pixeltracker

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018- Page 23

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018

JIMG3
#550Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 6:33pm

GeorgeandDot said: "There's nothing wrong with wanting to see big name A list stars on Broadway, especially when ticket prices are as high as they are. I'd rather not pay $200 to see an actor with a couple of regional theatre credits and maybe a couple of minor roles on Broadway play Henry Higgins. People need a reason to shell out that much money to see a show live. Why pay that much money to see some random people do My Fair Lady when I saw my community theatre's production last year for $20? People think like this. LCT is going head to head with Rudin's Carousel which has a brilliant cast of seasoned professionals, they need to show up with a great cast."

I get the financial aspect of it, but not at the expense of talent. I'm sure LCT is well aware of what you say about great casting for this. I only hope they can swing it. 

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#551Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 6:46pm

TotallyEffed said: "This production has been anticipated for years, it would be a shame if it turned into a mess."

What about this production has turned into a mess? Or indicates that it will? They haven't found the right leading man, they are looking for one and still have lots of time to do so.

Of all the names I've heard of, Joseph Fiennes is by far the most appealing. Firth has played a variation of Higgins for over a decade and seems almost bored by it at this point. His performance as a Higgins-like figure in MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT was stale and stunted. I have no desire to see him do that in any sort of sustained run. A Fiennes and Ambrose pairing sounds exciting and sexy. I'd love to see that show.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#552Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 6:54pm

JIMG3 said: "Oh yes, it's going to happen.I can assure you."

Thanks for this reassurance! I'm sure it will be a marvelous production, even though the casting process has been...interesting to say the least. 

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#553Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 7:15pm

What I'm hearing from an unconfirmed source is that Lauren Ambrose is their choice for Eliza but that they have yet to find an actor for Higgins, their top 5 choices (including Firth and Kline) passed and now they're still desperately seeking a "name".  At the rate this is going, we will end up getting an old TV name like Barry Bostwick or a Bristish stage actor like Douglas Hodge or Henry Goodman. I personally think Robert Sean Leonard would be ideal as Higgins, but his name recognition is fairly low.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

JIMG3
#554Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 7:43pm

BroadwayBaby6 said: "What I'm hearing from an unconfirmed source is that Lauren Ambrose is their choice for Eliza but that they have yet to find an actor for Higgins, their top 5 choices (including Firth and Kline) passed and now they're still desperately seeking a "name". At the rate this is going, we will end up getting an old TV name like Barry Bostwick or a Bristish stage actor like Douglas Hodge or Henry Goodman. I personally think Robert Sean Leonard would be ideal as Higgins, but his name recognition is fairly low.
"

That basically mirrors what I've been hearing. I completely agree about RSL. He's a brilliant actor. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#555Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 7:56pm

They should see if Ralph Fiennes is available.  He'd be a great Higgins.  If they can't get any "big names" then I hope the role goes to Jefferson Mays.  He's perfect for that part.

If they want a younger Higgins, Benedict Cumberbatch would be amazing.

theaterdrew Profile Photo
theaterdrew
#556Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 8:00pm

There are several other interesting choices.  Hugh Laurie, for example.  He's a musician and singer besides being a brilliant comedic actor.

miminy Profile Photo
miminy
#557Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 8:11pm

I can picture Mark Rylance as Higgins. Maybe it's the hats.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#558Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 8:29pm

RSL's name recognition isn't THAT low. Plenty of people remember him, mostly from House and Dead Poets Society. He may not be A list, but he's not exactly unknown.

JIMG3
#559Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 8:39pm

GeorgeandDot said: "They should see if Ralph Fiennes is available. He'd be a great Higgins. If they can't get any "big names" then I hope the role goes to Jefferson Mays. He's perfect for that part.

If they want a younger Higgins, Benedict Cumberbatch would be amazing.
"

Dear God, yes!! Now that would be thrilling. 

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#560Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 10:57pm

A lot of these gents have probably been offered Higgins a few times now (the Julie Andrews production last year in Australia, the 2001 Cameron Mackintosh UK production that later toured the US, and various regional/concert productions.)

Michael Sheen, Mark Strong, or Dan Stevens would be good if they can't get a star.

Barry Bostwick sounds like summer stock casting.

schubox
#561Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 10:59pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "A lot of these gents have probably been offered Higgins a few times now (the Julie Andrews production last year in Australia, the 2001 Cameron Mackintosh UK production that later toured the US, and various regional/concert productions.)

