pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:01pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 2/1/2009 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/grosses.cfm

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#2re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:03pm

Ouch.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#2re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:08pm

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#3re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:11pm

not good... but I guess this is expected

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#4re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:13pm

ill donate my 82 cents i have in my pocket, see! the economy picks up with just a pocket full of change

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#5re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:13pm

At least a few of the straight plays are doing better than last week.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#6re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:21pm

With these numbers, how much longer can Shrek and Avenue Q hold on?

PiraguaGuy2
#7re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:24pm

Oof.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

broadwayjim42
#8re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:31pm

I'd worry more about Shrek than Avenue Q. I didn't like Shrek much, but that number still burns.

At least I'll be doing my little part for the war effort this week...Kids Night and "In The Heights" tomorrow.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:43pm

If Shrek stays at 50%-60%, it won't be around much. Avenue Q recouped years ago and it's weekly running costs are low, unlike Shrek.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

coolkid11776
#10re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:56pm

Do we expect closing notices this week?
I mean honestly how much longer can Shrek, Avenue Q & August hang out.
Would STP close early? b/c I see they haven't been doing amazingly well

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

bwaybabe4
#11re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:57pm

probably not on stp. they just re-couped, and are skimming by. the producer is doing so many other shows, he can probably bank roll it.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#12re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 3:58pm

Coolkid, I don't know but you better buy the tickets fast!

I sure hope August: Osage County can stay on. That and In The Heights are the two shows I care about most.
Updated On: 2/2/09 at 03:58 PM

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#13re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 4:05pm

Don't forget Shrek has a big studio producing it, so I'd imagine they'll at least hold on until the Tony nominations to see what they get and if that will help business. I wouldn't be incredibly worried about it at this point, I think they can wait a few weeks for more family buzz to build.

At least, I hope so. I really want to go back and hear "Who I'd Be" live again.

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#14re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 5:20pm

Dreamworks will definitely keep Shrek afloat until Tony time, no doubt about it in my mind.

Rentfan931
#15re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 6:21pm

Ouch Chicago re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1

evic
#16re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 6:22pm

It is only gonna get worse ....the economy is in a depression....how long did it take the gov't to finally admit we are in a recession.....this is the season to lower prices so that New Yorkers can attend...there are NO tourists in town...and we will not see an upturn until the middle of March...but even so,not in the numbers that we are used to. If the producers of Shrek wanna hang in there, good luck...sad for the cast to look out into that vast auditorium and see 1,000 empty seats-they all probably wanna fart and belch. Admit it is a floperoo and give the millions getting flushed down the toilet to a charity- one of which was a victim of Madoff perhaps. Tony nominations do not make for box office- winning the best musical does. And this drek will not win.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#17re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 6:26pm

I second the "ouches."

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#18re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 7:01pm

Yes the economy is hurting but the movie industry just reported their first ever one billion dollar January. People need an escape more than ever. Broadway may fare much better than many industries.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#19re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 7:08pm

there are NO tourists in town

Really? So all those people clogging the sidewalks in and around Times Square taking pictures and being lost this past weekend were locals?

Wow.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

evic
#20re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 7:30pm

I didn't have the pleasure of walking through TS this weekend....but if there were tourists, they certainly weren't attending shows....they were too busy taking pictures of the theater marquees and saving their money

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#21re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 7:33pm

Billy Elliot will win best musical so the best Shrek can hope for is some nods to the stars & technical ones. Not much & probably will not stave off the inevitable but take it where you can get it.

When Shrek folds, producers will think twice about brining in what should be a sure thing.

After Billy wins, how long before it jacks up prices. Even in this economy, Greed will always rise to the top & trump common sense.The concessions are equally ridiculously priced.

Poster Emeritus

snowskittle
#22re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 7:36pm

Bad box office news indeed. Hope they're better next week.

Ole Chum
#23re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 7:52pm

movie prices are up because people are opting for a $12 evening over an expensive $40 dinner, or quick getaway vacations.

the comparison between a movie ticket and a broadway show ticket is ludicrous, not to mention that broadway survives on tourism which is taking a big hit, no matter how crowded you think times square is...

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#24re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/1
Posted: 2/2/09 at 8:28pm

evic, it's highly possible that the weekends were relatively full but during the week rather empty. The percentage is over the whole week. Not per show.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Videos