pixeltracker

Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances- Page 3

Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#50Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/23/23 at 10:24pm

I see more ads for Kimberly Akimbo on tv than any other show. I’m down south for the week and they’re on tv here, too. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#51Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/24/23 at 12:15am

Yeah, Kimberly doesn't really lend itself to these types of performances. It's sort of the same debate that happened around Tonys time. I feel like the only number that could stand on its own in this setting would have been "This Time" but probably the roller skating mechanisms would have been too tricky

As for the shows that actually performed, I thought & Juliet came off the best. Better than it did at the Tonys. Spamalot did fine. I agree Shucked was trying to do too much. I have not seen How to Dance in Ohio or Back to the Future yet and am interested in both but the performances (and songs) today were pretty lackluster IMO.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#52Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/24/23 at 12:47am

"SHUCKED" was my favorite performance and exactly what I predicted could happen, did. At the end Hoda promoted the upcoming National Tour.

Just give the world Love.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#53Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/24/23 at 7:36am

Not a great year for parade performances. How To Dance In Ohio's performance was the nail in the coffin for me deciding NOT to see it... the opposite of what I'm sure they were going for.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#54Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/24/23 at 8:13am

My rankings of performances

1. Shucked

2. A Beautiful Noise

3. Spamalot

4. & Juliet

5. Aladdin

6. How to Dance in Ohio

7. Back to the Future

8. Chicago

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Zeppie2022
#55Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/24/23 at 9:11am

I can't add much to what has already been said. The shows that performed at Macy's were ok, nothing blew away me and made me want to see any of the shows. I enjoyed the shows "Shucked" and "&Juliet" the most.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#56Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/24/23 at 10:56am

Akimbo has done no promoting since they won the Tony Award. Their grosses are borderline keeping them open. I have to assume a closing notice is coming soon.

What an incredibly embarrassing, stupid lie. And not acknowledging it while numerous people have proven you wrong? Highly amusing.

I loved all the performances because they were all fun but Shucked and the late lip syncing moments and Alex appearing like they didn't know where they were supposed to be was a little awkward. Loved Andrew and Josh, they should do that annually!

BETTY22
#57Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/24/23 at 11:32am

I think 'A Beautiful Noise' come across the best. It's hard for a new song, especially a new theatre song, compete with a massive pop hit that everyone knows.

chrishuyen
#58Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/25/23 at 2:03am

Just watched all the performances (except A Beautiful Noise which doesn't seem to have theirs online) and I thought Spamalot came off the best in terms of polish, cohesiveness, and general spectacle (I also liked James Monroe Iglehart much more here than I did when I saw it in previews).  I thought Shucked was quite good too, especially with the incorporation of the Green Giant, but their tendency of dropping Independently Owned into every performance always feels jarring--I wish they had Alex Newell at least walk towards the rest of the cast or something so it didn't feel as randomly out of place.

I think & Juliet was a good performance, but other than a song that people might already know and Lorna Courtney's vocal performance, I'm not really sure if it would necessarily entice ticket buyers since it didn't really show much of what the show was about (though they did have the costumes and choreo to showcase).

How to Dance In Ohio (which was a show I liked quite a bit) came off a bit lackluster here.  I wish they had more singing and maybe more of the actual Building Momentum song, or at least another song that really showcased the characters (though I liked the inclusion of the moms).  The main issue for me was that the choreography came off as amateur-ish (it makes sense in the context of the show, but not so much as a standalone performance), so it seemed strange to highlight so much of it.

I haven't seen Aladdin in a while, but was Michael James Scott just opting up on every other phrase?  It sounded like he was trying very hard to convey a powerhouse vocal performance, but I found it a little distracting and overdone.  But I guess there's the spectacle of the huge cast and costumes to speak for it.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#59Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/25/23 at 12:12pm

It's odd that A Beautiful Noise doesn't have their performance up anywhere. The show's fan Facebook page does though..(via a fan).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#60Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/25/23 at 2:49pm

A Beautiful Noise's video is posted under Latest News here on BWW now.

Just give the world Love.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#61Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/25/23 at 3:31pm

I would not purchase tickets for any Broadway show based on the parade performances this year.  But I did go to Cher's website to see if (just maybe) she was squeezing in the last of the last tour but no such luck. I thought she was great.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#62Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/25/23 at 4:31pm

Historically speaking, the best Broadway performances on the Macy's Parade are splashy production numbers that are as colorful and larger than life as the parade itself.

Its always going to be more challenging for a contemporary show set in simple modern dress to stand out, but I thought The producers of "Shucked" were smart to team their number with the visually interesting Green Giant float. It would have been wonderful if "How To Dance in Ohio" could have partnered with a corporate float sponsor to celebrate autism awareness. As it was performed, I thought the OHIO number got lost in the parade setting and felt underwhelming. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#63Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/25/23 at 6:23pm

uncageg said: "A Beautiful Noise's video is posted under Latest News here on BWW now."

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#64Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/26/23 at 5:37pm

RWPrincess said: "For BTTF, the only 2 memorable songs not from the movie are It Works and For The Dreamers"

When I saw the show for the first time, it was Gotta Start Somewhere and 21st Century that made the biggest impressions on me.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#65Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/27/23 at 3:33pm

chrishuyen said: " haven't seen Aladdin in a while, but was Michael James Scott just opting up on every other phrase? It sounded like he was trying very hard to convey a powerhouse vocal performance, but I found it a little distracting and overdone. But I guess there's the spectacle of the huge cast and costumes to speak for it."

More than a little distracting, if you ask me. While I'm impressed he could lip-sync to all his non-stop opting up, it was painful to endure, I just wanted the song to end. A shame because otherwise he could've sung it straight and be great, and let the costumes and choreography speak for themselves.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

emlo99
#66Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances
Posted: 11/27/23 at 4:16pm

was he really lipsyncing? He sounded so out of breath, wow.

Videos