Miss Saigon Movie

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#50Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/28/12 at 1:34pm

Watanabe has the classic Pryce-as-Engineer look Perfectly in just about every photo that exists of him. However, he may be a little TOO suave, charming and distinguished for the role- ditto for Cumming.

I could be alone in this opinion, but if the Engineer becomes a "love to hate him" charming villain, we lose the central humor of the show- a racially ambiguous small-fry criminal who wants to be everything to everyone and ends up repeatedly as nothing to no one. Failed club owner, failed government informant, failed Bangkok pimp, and ultimately failed at the one thing he wants the most but can never be- a rich white American.

Jon
#51Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/28/12 at 2:30pm

At YouTube, there are idioit comments on the Les Miz trailer saying it's a crime that Lea Salonga wasn't cast as Eponine in the movie, and that she MUST be given her role as Kim in a Miss Saigon movie.

41 year old Lea Salonga.

moncruzz
#52Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/28/12 at 3:02pm

I'm 17 and I'm new here today....

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#53Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/28/12 at 5:39pm

On a thread about fantasy casting the Les Mis movie last year, I mentioned that i'd love to see Aaron Tveit as Enjolras, and a few months later, they announced that casting choice. So hoping that i'll get lucky again, i'll put in my vote for James Snyder as Chris in the Miss Saigon movie. He would sound fabulous singing 'Why God Why?'.

Eponine72
#54Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/28/12 at 10:06pm

I can see Miss Saigon as a better movie then Les Miserables. It has a bit simpler story, and it's not as widely done; so it's not as 'set' as Les Mis. While I am very dubious about the Les Mis movie, I could get really excited for this.

I would say Ramin Karimloo for Chris.... although maybe he's to old.

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#55Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/29/12 at 4:56pm

Personally i think Matthew Morrison is looking his age these days. Chris Evans can still play the younger clean cut American hero, look at Captain America. Plus i never saw Chris as having to be a particular age, certainly on stageits been a variety, averaging mid to late twenties. I also wouldnt mind a return to dubbing, best of both worlds as many musical theatre actors cant act well enough on screen.

Also Miss Saigon could be stunning on film, it has sweeping epic all over it and is more cinematic.

One suggestion, Dean Geyer? Good look, can sing and thanks to Glee now has wider recognition

Dave19
#56Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/29/12 at 5:12pm

"James Snyder as Chris in the Miss Saigon movie"

I didn't know him, but I googled and youtubed him and I have to say, he would be great for the role!!

Owen22
#57Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/29/12 at 5:29pm

I'm actually warming to Ken Jeong as the Engineer...

Wildcard
#58Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/29/12 at 5:35pm

I was actually thinking of Dean Geyer as Chris as well. I wouldn't mind seeing him sing "Why God Why" with his shirt off.

Dave19
#59Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/29/12 at 7:05pm

Dean Geyer as Chris is something like Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson as Ellen.

You shouldn't want that. It might be nice for pop versions of songs on some kind of concept album, but not for in the actual film.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#60Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/29/12 at 8:37pm

It's gonna be a pop voice or an actor-who-sings voice. Even Aaron Tveit is more of a pop voice than a not-pop voice.. You're not going to have the glorious, Josh Grobanesque vocal stylings of a Ramin Karimloo or really any "mega-musical singer," because on screen that might come off as too much, or not palatable to the masses.

Dave19
#61Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/30/12 at 7:19am

The same could be said about the role of Eponine in Les Miserables.

Taylor Swift versus Samantha Barks.
We all know what is more satisfying in the end in terms of mastering the craft of singing material like this.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#62Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/30/12 at 8:58am

I hope they take 2 unknown singers/actors for these roles, or people from the theatre world.

The studio wants to sell movie tickets. There's no way that those two roles would go to "people from the theater world". They'll go with a box office name for either one or both those roles.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#63Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/30/12 at 9:08am

I love it already.

Dave19
#64Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/30/12 at 9:34am

I hope they save the big names for the roles of John and the Engineer.

The roles of Kim and Chris need more important things than that.

I also wish they would cast a movie these days, where they would just take the person that is most suitable for a part. Imagine what a fantastic movie you could create.......

Unfortunately most producers and directors are scared chickens these days and think the same way you do.

Updated On: 9/30/12 at 09:34 AM

chris d
#65Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/30/12 at 11:19am

I'd rather have Danny Boyle direct, with Robert Carlyle as Engineer.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#66Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/30/12 at 11:51am

Carlyle would probably be amazing, as he is in everything. I can't help but feel that we wouldn't get another not at all Asian Engineer after the past debacle, though.

chris d
#67Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/30/12 at 12:14pm

definitely true, but I still think Boyle's style and approach would be perfect for this material. I think Lee Daniels would try to make it as gritty as possible, which is never good when adapting a musical...

Wildcard
#68Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/30/12 at 12:44pm

What I would like to see is the Engineer going down late 70s era Times Square in a parade float with hooker balloons up in the air a la the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade singing "The American Dream."

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#69Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/30/12 at 12:57pm

^ We have a winner.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

SporkGoddess
#70Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/30/12 at 2:16pm

If Boyle directed, I would be the happiest Miss Saigon fan on earth.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#71Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/30/12 at 2:21pm

Gritty would be good for this one, but not constantly. The musical's use of cinematic stylings and imagery would have to translate at least somewhat- as an ironic juxtaposition against the world of the Vietnam War and its fallout, at any rate.

Seeing bits and pieces of Gigi's "Movie In My Mind" play out in perfect Hollywood fashion intercut with the realities of the Dreamland brothel could be heartbreaking. And it's a bit different than seeing a flashback during "Barber and His Wife" or "I Dreamed A Dream." Here, the character actually retreats into a fantasy world to cope. It would be almost a waste, on film, to not embrace that moment rather than have it be simply a "park and bark" number.

chris d
#72Miss Saigon Movie
Posted: 9/30/12 at 10:08pm

that could be magical in the right hands. I think Boyle (primarily in Slumdog) balances grit with style, politics, fantasy, & romance perfectly, and Miss Saigon has the same qualities. we gotta make it happen!! Miss Saigon Movie

Videos