at work).
I voted for Ashley over and over again. I just loved her looks and her green outfits.
Now I think I'll finally go see this show.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#35re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 5:07pm

What does the percentage mean anyway? It has no value to producers, why must people continue to bring it up?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#36re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 5:10pm

Wasn't Derek Keeling supposed to be in TALE OF TWO CITIES???

colleen_lee
#37re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 5:14pm

He was in the Sarasota production but there were no guarantees that the individuals in the Sarasota production were going to be offered roles in the New York production.

And, frankly, it's for the best...

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#38re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 5:18pm

defyingravity, sorry if my post was too brief to explain itself to you. No the percentage is not everything, but combined with the total number of tickets sold, and the average price per ticket (indicating how many discounts were given) along with a whole lot of other factors especially including costs -- one would have to be an idiot to think that Grease is about to close because it is losing money! Several posters seemed to be saying that.

burnsy Profile Photo
burnsy
#39re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 5:53pm

I met Ashley Spencer at Hairspray's stage door a month ago. I told her she was my favorite person on the TV show and I'm glad she's in Hairspray not Grease because Hairspray is my favorite broadway show. She's like "Oh yeah, this show (Hairspray) is much better".

Well, still good for her to join Grease. Bigger role and more publicity.

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#40re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 6:04pm

Austin is in Japan doing the most poorly-titled show ever, TRIP OF LOVE. That's why he's not stepping in, I guess.

And also, it should be interesting to see if Ashley and Derek can infuse some life into the show...although its doubtful.

Good for Derek, he gets shafted out of a role he originated, only to land on his feet in a Broadway show. I mean, I'm not complaining, we get Aaron Lazar in Two Cities, but it really sucks to originate a role and then be replaced.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#41re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 6:20pm

One thing's for sure...Derek'll definitely infuse some life into those little track shorts.

And as for ToTC; I have my fears about the show's longevity. This might turn out to be a better move for Derek.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

choderman
#42re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 6:22pm

My sentiments exactly!

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#43re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 6:24pm

You shouldn't be having sentiments about Derek's track shorts. You're married! re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...

Yankeefan007
#44re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 6:25pm

Is the marketing gonna be changed to

GREASE
THE ONES THAT YOU DIDN'T VOTE FOR

or

GREASE
THE ONES THAT LOST

??
Updated On: 6/24/08 at 06:25 PM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#45re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 6:31pm

"Come see the best track shorts in town".

Lynnespock2
#46re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 6:50pm

I think it is great that they are getting to play the roles and think Grease will continue to do well.

SHILL alert <-----> lynnespock2

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#47re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 7:32pm

Yankeefan, close. The new marketing campaign will be, "Grease, the Ones You Didn't Want."

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#48re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 7:32pm

Jenny Powers was the sole redeeming factor of the show (and would make a hell of a replacement for Laura Benanti in GYPSY come March.)

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

lovepuppy
#49re: Ashley Spencer will be Sandy starting July 22nd...
Posted: 6/24/08 at 7:52pm

Hm, no wonder she has so many Chicago credits on her entry in the Playbill. Is she from here? I've never seen her in anything here. Good for her; she's got quite a diverse resume of little-know stuff, straight plays, and now this fun novelty musical. More power to Ms. Powers.

As for the replacements...I don't care if the runners-up are the replacements. If they weren't going to renew their contracts, SOMEONE was going to have to replace them. The producers are gonna sit through days of auditions when they technically already did the nationwide search for the TV show and got the cream of the crop who auditioned? Not a bad system, considering how they ran the whole thing.

"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." "I dare say you haven't had the practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." --Alice in Wonderland

Videos