pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 1:27pm

@JustAnother there is no such thing as holding theatres. Your license is for one show. the landlord gets to decide what comes in next (each tub on its own bottom) and besides no one would lose money to hold on to a generally undesirable theatre anyway.

@Concierge stop clauses are almost never invoked and certainly not between the Nederlanders and David Stone and Marc Platt. When they want the theatre back, they'll get the theatre back. No one pushes someone out unless and until they have something ready to come in. A lousy show is better for a landlord than an empty building. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 1:52pm

I had totally forgotten David Stone and Marc Platt were War Paint producers. Think they can get Idina and Kristin to replace Patti and Christine, for a limited run perhaps and make some more money? I'd imagine that pairing would get people come to the show.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 2:00pm

HogansHero said: "@JustAnother there is no such thing as holding theatres. Your license is for one show. the landlord gets to decide what comes in next (each tub on its own bottom) and besides no one would lose money to hold on to a generally undesirable theatre anyway".

For point 1, if the show that you perceive as your major competitor for a theater is looking to lock in a venue right now, I can see postponing an announcement to ensure they don't get that theater. That said, as they would say in groundhog, it's a duck move and might not endear you to the owners of the theater (so it's more of a kagan move, perhaps). 

Point two I'll concede. I can see it happening more at one of the theater in prime broadway, though

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 3:07pm

I think you have point 1 pretty much figured out. I'll just add that landlords generally keep who they are slotting into theatres pretty close to the vest, and of course you're not likely to learn about it from your competitor. I'm not saying it could never happen but I don't see it as a thing I'd expect from most first tier producers. And of course we are still talking about the Nederlander-not exactly anyone's prime choice unless they are out of options.

JaglinSays
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 4:41pm

The war paint score was pretty much universally lauded critically, along with the performances. So to say otherwise is rather Trumpian...

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 4:45pm

The score of War Paint is actually quite strong.  The problems lie with the book.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 5:39pm

JaglinSays said: "The war paint score was pretty much universally lauded critically, along with the performances. So to say otherwise is rather Trumpian..."

Actually, what you say is not true, and that's so easy to demonstrate that it makes what you have posted sound like fake news. 

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 6:00pm

Anastasia and Chocolate Factory will probably follow the trajectory of Matilda in terms of its ups and downs at the box office - the next sustainable rise will be Thanksgiving thru New Years Day, then Easter and then back to Summer. But the starting point for these shows is notably lower than Matilda's grossing power this early in the run. Can they slog thru the down months and will they be able to compete against Frozen, Sponge Bob and Harry Potter?  Doubtful. Jan 1 closers is not sooner. 

Up In One

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 6:12pm

Anastasia will not close by January. It's popular, it has a solid following, and ticket sales are usually very strong. This is the end of Summer, where many shows take a dip. It's still doing good; the earliest I can see it closing is the end of next year. I'm not sure how long Charlie will last though. It's one of the new shows that parents can take their kids to (Anastasia, Aladdin, Wicked, etc.) without having to worry about the content. However, no Tony noms and all of their negative reviews are not helping them. I'll give it till Spring next year.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#59Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 6:27pm

To those who mentioned A BRONX TALE either doing well or potentially hitting a wall...

By looking at the graph at the bottom, it's clear this show's numbers are consistently on the downward. I wonder what kind of hit it will take after Labor Day and if it'll be able to recover.Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17

JustAnotherNewYorker
#60Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:14pm

Itonlytakesajourney said: "...I'm not sure how long Charlie will last though. It's one of the new shows that parents can take their kids to (Anastasia, Aladdin, Wicked, etc.) without having to worry about the content. ..."

I think people assume it's a safe new show (and the producers have done nothing to disabuse others of the notion), but from what I've heard (the squirrels scene) it's not as safe as it should be if it wanted to avoid playground gossip about how little Johnny was traumatized...

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#61Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:22pm

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "Itonlytakesajourney said: "...I'm not sure how long Charlie will last though. It's one of the new shows that parents can take their kids to (Anastasia, Aladdin, Wicked, etc.) without having to worry about the content. ..."

I think people assume it's a safe new show (and the producers have done nothing to disabuse others of the notion), but from what I've heard (the squirrels scene) it's not as safe as it should be if it wanted to avoid playground gossip about how little Johnny was traumatized...

I quite like the dark touches to the show, but what I meant was that it's sort of a "oh look! I love that movie, let's take the kids to go see it" kind of thing. People assume it's really safe and appropriate, and don't really pay attention to the content before the show. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#62Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 10:18pm

DRSisLove said: "By looking at the graph at the bottom, it's clear this show's numbers are consistently on the downward."

Who made this graph? Fox News? It dropped, but this chart makes it look like it's now down with A Doll's House Part 2 and War Paint.

Updated On: 8/29/17 at 10:18 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#63Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 10:25pm

haterobics said: "DRSisLove said: "By looking at the graph at the bottom, it's clear this show's numbers are consistently on the downward."

Who made this graph? Fox News? It dropped, but this chart makes it look like it's now down with A Doll's House Part 2 and War Paint.

"

I assume they got it from BWW. 

Also, if you read the y-axis you can see the numbering starts at 600,000 thousand. So it actually doesn't make it look like it's down with War Paint and a dolls house.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#64Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 10:40pm

Call_me_jorge said: "
I assume they got it from BWW. "

I did. My point was that its on a consistent decline. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#65Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 10:43pm

haterobics said: "It dropped, but this chart makes it look like it's now down with A Doll's House Part 2 and War Paint."

Not...if you actually read the axes on the graph...?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#66Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 11:08pm

1. On its face it is not "consistent."

2. The entire Y axis is in profit-land, which kinda makes the whole point meaningless. 

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#67Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 11:11pm

Again, I also said I wonder what kind of hit it will take post-labor day, in addition to its consistent decline. Forgive me for including the graph (although it did illustrate the decline). 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#68Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/27/17
Posted: 8/29/17 at 11:23pm

The graph is interesting to see, as long as everyone gets what it is showing. The job of a producer is to look at that and figure out how to get it to plateau over the long haul before it descends too far.

Videos