Saw N2N last night...

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#25re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 8:25pm

There is nothing wrong with liking Wicked, there is a problem with singing 100+ times in the span of 6 months & stagedooring every time.

EDIT: Also, this account was made back when I was theatre retarded. Updated On: 6/15/09 at 08:25 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 8:29pm

EDIT: Also, this account was made back when I was theatre retarded.

- You only joined last year. So within a year your tastes have completely changed?

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#27re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 8:35pm

Learning that Wicked is far from the greatest thing ever? Yes, completely changed. Before Wicked my favorite show was CATS, that's kind of saying something.

PiraguaGuy2
#28re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 8:36pm

Yeah, I always find it funny when you make fun of Wicked fans. That's a little like calling high school freshmen complete and utter retards as you start your sophmore year.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#29re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 8:47pm

I kinda agree with this. I'm a freshman and it annoys me when "die hard" theater kids in my school's favorite musical is Spring Awakening. It annoys me so much when we talk about shows and all they talk about is Spring Awakening and Wicked. One girl said...Yeah, I think West Side Story is good, but I think Spring Awakening is just so more incredible compared to it.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#30re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 8:49pm

It is wonderful that there are die hard WICKED Fans. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just like there is nothing wrong about liking Cats or TOS or Next to Normal or Rent or Spring Awakening, etc.
There is nothing wrong with putting down a show you don't like. There is something terribly wrong and downright immature about putting down people because they like or even love a show.
God bless the Wicked fans. They have kept thousands of people employed World Wide!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#31re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 9:23pm

That's how I feel! Even though nothing in the material of Wicked really connected with me, I don't see why it's bad to love it. I know people who really relate to Elphaba and who are really moved by it.

Before Wicked my favorite show was CATS, that's kind of saying something.
Ha, that was my favorite for a few years there--I used to LOVE CATS. I still like it a lot, actually. And I still have a giant poster of Mr. Mistoffelees on my wall. When I go to college, I think I'll bring it with me and terrify my roommate.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

DefyGravity777
#32re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 9:56pm

"You don't know the original poster. My statement applies only to her, not to others who dislike the show."

You don't know me either Nick. Just because I didn't go to college or am a teacher like you doesn't mean that I am unintelligent.

"There is nothing wrong with liking Wicked, there is a problem with singing 100+ times in the span of 6 months & stagedooring every time."

I'm not the one that saw Wicked 100+ times. That is your buddy Nick and his "girl" that saw it that many times amd most of the times they saw it was when Julie was standby.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#33re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 10:07pm

How did a 'Next to Normal' thread go into a 'Wicked' thread? I think your entitled to like what you like. I have not seen 'Wicked' so I'm not one to judge it.

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#34re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 10:12pm

Just because I didn't go to college or am a teacher like you doesn't mean that I am unintelligent.

One's level of education has nothing to do with one's intelligence, or lack thereof.

I'm not the one that saw Wicked 100+ times. That is your buddy Nick and his "girl" that saw it that many times amd most of the times they saw it was when Julie was standby.

I haven't seen Wicked anywhere near 100 times, but thanks for playing our game, Val.

DefyGravity777
#35re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 10:18pm

"How did a 'Next to Normal' thread go into a 'Wicked' thread? I think your entitled to like what you like. I have not seen 'Wicked' so I'm not one to judge it."

Nick and DG07 have nothing better to do and always feel the need to post stupid stuff on here.

dancindramadork
#36re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 11:49pm

. Updated On: 6/16/09 at 11:49 PM

heo1128
#37re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/15/09 at 11:57pm

^I don't think you can judge any sort of performance intended to be live from youtube clips, especially an entire show. When I first heard about next to normal/watched clips way back when, I was skeptical too, (and also couldn't stand Alice's voice) but then I saw it and fell in love. So give it a chance live before calling it overhyped!

Updated On: 6/15/09 at 11:57 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#38re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 12:05am

I'm all for shows that challenge audiences intellectually to really consider its worth and depth, but so far I haven't seen the spark I expected from the hype it has been receiving. I haven't gotten to see it yet, but from what I have seen (and yes I know that you can't judge alone by cast recordings and video clips used for promos), I don't understand the hype at all. I thought the same about Alice's voice as well. I thought I might enjoy the show a bit more honestly with another actress...but that's just my personal taste. I'm not saying she isn't a great actress, but I'd like the opportunity to see another in the role and see if that affects my impression of the show as a whole.

