AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#50AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 8:52pm

I would like to add that I am in LOVE with the arrangements and harmonies on the cast recording. I can't wait to see it!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#51AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 8:57pm

I think it's a valid topic. This is musical theatre after all, not just punk music. All about choices. It was their choice not to use any. I'm only going off the preview video. Never mind, not worth it, haha. Back on topic, these reviews make the show sound like a Best Musical winner this year...

~Steven

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#52AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:02pm

"Just watched the BWW sneak peak, and... is that really considered good singing?"

Good god sometimes i just wanna scream at people on here.

From someone who’s worked as a singer and dancer in West End musicals for years i can say YES that it bloody good singing. The cast sound fantastic, the harmonies in the songs are beautiful and as they capture the essence of the music with ease. I don't know how anyone (unless their 80 years old) can hear that and not hear how great the cast sound

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

broadwayman17
#53AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:11pm

EW: Mixed to Positive (B)
"Still, punk nihilism and showbiz spirit-fingers are uneasy bedfellows. And at times, Idiot’s efforts to meld the two are jarring. In that sense, Billie Joe Armstrong and director/co-writer Michael Mayer’s decision to emphasize songs over story may have actually done them a favor; it keeps the action moving swiftly and leaves little time to linger on narrative weakness. Purists on either side of the punk/Broadway divide will likely feel under-served by the mix, but for fans of both (and the ecstatic crowd seemed full of them), the evening offers a chaotic, cathartic experience."
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20362571,00.html

Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible

FindingNamo
#54AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:25pm

"and... is that really considered good singing?"

"which is very vibrato-deficient, especially on the recording"

Thank you baby Jesus, thank you Christ child.

You nerds and dweebs should vote with your allowance money. Don't go to the show. Stay home and watch Glee and American Idol. Maybe, and I know this is shocking, American Idiot isn't FOR you? (I mean, obviously it's about you but that's another story...)

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#55AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:27pm

I feel this is a Pulitzer winning essay in the making. AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

songanddanceman2
#56AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:27pm

Finacial Times - Positive
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/3820d950-4c96-11df-9977-00144feab49a.html

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#57AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:29pm

The Observer looks Mixed-to-Negative

http://www.observer.com/2010/culture/green-day-american-idiot

jeffmiele
#58AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:36pm

WOW.. Word of Mouth people actually didn't like something for once:

http://www.broadway.com/videos/tag/word-mouth/word-of-mouth-review-american-idiot/

songanddanceman2
#59AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:38pm

I wouldnt say Word of Mouth didnt like it
One of them didnt, 2 of them did even though they mentioned the story was weak they both said it was an exciting piece of theatre

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#60AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:46pm

O please I was just making an observation. Go crucify me, why don't you. I cannot comment on how the show is, I said I was basing my observations on the show preview. Why can't the observation of no vibrato be a discussion topic? Did I say it didn't work for Spring Awakening? I'm a fan of that show, by the way. For me, as a musical director, the discussion of how appropriate or not vibrato is in the confines of a score/song is a valid and apropos discussion topic for me given the popularity of alt/punk shows as of late.

~Steven

songanddanceman2
#61AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:49pm

Updated On: 4/20/10 at 09:49 PM

Pianist3912
#62AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:52pm

So, looks like almost every review is either mixed to positive or just positive?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#63AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:52pm

That's the AP review, not the New York Times.

~Steven

songanddanceman2
#64AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:53pm

arrrgh sorry, my bad

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#65AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:54pm

No worries. :)

~Steven

FindingNamo
#66AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 9:58pm

Go dig out Judy at Carnegie Hall and have a vibratogasm.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

rmusic11322
#67AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:02pm

The only time I remember seeing someone from Word Of Mouth not liking a show was that one kid who saw Next To Normal.

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#68AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:08pm

New York Times
New York Times

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#69AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:09pm

Did Word of Mouth's Angie get punched in the face at American Idiot?

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#70AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:09pm

Thanks for a mature and practical response, Namo.

Maybe I have too much faith in humankind, but I'm always surprised at how mean people can be on this site. Guys, we discuss THEATRE. Why the hate?

Anyway, congrats to the show on its positive reviews so far.

~Steven

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#71AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:15pm

That is a strange review.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#72AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:22pm

Wow, that's a flat out rave from the Times. I confess that I was underwhelmed last night. Partly because the balcony at the St. James isn't conducive to actually seeing things, but also because I just thought there'd be more...there there.

I fell in love with Dookie when I was in high school, and American Idiot was by all means a great album. But I don't know that I'm buying the argument that we don't need a story because the show is like an opera--broad strokes and big feelings. To a certain extent, it IS thrilling. The energy, enthusiasm, and fierce sound of the piece were affecting. But I couldn't care about any of the characters. They just never transcended stereotypes, so I always felt at a remove from what was happening onstage.

I left the theater knowing I'd buy the cast recording (and I did) and that I'd likely see it again. Even still, I felt it was a failure of storytelling. If it had simply been an impressionistic concert with scenes inspired by the music, that would be one thing. That they tried to fuse a clumsy, predictable storyline onto it: that's where I think they went astray.

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#73AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:25pm

...not sure why Isherwood starts by calling this a punk musical, and then dwells on rock opera for the rest of his review as if punk and rock are indistinguishable.

That being said, I'm very happy for the show and the reception it's had; I was totally enthralled when I saw it, and I will definitely go back to see it in it's "frozen" form.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck
Updated On: 4/20/10 at 10:25 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#74AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:25pm

I thought they hadn't changed much since Isherwood last saw the show? I wonder what made him fall in love with it.

Well...we've found our Best Musical winner.

Videos