Here Comes GODSPELL!

junkyard
#50Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 3:42pm

Mr. Newintown appears to have some personal grudge against the producer and/or the show. Good man, you need to lighten up and be a litle less 'bitchy'.....

julesboogie Profile Photo
julesboogie
#51Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 3:57pm

massofmen

Naaaaa, because anything thats new and not Book of Mormon gets panned, and closes quickly. Why bother.

walkedthroughmany Profile Photo
walkedthroughmany
#52Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 4:10pm

With only five Broadway shows to his credit, one of which was a mega-flop, and none of which ran even 5 months, I'm not sure that's verifiable. And Off-Broadway, he's done only low-end fare for tourists who couldn't get Broadway tix. Altar Boyz, a silly little piece that makes Forever Plaid look like Shakespeare, is the closest thing he has to a legit success (which he shares with 7 other producers).

I'm just going to verify some things for you: "Speed-the-Plow," "Blithe Spirit," and "You're Welcome America" all recouped their investments. 3 out of 5 Broadway shows recouping is not the work of a dumb producer. The Off-Broadway productions of "Altar Boyz," "My First Time," and "Awesome 80s Prom" all recouped their investments as well, the former completing a national tour and the latter still running. For Off-Broadway, that's unheard of. Not sure where all this hate is coming from.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#53Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 4:17pm

"Mr. Newintown appears to have some personal grudge against the producer and/or the show. Good man, you need to lighten up and be a litle less 'bitchy'....."

Ahhhh, I was wondering how long it would take before the personal attacks began - you can always count on someone.

Nothing personal here (are you a friend of someone associated with the show? A marketing intern?), but I remember how many other times this particular revival (which, I freely admit, sounds pointless and tired) has been touted, only to vanish into obscurity.

But if it makes you feel better, sure, go on. Make up silly stories about my personal grudge.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#54Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 4:34pm

"I'm just going to verify some things for you: "Speed-the-Plow," "Blithe Spirit," and "You're Welcome America" all recouped their investments."

True. They also had very short runs (always intended to be limited, no doubt, but short). If there was a demand, they would have run longer. And the lead producer (the one who can take the credit for smart business) was Jeffrey Richards, not Davenport.

AEA AGMA SM
#55Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 6:07pm

"Hmm... thake a nice little Off-Broadway hit from several decades ago, and mount a Broadway revival...

It worked so well for Charlie Brown and Little Shop, right?

Why not Nunsense on Broadway? - Oops - I guess that would be Sister Act."

Just want to point out that this is not the first Broadway production. The original did transfer to Broadway and played over 500 performances, and even survived bouncing around to 3 different theaters: the Broadhurst, Plymouth and Ambassador.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#56Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 6:24pm

Every time I read this thread title I can't help thinking:

"Here Comes GODSPELL, Here Comes GODSPELL, right down GODSPELL LANE!"

It's a sickness!

There. I'm done.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

walkedthroughmany
#57Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 6:58pm

True. They also had very short runs (always intended to be limited, no doubt, but short). If there was a demand, they would have run longer. And the lead producer (the one who can take the credit for smart business) was Jeffrey Richards, not Davenport.

I don't understand how Davenport is blamed for them not running longer, but Richards gets credit for them recouping.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#58Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 7:11pm

Don't have the time or energy to fully explain to you walkedthrough, but it appears GODSPELL will be the first time Davenport has been a lead producer -- quite a different position than what he served previously.

walkedthroughmany
#59Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 7:38pm

Egghumor, I realize that. My question is, why does everyone feel the way they do about Davenport? What has he done that has frightened BWW so?

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#60Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 7:47pm

walkedthrough, I can only speak for myself... I have no opinion of Mr. Davenport whatsoever. For me, the central issue is attempting another Broadway mounting of GODSPELL when the previous one failed. In my opinion, it simply does not belong on Broadway (although the Circle in the Square is the best possible venue for it). Also, I think if Mr. Davenport perhaps enjoyed a stronger reputation amongst theater investors, he wouldn't have to resort to such odd money-raising tactics. Between the show itself, and his way of financing it, is what is causing so much reaction. My problems with the venture have precious little to do with Mr. Davenport's abilities, but rather his judgment, and the original material.

labwyfan Profile Photo
labwyfan
#61Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 8:21pm

From all I've seen and heard so fall, Godspell is a passion project for Davenport. And that is what it needs.

