WiCkEDrOcKS
#625A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 5:04pm

Ha! I'm so confused!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#626A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 5:58pm

Bobby was alluding to the fact that Variety mentioned Benanti had been cast in IN THE NEXT ROOM.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#627A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 8:55pm

Sorry for the confusion WICKEDROCKS. Yes, referring to Benanti in In the Next Room being mentioned by Variety.

And I hate to say this but...isn't Benanti a little long in the tooth for Anne?

She could certainly handle the role but she's past the age necessary, especially if Waddingham is indeed playing Desiree (and even if she isn't, Nunn seems bent on a younger looking Desiree).

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#628A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 8:59pm

Benanti was never going to be considered for Anne. If she were available, she would be considered for Charlotte. Anne has apparently been cast for several weeks now.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#629A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 9:02pm

Can't see her as a believable Charlotte either.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#630A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 9:13pm

Benanti was approached with the possibility of playing Charlotte and was not interested. She was never at all considered for Anne (as some people here seem to believe.)

To her, originating a role in the Broadway premiere of a Sarah Ruhl play was a better career move (and personal opportunity) than playing a featured role in a show she's already done twice.

While Charlotte is a terrific part, I can't say I disagree with her reasoning in her particular situation.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 7/13/09 at 09:13 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#631A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 9:30pm

That's what I thought about Laura Benanti as well, Bobby. (And yes, I know Raul is no more a done deal than the war in Iraq. A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC)

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#632A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 9:38pm

I don't know why every time people talk about possible casting choices, the conversation ends up being a character assassination.

Yes, I would have loved to see Laura in the role of Anne but yes, she's probably too old for Nunn's concept (although casting Lansbury, while a perfect choice, is not in line with his so-called concept).

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#633A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 9:51pm

I don't get why people are stuck on the idea of Laura as Anne? She's already played it before. And she would be too old for the role in ANY production. Anne is what...18/19? PLUS, Charlotte is a much better and juicier role. And the original Charlotte won the Tony.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#634A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 9:53pm

I'm actually a little surprised Laura wasn't interested in playing Charlotte, but I bet she wants to do more plays.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Byron Abens
#635A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 9:59pm

I don't think Madame Armfeldt needs to necessarily be younger though. In fact, if it appears that she waited until much later in life to have Desiree then it just adds to her frustration that her daughter did not do things in the "proper manner" and went and had a child so early in her own life. After all, on one level "Liaisons" is about her frustration over the fact that her daughter did not follow in her footsteps and is handling her affairs in such a shoddy manner.

I've personally always felt that Desiree was a late in life accident on Madame Armfeldt's part. Take into account the following lines:

At the palace of the Duke of Ferrara
I acquired some position
Plus a tiny Titian...

A lot of people just assume that she is talking about a painting, but Titian is also used to describe a person with bright golden-auburn hair. So it is more than possible that she is saying the Duke of Ferrara is the father of her own "tiny Titian," i.e. Desiree. She is clearly a woman who would not stop at using her daughter's birth to augment and cement the riches and wealth she had already gained as one of the leading courtesans of the European aristocracy, and then retiring in splendor.

givesmevoice
#636A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 10:27pm

Byron, I've always wondered who Desiree's father might be, and I really like your explanation.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Byron Abens
#637A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/13/09 at 10:43pm

Thanks, givesmevoice. Night Music is one of my all-time favorite shows. I've worked on two stunning productions of it, as well as having done a complete production design for it for my design classes in undergrad, so I know it fairly intimately and have a lot of opinions on it. Luckily, I have heard from several people who's opinions I highly value and almost always agree with that have seen this production in London and had nothing but raves for it.

That being said, I sincerely hope that the Esparza rumors are just that. I just can't wrap my head around that bit of casting, much as I have loved him in other things.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#638A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/14/09 at 2:08am

So did thy annnce this production today?

Cause this will get me back to New York in eb next year.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#639A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/14/09 at 2:10am

No, no casting announcement today. Are you kidding....this thread would have been going nutso if something was announced.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#640A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/14/09 at 2:53am

Thanks adam, I didn't think there was.

:))

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Bradley
#641A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/14/09 at 8:55am

A word or two about Ramona Mallory. It is a shame that people might think that her being cast as Anne is in any way gimmicky. It is kind of cool that her parents were original cast members and this will make for a fun interview or two, but the fact of the matter is this lady is a star. I had the pleasure of performing with her in the Fantasticks and she was endlessly inventive, made smart, surprising choices at every turn, and her voice is truly stunning. EVERY friend who came to see the play thought she was a rare talent. If she does end up playing Anne all doubters will be silenced immediately. Until then, I thought I would inject a little truth into this discussion.

Bradley Dean

TheBoyDownstairs Profile Photo
TheBoyDownstairs
#642A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/14/09 at 10:23am

I'll be happy just as long as we get Lansbury and we are spared Raul Esparza as Fredrik...I've loved him in a lot of roles, but I really just don't see this role being a match for him at all.

Yankeefan007
#643A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/14/09 at 10:46am

So people don't want this person who auditioned and is probably very good to be cast because her parents were in the original production?

That's a new level of ridiculousness. Even for this forum.

jagfkb
#644A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/14/09 at 10:57am

Regardless of the roles, Esparza and Lansbury back on Broadway in an already acclaimed revival of one of the best Sondheim shows is good enough for me...

givesmevoice
#645A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/14/09 at 11:19am

I don't think it's gimmicky at all, just awesome. I think that rumor about Andrea McArdle and her daughter going into Mamma Mia! is closer to being a gimmick. or, say, if Patti LuPone had a daughter who was in Gypsy with her.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#646A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/14/09 at 12:20pm

IF Lansbury doesn't do the role God help the actress who does. She will be slaughtered here for not being Angela Lansbury.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#647A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/14/09 at 10:50pm

http://talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1750219

I'm guessing this person read the Bernadette thread here. I cannot imagine Nunn approving Bernadette, unless he rethought his entire concept.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#648A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/14/09 at 11:04pm

What exactly is "Nunn's concept"?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#649A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 7/14/09 at 11:07pm

Casting all of the characters younger than they usually are.

Videos