Maybe you ought to actually see the show before you say that you think you'd enjoy it more with another actress. The show's cast is one of its strongest assets, particularly Ripley. You'll understand how important Ripley's performance is to the piece after you've watched Jessica Phillips as Diana.

You really should see the show before passing such ridiculous judgments on it. Maybe you didn't see the "spark" yet because you have not actually seen the show.
Updated On: 6/16/09 at 12:05 AM

WishingOnlyWounds2
#39re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 1:57am

I put off seeing the show as well because I couldn't stand the sound clips on the show's site... but then I saw the BWW video preview and got curious and decided to see it.

Never in my life have I been so touched by a piece of theatre.
Go see it.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#40re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 5:26am

I can understand not WANTING to see a show. I can understand being underwhelmed with soundbites and cd's.

But how can you not understand why so many love/like/adore it if you haven't seen it? How can you be underwhelmed with something you didn't experience?

You can only comment on your lack of desire to see the show....not the show itself.

I have no problem with Alice's voice. I think her perfomace is the real deal and is perfect. Everything fits. Her passion and dedication are incredible. I'm am in awe of her performance -- a comment I seldom make.

The OP is welcome to his opinions as he actually saw the show. But please do not condemn a show you haven't.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

DefyGravity777
#41re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 7:08am

dramamama, I'm a female =)

I didn't listen to any clips or even see anything on here about it. I did listen to the cast recording and fell in love with that. It's the reason I wanted to see the show.

dramamama611
#42re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 8:29am

HE is just generally accepted when you do not know whether a male or female.

I know YOU ^ saw the show....and I respect your thoughts on the piece. I was talking to 'dancindrama dork' saying they don't "get it" but didn't see the show. Of course they don't get it....they are basing it on very little.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AndAllThatJazz22
#43re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 8:48am

I don't think there is anything wrong with watching clips and deciding not to see a show based on clips, because theatre costs a LOT of money... and you want to see the show that looks the best. Sure, that's not to say that the show that looks the best will BE the best... and that the show that looks sucky will BE sucky. I just feel that when you give in to the expensive habit of theatre, you should choose what YOU feel will be the best show for you; however, it's NEVER EVER EVER accurate to judge a show if you haven't seen the whole thing.

I hate Billy Joel

I hate ballet

I hate Twyla Tharp

and a friend of mine had an extra ticket to the non-eq tour of movin' out. I saw clips of it and it looked god-awful to me, but then I actually saw it and to my surprise... I really loved it. I'd definitely see it again if it came back to town So Sometimes you have to just see a show, you may end up being surprised.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
Updated On: 6/16/09 at 08:48 AM

dramamama611
#44re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 8:53am

^Totally agree.

I, too, have been suprised by shows I initially had no interest in: Titanic and Tommy spring to mind. But I'm FAIRLY certain, I've never "disliked" a show I haven't seen.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#45re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 9:06am

I said the same thing about Legally Blonde. When I saw clips and heard about it I said, that's the most ridiculous show I have ever heard of. Then I saw it. It is now my favorite fluffy and campy show.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#46re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 9:25am

I did see N2N and I completely agree with SNAFU and others who were neither impressed with the show or with Ms. Ripley's voice.

The older I get, the more willing I am to leave a show at intermission when I dislike a show. I found myself constantly checking my watch to see how much longer it was going to last. Despite my desire to leave it early, I did come back for the 2nd act and I still regret it.

I respect the opinions of those who disagree with me - even if I don't particularly understand them. I only insist that they respect my opinions as well. Insulting me or others who agree with me will absolutely NOT gain your show any favors.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

dramamama611
#47re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 9:41am

***I respect the opinions of those who disagree with me - even if I don't particularly understand them. I only insist that they respect my opinions as well. Insulting me or others who agree with me will absolutely NOT gain your show any favors. ***

Totally agree with you there, Mamie. Why would someone else's lack of enjoyment ruin my feelings for a show? I will never understand that kind of bashing. To each his own. More tix for me!!!

dreamer8932
#48re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 9:44am

Mamie:
Just out of interest, why DID you return for the second half? I mean no offence at this. I'm just curious as to why.

No Day But Today

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#49re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 10:56am

Because of all the praise it was getting from so many people. And I hadn't been to that particular theatre before (I saw it in its last week in DC) and I was curious about the theatre itself. I will admit that the music gave me a raging headache so I really should have left. There just was no way I was going to get anything out of the 2nd act.

I've said it before - I think Alice Ripley is an incredible actress and I would have loved watching it as a PLAY. I just thought that the music was not only irritating, but it also detracted from the story being told.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

Videos