pixeltracker

Misty Copeland to join "On the Town"- Page 3

Misty Copeland to join "On the Town"

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#50Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 11:34pm

"$10 bucks says this closes on Sept. 6."

I believe a replacement has already been cast. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#51Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 11:37pm

""This site is not a big fan of Misty's. Not knowing much about ballet, I couldn't say anything about her abilities. I'm not wild about all the non-singers or not-primarily-singers starring in musicals but if this gives OTT a bump at the box office then I'm all for it. "
It seems like that site has way more issues about life that go well beyond Misty Copeland and is using her as a tool to vent out those frustrations.
As to OTT finally getting a ballet superstar, well, I thought Megan Fairchild was a thrilling dancer who really knew how to act the part through dance."

Megan Fairchild has been a principal dancer with the New York City Ballet for several years, so it's not like she's some also-ran.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Curious3
#52Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/6/15 at 11:51pm

For those who don't know (and probably don't care) Megan Fairchild is 1. A brilliant dancer 2. Has been a Principal (highest category) at New York City Ballet for many years. Also, her sister in law Tyler Peck (married to Robbie Fairchild) was originally cast in the role. Tyler is also a Principal dancer with NYCB. She subed for Megan for several weeks. In addition Sara Mearns (another NYCB superstar) also subed for Megan. Not in any way to detract from Misty Copeland, (I've seen her dance with ABT many, many times) however, her star is in the ascension and her PR coverage in the last year has been massive. OTT is a brilliant production and anything that might help is fine with me. But having Misty Copeland in the show at this time is nothing more than a headline grab. I wish her well and I'm sure she will be fine in the role but no one should think that she is adding an extra special ballet luster to the role. Simply not the case considering who has preceded.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#53Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/7/15 at 1:17am

"This site is not a big fan of Misty's. Not knowing much about ballet, I couldn't say anything about her abilities. I'm not wild about all the non-singers or not-primarily-singers starring in musicals but if this gives OTT a bump at the box office then I'm all for it. "

Uhh, yeah.  Have you seen OTT?  This is not a role for an actress/singer who moves well. It requires a dancer of enormous talent who, yes, can sing sweetly and act with charm, but who is primarily a great dancer.  

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#54Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/7/15 at 1:26pm

Don't think that Nigel Lythgoe, who is a producer on On The Town, won't have Misty guest judge during the SYTYCD live shows and mention her stint like crazy. He's already had Joshua Bergasse choreograph a piece to OTT's music during the elimination rounds. 

Misty is most of America's only recognizable name in non-ballet circles, mostly thanks to SYTYCD, and a huge inspiration for minorities now, and the talent is unbelievable, so yes this can be considered a "stunt casting" but good heavens, I can't think of a better fit than this one.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ChiTheaterFan
#55Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/8/15 at 5:17pm

This is very exciting. I hopped on to this board because I unexpectedly have one night in NY and am going to hop over to the TKTS booth. I was deciding between it shoulda been you and on the town, knowing for sure the former is closing and fighting the latter isn't far behind. (I've seen or will see basically everything else except a few I'll catch on tour. And Finding Neverland but I'm waiting to see if Kelsey comes back in September as originally announced (or rumored?) since I really enjoyed him in La Cage. Plus that will be around awhile.) But I already booked a Labor Day weekend trip to see taye diggs in Hedwig. I have tickets for that Saturday evening and Hamilton Sunday evening (surprised me that they're doing a Sunday evening show but whatever). So now that it sounds like this will still be around I will add one of Misty's performances to that list and go catch ISBY tonight before it closes!  Glad I came here and checked. :)

ChiTheaterFan
#56Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:16pm

Can anyone weigh in on whether it's better to sit in the orchestra or dress circle for this show?  I'm planning to catch Misty's last performance since I'll be in town, and I can basically have my pick of any seats. (Kind of sad really how many are left but not surprising.) I'm sure tickets will be available from TKTS but I'm going to get my tickets ahead of time this time around because I'd like to ensure good seats to get the best view of the performance.  Front center orchestra is roughly the same price as center dress circle. I usually go with orchestra to get a more intimate experience, but since this show has a lot of dancing is it better to have a broader vantage point?  

