pixeltracker

Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...- Page 3

Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...

Jarethan
#50Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/17/19 at 5:07pm

I would be interested in hearing if people who listed Merrily have actually seen a production or base it on listening to a cast recording. I have only seen 2 productions of it. The first was one of the worst theatrical experiences in my life and one was the excellent, it far from perfect.

I have seen many excellent productions of Company, SITPWG (which I didn’t even like the first time), ALNM, Sweeney Todd, A Funny Thing Happened, only one of Follies (plus a couple of decent ones, and a couple of awful ones). IMO actual productions of Merrily fall pretty far behind those. (Also I know there have been many acclaimed productions of Into The Woods as well, I have just never been able to see what others do. I do think the point of the show, ‘is there really ever a happily ever after?, is great; I just don’t like the show or the score.

benfox2 Profile Photo
benfox2
#51Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/17/19 at 5:43pm

If I may ask Jarethan, what did you think about the 2013 west end version of merrily? That pro shot is the only version of the show I’ve seen, and I thought it was quite excellent.

SeanMartin2
#52Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/17/19 at 5:56pm

>> there may be something at the Lincoln Center Library

Sadly, there isnt anything for the original production of FOLLIES. And all we have of COMPANY is a very grainy black and white film of (I think) a touring production.

I wouldnt doubt there's a video of both somewhere in the Prince archives, but who knows what's involved in getting something like that released.

One of the critics said, about Klotz' costumes, that she must have used "every bugle bead west of the Hudson". And you cant really appreciate the incredibly intricacy of Aaronson's set without seeing the 1" model on display at the LoPA. 

Jarethan
#53Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/17/19 at 7:54pm

benfox2 said: "If I may ask Jarethan, what did you think about the 2013 west end version of merrily? That pro shot is the only version of the show I’ve seen, and I thought it was quite excellent."

I liked it a lot, would probably give it 4* on a London 5* scale.  I thought it had too much of the ‘bitch’ character (can’t remember her name) and bogged down a little when she got some focus.

Updated On: 12/17/19 at 07:54 PM

Globefan
#54Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/17/19 at 8:24pm

West Side Story 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#55Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/18/19 at 12:03am

joevitus (I don't think his work is any less melodic than Bernstein's in West Side Story, and once the movie company put big bucks into pushing those songs, a "score you can't hum" was suddenly recognized as a national treasure). It's about tailoring the score to the show.

I think that you're going to have a hell of a time convincing people that Sondheim is the equal of Bernstein as a composer. I doubt that Sondheim would claim that. Have you heard the Symphonic Dances he developed from the score to West Side Story. Candide? A lot of that score was just insane.

But I like what you say about tailoring the score to the show. There are a lot of theatrical anthems out there that people know and love. "Don't Cry For Me Argentina," "Can You Hear the People Sing," "Let's Raise a Glass Together," "Last Night of the World," "One". These fit because of the very theatrical shows (although some are almost too theatrical).

Sondheim generally working on shows much smaller in scope would have nowhere to go with the big number. 

By the time the 60s rolled around, it’s rare to find any songs from broadway that entered into the general popular lexicon. Most came from ready-for-the-radio shows like Promises, Promises ( I’ll never fall in love again), or Hair (Aquarius), but of course there are exceptions like Hello Dolly (Louis Armstrong’s version), or People. Sondheim’s prime years came after this. It’s amazing that send in the clowns even became a hit song outside of broadway.

Surprised about "Send In The Clowns?" It's a terrific song, tackling heartbreak with bitter irony and music and lyrics perfectly matched. And it didn't hurt that Judy Collins was the first to widely popularize it. She has done that her whole career, starting with Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen. If Sondheim could have written more songs like that and didn't then it's our loss.

In the 70s, when Sondheim started to roll, he still runs into Kander and Ebb, Jerry Herman and Marvin Hamlisch. I would argue, I think, that they all put our a great deal of songs that were at least more popular than Sondheim. "What I Did For Love," "We Need a Little Christmas," "The Best of Times," "All That Jazz" and "Nowadays." "They're Playing our Song," "Mame," "I Don't Know How to Love Him."

Didn't Jerry Herman accepting his Tony award take a shot at Sondheim for the latter's alleged put down of music that appealed to the public versus music that complemented the musical play?

In the 70s I can still make a case for a lot of Broadway songs that became "hits" or at least were recognizable and performed on TV and in films. Besides those I mentioned, "The Impossible Dream" and "Man of La Mancha" that Linder Eder has made a career from.

I expect that you become more and more right as we move to the mid-80s and beyond. I was distracted by having to work and such. But when you get to the last 20 years are so Sondheim runs into ALW, and I guess the composers of Miss Saigon and Le Miz. ALW generally had great scope to his musicals supported by very theatrical music and he succeeded in getting together to sing his songs The Four Tenors, The Five Altos, Domingo Plaxico and Plaxico Burress and Andrea Bocelli. 'The Music of the Night" and "We Can Hear the People Cry," "Love Changes Everything."

So Sondheim says those big overblown theatrics have overblown songs and his musicals explore the internal life of his characters and only need small voices to address this. Maybe, but before I accept that show me that you can write a couple of ballads like "Send in the Clowns" that everyone wants to record. That would shut up the detractors.

Much too big a subject for me to have started in on here. It would make a good seminar.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#56Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/18/19 at 5:27am

Sunday in the Park with George, hands down. I absolutely love the themes...finding your true self, the value of art and of self worth.

Sweeney and Company are pretty close runner ups.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#57Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/18/19 at 6:22am

Ol Blue Eyes don't confuse your personal prejudices with that of most theatergoers. Follies sees more revivals than Candide, A Little Night Music more revivals than On the Town. Forum more than Wonderful Town. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#58Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/18/19 at 10:24pm

A Little Night Music - which really needs a revival with better costumes and stage sets than the last time. And a movie remake!

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#59Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/18/19 at 10:48pm

^ I second both motions!

Globefan
#60Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/18/19 at 10:54pm

David10086 said: "A Little Night Music - which really needs a revival with better costumes and stage sets than the last time. And a movie remake!"

Who should play the leads in the remake? 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#61Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/19/19 at 10:03am

joevitus said: "Ol Blue Eyes don't confuse your personal prejudices with that of most theatergoers. Follies sees more revivals than Candide, A Little Night Music more revivals than On the Town. Forum more than Wonderful Town."

I was just talking about the score to Candide. The Musical itself has never been very successful. The Overture to Candide is widely played in concert and on classical and light classical radio stations. 

You are right that the scores to Bernstein’s early musicals, although much praised, and perhaps over praised, do not foreshadow the brilliance of West Side Story. A pity that Len didn’t write another musical or two.

JVJ93
#62Favorite Stephen Sondheim Musical...
Posted: 12/19/19 at 10:10am

I think Sondheim’s magnum opus is Sweeney Todd and I think that will forever be known as his ultimate “masterpiece.”
HOWEVER
Sunday in the Park is conclusively my favorite show of his because it is the most personal. The most vulnerable. And there will never be anything else like it.

Videos