pixeltracker

The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?- Page 2

The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#25re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 5:23pm

Well the Longacre holds 1091 people. And I thought the stage was quite big. How much scenery do they need for the Addams Family

mzk2004
#26re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 5:30pm

It's also about seating capacity. 1000 seats is too small for that show.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#27re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 5:33pm

Obviously enough to fit in the LUNT. I can assure you that the producers don't feel good about booting out The Little Mermaid (If they do). Size isn't the only variable in choosing a theatre either. The Longacre is a theatre more suited for plays than musicals.

http://ibdb.com/venue.php?id=1240
Updated On: 5/26/09 at 05:33 PM

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#28re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 5:33pm

I actually think the Shubert Theater would be a perfect size for the Addams Family.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#29re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 5:36pm

The Shubert is booked.

mzk2004
#30re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 5:43pm

Nederlanders are a producing partner. Going into one of their theaters.
Updated On: 5/26/09 at 05:43 PM

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#31re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 6:55pm

Just throwing this out there, is there any way Addams family will go into the Palace? I know WSS is there, but perhaps it won't be by the new year.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#32re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 6:58pm

WSS is safe. They are raking in the dough right now.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#33re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 7:01pm

LOL

inick122492 Profile Photo
inick122492
#34re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 7:13pm

I personally think they would be good in the Hilton or maybe Broadway but Shrek is still "hanging" in there and Spider Man (pft!) is slated to go the Hilton. This is only if they hadn't locked in with Nederlander. I do think it would be a great fit at the Marquis or Gershwin.
Updated On: 5/26/09 at 07:13 PM

BroadwayBound115
#35re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 7:32pm

Yeah, Wicked is slowing down. It will probably close by the end of this year.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#36re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 7:35pm

inick122492, you don't realize that Nederlander is producing this show. Why would the Nederlanders give their money to one of the companies they consider to be rivals?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

inick122492
#37re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 7:41pm

Im just saying those 2 theaters would be perfect for the show, in my opinion naturally. The Gershwin and Marquis are fancy yet contemporary. I do know Nederlander is backing them up indeed. And yes, I know Wicked won't close with the dough they have been raking in for the past 5 years. I do wonder how 9 to 5 will do in the coming months.
Updated On: 5/26/09 at 07:41 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#38re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 7:43pm

The Addams Family is going into a Nederlander Theater. That is known.

The Gershwin won't be available for a very, very, very, long time. Wicked is not slowing down (it sold out this week AGAIN), nor is it going to be closing. West Side Story also played to SRO this week and will be with us for the next couple of years at least.

Assuming that Love Never Dies still gets the Neil Simon this spring, that leaves the Lunt-Fontanne as the only viable house for The Addams Family. Unless of course 9 to 5 bombs after the summer is over.

Odds are it's going into the Lunt-Fontanne, and Disney is not going to move Mermaid into another theater when it hasn't even recouped yet.

inick122492
#39re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 7:47pm

A few quick questions,
How much did TLM cost?
Has there been talks of closing TLM? It still fills average 75-90% weekly, with seasonal ups and downs)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#40re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 8:01pm

BroadwayBound115, do you pay attention at all to the weekly grosses? Where the heck do you see any slow down in Wicked?

West Side Story has been selling well. It is not going anywhere anytime soon.

There is no way in hell Wicked will close by the end of the year. They are one of the top 5 grossing musicals a week and always gross over $1 million per week. Additionally, the show has rarely (probably never) gone below 90% selling capacity and usually sells in the high-90s to 100%. At the rate this show is going, I'd say West Side Story will close before Wicked.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#41re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 8:02pm

I repeat, DISNEY does not reveal the intial costs of a show.
I wouldn't ne surprised if soon they stop publishing weekly grosses as per Mel Brooks.

BroadwayBound115
#42re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 8:12pm

Millie Dillmount, I guess you didn't get the hint of sarcasm. Everyone on this board knows Wicked is NOT slowing down and will NOT close for a while.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#43re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 8:20pm

Well, what you wrote certainly doesn't sound sarcastic (and unfortunately it is difficult to pick up sarcasm sometimes). Sorry for the misinterpretation!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

broadwayguy2
#44re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:56pm

I got the sarcasm perfectly, actually. :-P

Well, I havent heard for sure what is taking the Simon, as I haven't paid much attention, but I do know of whispers I have heard, so I would be VERY surprised if Addams family took that.

It would NOT surprise me to see them take the Lunt.

In Tarzan's defense.. and I know it has many detractors here.. Disney sometimes runs the shows as a corporation and strictly isolated entities. Poppins has the advantage of being in a theatre controlled by Disney, so they aren't worried about making the rent each month. At the time Tarzan closed, the show was doing fine and Disney was in the process of working in changes that had been made for the European debut. Some of the music had already been arranged and there were some new book scenes that were being rehearsed and costumes and set pieces that were in the process of being built. They were doing alright and making the cost each week. MERMAID was massively over budget and was about to go out of town and Disney needed more money to cover thata nd the changes to come. They had just closed Beauty, Lion King was / is still going strong and they didn't want to touch Poppins when it was still fresh here and had the Tony exposure and a tour planned.. and were already closing the London production. Tarzan, therefore became the whipping boy. Disney pulled their resources out of Tarzan and closed it two days before Mermaid left for Denver and still had to scramble for extra funds.

Technically, tarzan didn't recoup, so it was a flop.. but it was not because of the show.. It didn't NOt recover because of its merit.

lancerpanz
#45re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 10:25pm

it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it (-;

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#46re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 10:50pm

I'm not looking the grosses, but could Disney move Little Mermaid to the Minskoff, and close Lion King (a la Beauty and the Beast/Little Mermaid). Or if Guys and Dolls closes, the Nederlander could be open. Because all the other theatres are booked with shows that will run for a good amount of time. The Richard Rodgers could be open, but I think In The Heights still has a lot of life left in it.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

BroadwayBound115
#47re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:00pm

Disney would be making a HUGE mistake if they closed Lion King to move Little Mermaid. They already made a mistake by closing Beauty and the Beast and putting in Little Mermaid

broadwayboy101
#48re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:01pm

The Lion King still makes over a million a week...Disney would have to be out of their minds.

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#49re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:10pm

Look at the grosses. Even in the slumps of the year TLM grosses more than most shows on Broadway. The fact that posters are taking this conversation seriously is fairly funny. It makes me think of when posters created rumors that TLM was such a trainwreck that Disney was going to close it two months after opening and re-open B&TB at the Lunt. Disney has made the Nederlanders a lot of money and to endanger that by kicking one of their shows out is laughable, especially when Disney has other shows in development that will find homes in the Nederlander family.

The obvious choice is to wait until Lauren Graham's contract expires for "Guys and Dolls" later this year, close the show with some dignity and then move Addams Family into the theatre.

Or what about the Neil Simon? Any plans for that after Robin Williams leaves?
Updated On: 5/26/09 at 11:10 PM

Videos