pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1

snowskittle
#25re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 8:32pm

Is there any site that lists how tours are doing? I wonder if sales are better or worse outside of New York?

dg22894
#26re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 8:35pm

Avenue Q would not be closing anytime soon. With these numbers Shrek will close soon.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 8:40pm

We are seeing it Saturday so will report back re attendance .

Poster Emeritus

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 9:11pm

But don't forget...all the show KNOW that this time of year is the roughest to get through. Don't expect to see any REAL improvements for at least 6 weeks.

I think it is still encouraging that so many shows are actually coming IN. I have to admit, I was expecting MANY more "postponements".

But yes, I can't imagine how difficult it is to perform to a 1/2 empty audience.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

george95
#29re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 9:38pm

A bit of good news: Phantom's grosses for this weekend is up $28,000 over this weekend last year, and its % of seats sold is up 7%! I know its the show y'all love to hate.....so hate on it! : )

massofmen
#30re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/3/09 at 12:28am

didn't i say this months ago? I am a genius.
The Family show will die this year.
Date shows will do well, and my big bet is on rock of ages. It is a perfect show for this economy. Cheap fun. The producers are gonna make a good chunk of money on it.
Shrek won't close for a while, its a 30 million dollar drop in the bucket. Losing 200,000 a week is nothing to a billion dollar giant like Dreamworks and shrek 4 is coming out soon isn't it?
Story o my life will run for a week.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/3/09 at 1:27am

Shrek is averaging about 72% for it's run. It can DEF hold out for a while to see if it can build an audience.

Why are people so sure that Ave Q isn't considering throwing in the towel? I adore the show, but maybe it's time.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#32re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/3/09 at 3:36am

"Is there any site that lists how tours are doing? I wonder if sales are better or worse outside of New York?"

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999326.html?categoryid=15&cs=1

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#33re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/3/09 at 6:18am

Ave Q had a different schedule last week. Two shows on Wed and none on Sunday. Maybe that had something to do with the big drop.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#34re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/3/09 at 6:54am

In about two weeks...we might see some better numbers since it's winter vacation.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#35re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/3/09 at 6:55am

Oh, and this is not on topic...but Legally Blonde is doing very nice on tour.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#36re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/3/09 at 7:47am

CSonBroadway... It is not a nation-wide thing for schools to be out Presidents' Day week. I had never heard of such a thing until I moved to NYC. So it won't necessarily have a HUGE impact. It is usually the start of rolling Spring Break though, so...

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

PiraguaGuy2
#37re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/3/09 at 7:53am

I'm seeing Shrek tonight and will report on the attendance (although it IS Kids' Night On Broadway, during which most shows are near full). Again, since the show is backed by a huge conglomerate that has money to burn and it opened in the dead of winter (?), they'd be moronic to close it this early.

And I love Q to death, but maybe it IS time. I'm sure sales can pick up for them, too though.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#38re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/3/09 at 1:15pm

I fear for Shrek, audience will go up in line with tourists coming in, probably about 10%, which would not sustain production costs, I imagine the mega wealthy producer, are considering closure notices.

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#39re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/3/09 at 1:21pm

I'm hitting NYC during President's Day week, so I can report back, but I doubt it will influence attendance much, if at all. Not every school follows it and it's still a touch early for college spring breaks.

Ouch for Shrek, though. No wonder it popped up on TDF last week. I do want to see it, however, and hope it pops up on TDF the week of the 18th. If not, I can try lotto and student rush.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#40re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/3/09 at 11:03pm

The A Chorus Line tour is doing well also. They are extending the tour through the end of the year(and hopefully longer).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

rjjn Profile Photo
rjjn
#41re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/4/09 at 12:56am

I predict that the next show to close will be Equus. :)

And I agree that Shrek won't risk closing prematurely when they might be able to get some audience during the spring and Tony season. I still think Avenue Q can hold on because of its low costs, though the producers might be happy with what they have and close it anyway.

"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love." -Neil Patrick Harris

Videos