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#57Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/14/15 at 3:13pm

I would go for the orchestra. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#58Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/14/15 at 3:40pm

Chi, If Center orchestra - about 1/2 way back - is available, that view can't be beat.  Also, there is a row in the orchestra that I happened to get a discount ticket for.  I think it's row H (but you should verify) which has AMAZING leg room because the row in front has been removed for actors to walk through the audience.  

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#59Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/14/15 at 4:35pm

Just checked some dates on Ticketmaster for availability during those 12 performances and was shocked to see the house is barely sold. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#60Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/14/15 at 5:27pm

Regretfully, short of Hugh Jackman coming into the show, nothing will save this. It is a very entertaining show which is simply not selling. Enjoyed it more than AAIP but people are flocking to that and not coming to this. This is a simple fact

It is not the first time, nor will it be the last, where an entertaining show simply cannot bring in an audience. As talented as Copeland is, many still do not know about her. Add to that 12 performences is a drop in the bucket. 12 performences is not an game changer. Sting tried valiantly to save The Last Ship from sinking.Yes grosses went up when he went in but even he could not sell out. Even so, when he left, the grosses dropped accordingly.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 7/14/15 at 05:27 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#61Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/14/15 at 5:35pm

"Chi, If Center orchestra - about 1/2 way back - is available, that view can't be beat.  Also, there is a row in the orchestra that I happened to get a discount ticket for.  I think it's row H (but you should verify) which has AMAZING leg room because the row in front has been removed for actors to walk through the audience.  "

Thanks!  It is indeed row H. I can tell from the seat map. Unfortunately those seats are $249 premium and I don't see any discounts. But I can get center orchestra just behind the premium section so I think I'll go with that. Thanks for the tip!

sad to see this isn't selling. Hopefully it will actually stick around so I can see it as it looks like a fun time. (I can't imagine they'd close before September 6 with Misty's limited engagement apparently set, though?)

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#62Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/14/15 at 9:44pm

""Chi, If Center orchestra - about 1/2 way back - is available, that view can't be beat.  Also, there is a row in the orchestra that I happened to get a discount ticket for.  I think it's row H (but you should verify) which has AMAZING leg room because the row in front has been removed for actors to walk through the audience.  "
Thanks!  It is indeed row H. I can tell from the seat map. Unfortunately those seats are $249 premium and I don't see any discounts. But I can get center orchestra just behind the premium section so I think I'll go with that. Thanks for the tip!

sad to see this isn't selling. Hopefully it will actually stick around so I can see it as it looks like a fun time. (I can't imagine they'd close before September 6 with Misty's limited engagement apparently set, though?)"

I was able to use the BroadwayBox discount code to get those seats for those Orch, Row H seats for $79/ea.  Might wanna at least call to see.  

ChiTheaterFan
#63Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:00pm

I tried the BBOX code but no dice for those seats. Good idea on calling. I get so used to doing everything online I forget sometimes it helps to actually talk to someone. If that doesn't work, I'll probably just wait a bit. There is no shortage of good seats for this performance, so maybe more seats will be discounted as it gets closer. And even if not, it still doesn't look like I'll have any difficulty getting a nice orchestra seat in a month or so so no harm in waiting 

Thanks for the advice!

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#64Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:02pm

Yeah, you won't have any trouble.  I probably should have noted that I got my tix the day of, at the box office.  I could be wrong, but I imagine box office staff have a bit more leeway with selecting the eligible discounted seats.  Anyway, you're gonna love the show

ChiTheaterFan
#65Misty Copeland to join
Posted: 7/15/15 at 1:26am

"Yeah, you won't have any trouble.  I probably should have noted that I got my tix the day of, at the box office.  I could be wrong, but I imagine box office staff have a bit more leeway with selecting the eligible discounted seats.  Anyway, you're gonna love the show"

You're probably right. And I bet not all the premium seats will sell for premium and they'll drop in price. So probably best to wait. 

I'm sure I'll love it!  So many good shows to see so I was sad thinking I'd miss it. Glad it's sticking around and I'm just sad it's not selling better. 

Updated On: 7/15/15 at 01:26 AM

Videos