Michael Sheen, Mark Strong, or Dan Stevenswould be good if they can't get a star.

Barry Bostwick sounds like summer stock casting.
"

Mark Strong would be great 

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#562Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 11:02pm

Mark Strong is exactly the kind of actor that would make for an exciting choice. Please keep Benedict Cumberbatch far far away from this. 

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#563Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/10/17 at 11:17pm

ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "Mark Strong is exactly the kind of actor that would make for an exciting choice. Please keep Benedict Cumberbatch far far away from this."

I'd love to see Cumberbatch do it, but he probably gets booked up years in advance. He has 12 upcoming projects listed on IMDB right now.

Roger Reese would have been wonderful 10 years ago.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#564Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 12:58am

miminy said: "I can picture Mark Rylance as Higgins. Maybe it's the hats."

Rylance would be a great Doolittle, but he's already booked.

For Higgins, Ralph Fiennes could work...Joseph is too  pretty and likely busy with Handmaid's Tale anyway.

Just get some dude from the RSC and be done with it already.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#565Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 12:12pm

GeorgeandDot said: "LCT is going head to head with Rudin's Carousel which has a brilliant cast of seasoned professionals, they need to show up with a great cast."

Though My Fair Lady at least has a more exciting director at the helm than Carousel.

nasty_khakis
#566Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 12:28pm

I actually think Rylance could be an interesting and completely different Higgins. It would be a complete experiment that would either work and shatter all molds of Harrison or be a complete disaster with people (older subscribers and the type) scratching their heads why the Higgins was so "off."

Jefferson Mays did something new with Higgins when he was in Pygmalion that I really was fascinated by. He was a completely spoiled "brat" man-child who was given a new toy, as it were. I think he also leaned into the homosexual undertones of "confirmed old bachelor" so you wouldn't root for them to be together and be disappointed by the ending.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#567Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 12:29pm

Jeffrey - I think this is what people mean when they point out that you bring up Jack O'Brien's "track record" every possible chance you get, without any provocation or absolute need for it.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#568Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 12:38pm

I'm sorry to be sounding like a broken record, but given Bartlett Sher's amazing track record with revivals, My Fair Lady is already my most anticipated show for the spring. And that's coming from someone who considers Carousel to be one of his all time favorite musicals.

Updated On: 9/11/17 at 12:38 PM

dres40
#569Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 12:43pm

Lauren Ambrose does not peak my interest at all........ even after I took a listen to her with her band on Youtube.

She was my least favorite actor / character on 6 feet under.   I really hope I'm wrong and she is wonderful because I was looking forward to this production.

For now I'm just not that excited about it.   

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#570Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 12:44pm

The problem with a lot of A list star power for Higgins is that those powerhouses might not even be available.  I'd love to see Robert Downey, Jr. or Oscar Isaac or Daniel Craig or Eddie Redmayne as Higgins (and the first two in particular strike me as great opposite Ambrose - Isaac was already her Romeo!) but what would be the chances of them being able to do it if they wanted to?

I also kind of like the idea of Damian Lewis.  

MIchael Fassbender!

Updated On: 9/11/17 at 12:44 PM

mamaleh
#571Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 12:51pm

The only casting possibility (well, more my wishful thinking) that piques my interest would be Hugh Jackman as Higgins.  He's the right age (late 40s) and would sell out the Beaumont.  

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#572Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 1:00pm

Honestly, at this point I hope it's Jefferson Mays.  He may not be a "name" but I'm struggling to think of anyone quite as perfect.  Surround him with great Broadway performers like Danny Burstein, Mary Beth Peil, and Bryce Pinkham or Lucas Steele and I think the production will be just fine.  I'd rather see that then have them cast someone like Hugh Jackman who isn't right for the part at all, but will sell tickets.  I'm still a bit disappointed by Ambrose.  I've never thought she had a very good voice.  Maybe she will prove me wrong, but I would have much rather have seen a Broadway lady get the part or a complete unknown.

broadwayboy223
#573Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 1:09pm

Is it possible they will go back to the drawing board for Eliza and cast someone more known? It sounds like when it was gonna be Firth and Hathaway he was in it because she was. No dis respect to Lauren Ambrose. I admit was hesitant to her and I certainly don't want to suggest she lose her supposed role, but wouldn't make sense to get a more we'll know Eliza if they can't get a "star" Higgins? 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#574Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 1:32pm

Realistic expectations please. Who was the last movie star you saw headline a musical at LCT?

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Videos