While I agree this unique way of raising money is not conventional, it just might work. There could be a perfect storm in November of nostaligia, a new excitement for Broadway (if SMASH takes off), excitement for another Schwartz musical and /or religious-themed musicals. 2011 is not 2008.

It wont need to run very long to recoup its initial investment(s). Time will tell. I like to err on the side of optimism. If it runs, it will keep many people employed for a while, whether or not you are a fan of the material. And many people are.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#62Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 8:30pm

labdwyfan, I think almost all shows have to a passionate endeavor for the lead producer. I don't disagree with you, but as I said much earlier in this thread, it sounds like Davenport is basically just asking people to buy their tickets in advance (which would explain the feeble amount required for a share)

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#63Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/26/11 at 11:59pm

I don't understand why you keep making that point. The minimum required to invest is $1,000. That's not exactly loose change for many people, probably most people who work in theater, and even premium tickets haven't gotten that expensive (yet).

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

thismyshow
#64Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/27/11 at 12:12am

i dont understand where all this negativity is coming from on this.......

temms Profile Photo
temms
#65Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/27/11 at 12:49pm

I'm not losing any sleep over it, but I think a Broadway revival of "Godspell" is a foolish endeavor. I've seen the show countless times, and the times it's worked the best have been in the most ragged-edged productions where the community of the ensemble is the strongest and you feel the emotion.

Every professional "Godspell" I've seen has been slick and obnoxious and the twee early-'70s-ness can really grate. But I've seen productions in church apses with less-than-A+ performers that have moved me incredibly. I've found that community theatre and school casts (of most any show) bond in a special way that professionals just don't, even in the best of circumstances. A show like "Godspell" lets that bond really drive the story, and I've seen versions of "On The Willows" with the disciples saying goodbye one-by-one that have slayed me as hard as any big Broadway production.

Most shows benefit from experience and polish; this is one that I feel doesn't. And it's not a particularly difficult show to pull off, so it's not as though seeing it on Broadway is an audience's only chance to see the show done right. I think it's best served performed by really really passionate people who believe in what they're doing in a visceral way. In a black box or unconventional setting, it can be magical.

That's my only issue with a Godspell revival. I don't think the show needs a Gavin Creel or a Broadway theatre or a multi-million dollar production and I actually think those things work against what the show is. Maybe they'll cast it perfectly and design it perfectly, but $100+ for Godspell (and a production that will likely aim to "give people their money's worth") seems to me to miss the point of what makes the show work.

Just my two cents.

NPHCreel
#66Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/27/11 at 6:55pm

Under their financial structure, it doesn't appear feasible to cast any "names" in the show. I can't see Gavin and Diana joining the cast (but hey, who knows), so the name and the history of the show is going to have to be what interests people, and that's where I think it might have trouble.

Getting Circle on the Square gives it the best possible chance at succeeding though, and I hope it does well.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#67Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/27/11 at 7:03pm

I think temms makes some very astute points. Thanks for your perspective on the show.

bk
#68Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 5/27/11 at 7:54pm

Two questions:

They've set an opening date - they've got a theater - but do they actually have the money to do the show or are they flying on a wing and a prayer, hoping to have it by the time rehearsals start.

"As a DIY artist"

Can someone tell me what a DIY artist is?

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#69Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 6/7/11 at 11:31pm

They've set an opening date - they've got a theater - but do they actually have the money to do the show or are they flying on a wing and a prayer, hoping to have it by the time rehearsals start.

That, detective, is the right question.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

phantomofoffbdwy
#70Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 7/13/11 at 5:15pm

shakey is a euphemism

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#71Here Comes GODSPELL!
Posted: 7/13/11 at 5:43pm

What's really grating is the constant use of the word "twee" in this thread. UGH!

Updated On: 7/13/11 at 05:43 PM

Videos