Barbra's Tour

10086sunset
#50Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/3/16 at 1:33pm

Curious to see if the set list changes but imagine it will remain the same for all the shows...

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#51Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/3/16 at 1:45pm

Well I had a great time.  I was happy that her material consisted of a lot of songs she had not done in a while.   I hated the set and the position of the screen behind her as opposed to above her.   The two side jumbo screens are also cheated towards the front.   If you are in the cheap side balcony seats you might be missing a little bit.  Early in Act 1 she brings on this mind reader / magician . It was such a waste of 15 minutes.  He bombed.  I suspect he will be cut before the next stop ( or changed) . Her teleprompter's are more on display than ever.  I found myself reading what she was about to say a few times.  When she sang it was wonderful.  Sure her voice is deeper now and there are some notes that are not as crystal as they were in her hey day.  But it doesn't matter.  When she sings it is true magic time.  Her dress in Act 2 is hideous.  But that piñata look was always her thing.  I loved all her digs at Trump.  I was waiting for them and she delivered.  Her duet partners last night were all great.  Jamie Fox and Seth Mcfarlane being my favorites.  She dueted Evergreen with baby face.  But I would have rathered she did it alone.   I loved all the Star Is Born songs.  Especially "with one more look at you". Always one of my favorites.  I wish she had done at least one song from Dolly.  I've been told something was rehearsed but cut. Babs is more relaxed than ever on stage.  She lost a earring  right before happy days at the end.  Her looking for it made her so human and the audience ate it up. 

All in all a great concert.  If you are thinking of going.  GO.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 8/3/16 at 01:45 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#52Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/3/16 at 1:47pm

Double Post

Updated On: 8/3/16 at 01:47 PM

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#53Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/3/16 at 2:15pm

The set list will most certainly change to a small degree.

For starters I think that her duet partners will change.   I don't know that Babyface, Seth McFarlane or Jamie Foxx will perform with her again.   If not Evergreen can easily be a solor but would she also do solo versions of Pure Imagination or Climb Every Mountain.  I am sure that there will be duet partners in Brooklyn but I don't know about the other locations.  If you lived near a city it would be fine to come to do one song but to fly across the country?

I would love to see the set list from the Monday rehearsal.   Songs were cut.   At one point she went to introduce Gypsy but caught herself when she remember that song was cut.   She did that by habit before looking at the teleprompter.  

She went to sip her tea and there was no straw.   She asked where the straw was and could the straw person be sure there was one there the next time.   I imagine that there will always be a straw in the future.   If you are the straw person how can you forget that?  I am sure everything on stage is very specific in case she wanted or needed it.

I thought it would be cool to go to the final show in Ontario but I realized that once I put out that money there would always be the chance of adding more performances or perhaps a European leg of the tour.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#54Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/3/16 at 2:19pm

I too noticed the Gypsy thing.  But I thought maybe I misheard.  Glad you caught it as well.  The mind reader also bombed at the dress rehearsal.  I couldn't believe they didn't cut him then. 

Updated On: 8/3/16 at 02:19 PM

smidge
#55Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/3/16 at 2:50pm

Has Barbra done Enough is enough frequently in concert? How is it solo? That setlist really has me considering buying a ticket.

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#56Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/3/16 at 3:02pm

On her last tour, her tour started on the east coast and by the time she ended on the west coast there'd been several song changes, so I wouldn't be too surprised if there were some changes over the next few weeks. I wonder what Gypsy number she was going to sing! I really can't wait to see this. WestCoast, thanks for the merch booth pic! 

WestCoastActor/Director
#57Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/3/16 at 5:31pm

Barbra sang a portion of Enough Is Enough in her tour after Donna Summer passed as a tribute to her.   In the new  tour it isn't a solo.   Her girls sing Donna's part.   It seems to me that the tour before the last her girls only sang The Main Event with her.   This time they sing back up on several songs- even ones that didn't have back up vocals on the recordings.  A few of the songs had new arrangements which I found refreshing.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#58Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/3/16 at 5:36pm

Really hideous production design, but y'all have me looking for tickets at Barclays... kind of excited.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#59Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/4/16 at 10:01am

seeing the one and only BABS this Saturday in Vegas...details to follow...although i am sitting in the cheap seats i do hope i see more than the cheap seats at Staples saw...that's why i choose Vegas...we shall see...:)

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#60Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/4/16 at 10:19am

I will be seeing her in Vegas as well. When they reduced the prices I called the box office of the venue and was able to get my seats upgraded. Some others I know were able to as well. Worth a try! Good luck 702-692-1616

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#61Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/4/16 at 1:01pm

What were people wearing? Seeing the show in San Jose tonight where it's 100 degrees. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#62Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/4/16 at 1:14pm

FlyingMonkey1223 said: "What were people wearing? Seeing the show in San Jose tonight where it's 100 degrees. "

I saw everything from shorts to formal.  I would go comfortable.  

Updated On: 8/4/16 at 01:14 PM

smidge
#63Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/4/16 at 1:51pm

Broke down and bought the lowest possible price point at Barclays which was side stage. How open is the staging or will I see absolutely nothing?

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#64Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/4/16 at 2:07pm

I was high up at the top level of Staples Center but directly above the stage. She didn't move around much, so I was able to look down at her or watch the screen. The folks sitting behind the stage had very little view, but mine wasn't obstructed at all - just far away.

WestCoastActor/Director
#65Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/4/16 at 2:38pm

I had a side seat in LA and it was fine.  It only cost $99 and because I bought the tickets right when they went on sale I was in the front row of my section.

You are actually closer than a lot of the floor seats and section facing the stage.  There screens show the close ups.   The thing you miss is the projections behind her.

Updated On: 8/5/16 at 02:38 PM

barbraboy19902
#66Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/4/16 at 2:45pm

Popular said: "I will be seeing her in Vegas as well. When they reduced the prices I called the box office of the venue and was able to get my seats upgraded. Some others I know were able to as well. Worth a try! Good luck 702-692-1616

"

I'm seeing her in Vegas also. What did you say to get them to allow the upgrade? Did they charge you? Also, what info did they need from you?

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#67Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/4/16 at 2:53pm

Look online, and if your section is now selling for less than what you bought it for tell them you'd like to be upgraded to be in a section that is worth as much as what you paid. Hope that makes sense. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#68Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/4/16 at 2:54pm

Just say you had bought tickets and your a little upset that prices were reduced in your same section after you purchased. Be nice about it.  But be ready to make s think.    Thats what I would do. 

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#69Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/4/16 at 3:00pm

I was prepared to make a stink… Let them know I felt punished for buying seats early… But fortunately the representative I got was very nice and accommodating.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#70Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/5/16 at 1:05pm

From what I have read so far from San Jose... no duet partners at that stop .  Also people are still complaining about the mind reader. 

smidge
#71Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/5/16 at 2:19pm

Dame -Has she made any mention of her "Papa", the recently deceased Nehemiah Persoff?

Also, if anyone can keep us  updated with any cuts or changes in the running time.

Claudia Draper
#72Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/5/16 at 2:33pm

http://www.barbra-archives.com/

This is the site she mentions in the Times article.. 

extraordinary research by Matt Howe

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#73Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/5/16 at 4:06pm

The mind reader was terrible and really awkward. Climb every mountain was cut. No duet partners. Good show but she seemed to be struggling to remember a lot of the lyrics to songs. 

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#74Barbra's Tour
Posted: 8/5/16 at 4:21pm

That's odd - was a teleprompter visible? I had side seats at Staples Center and had a perfect view of it. Gigantic screen with literally every lyric and spoken word on it.

Videos