News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Idina's Breathing

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#50re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 5:42pm

Ustadance, en inlgés, por favor.

Nevermind. Don't reiterate. I really don't want you to.

frizzle1288 Profile Photo
frizzle1288
#51re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 6:19pm

Okay, Again. I didn't say it was a terrible performance. In fact, I loved it. I love Idina and think she is amazing! It takes talent and guts to do what she did last night! She really does deserve the Tony she recieved, and I didn't mean to criticize her technique. And, ahem, she does have technique. She's awesome.

As for tennis, hahare: Idina's Breathing

#52re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 6:57pm

I think Liz Smith's cameo last night was wunderbar.

jezzebelle
#53re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 7:11pm

I don't find that she's shrill at all or that she screams. I enjoy her voice very much. I find Kristin's character voice she uses in the show to be annoying at times, though. Idina's voice is glorious and yes, she had an off night, for whatever reason. Different people have different tastes, doesn't make any one person the authority on singing. It's personal taste.

-Jess

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#54re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 7:16pm

I dont think that she screams either. The fact that she gets out of breath only shows that she is giving it her all. She is really singing her heart out. I commend her for it. She puts everything she has into it, and it paid off last night.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#55re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 7:40pm

She was a little nervous and emotional and it showed in her voice. At least it was not a phoned in performance. Would you rather hear a technically perfect lifeless song, or a version that shows the true character?

I have seen her perform many times and she does have an amazing voice. She also has to have a handle on the technique to perform a hard role 8X a week.

Her acceptance speech was the highlight of the night for me. I hate prepared speeches and you could tell she meant every word she said.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

tennis85 Profile Photo
tennis85
#56re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 8:04pm

What do you mean by "phoned in performance?"

"I'm gonna jump! Don't do it! Okay!"

Hello Gorgeous
#57re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 8:31pm

As soon as I decided to come back and visit the board, I knew this would be an issue. No offense, but people on this board can be so nit-picky.

In the time I had been away from the board, I have become a HUGE Idina fan. I have to admitt, she wasnt up to par last night, but having seen the show twice, I feel that her breathing "problems" were only from nerves. Idina was nominated in a category (for best actress, obviously) that has been said to have been one of the toughest races in Tony history. Yea, I'm sure the girl was nervous. So what if she performs the show 8 times a week and she "shouldnt be nervous"? Singing her show in front of a regular audience on a regular night shouldnt be that nerve racking for her. But singing in front of 6000 people (in house), and like someone said, 6000 people watching at home, thats probably very scary for her. Especailly since the competition was so stiff. And especially since the critics didnt think she'd win and she probably lost some self confidence because of that. And did you see the look on her face when they announced her name as the winner?

Total and complete shock, in my own opinion.

~*Christa*~ "Don't ya wanna be the life of the party?" Idina Menzel, THE WILD PARTY
Updated On: 6/7/04 at 08:31 PM

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#58re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 8:56pm

I'm not understanding why some of you seem to consider it SO important to analyze every breath, every vowel, very single note sung by an actress. She was REALLY nervous last night...that was obvious, and all of you people who are such experts on singing technique should have been able to tell that afterall... Updated On: 6/7/04 at 08:56 PM

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#59re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 8:58pm

Phoned in means just that. It is a performance that a performer just does out of habit because they have to.

Idina's performance was not.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

jezzebelle
#60re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 8:59pm

Not to answer for KCfan, but I think she meant that instead of turning in a flat, emotionaless yet techinally flawless and pitch perfect performance, Idina actually acted. :) If I'm speaking out of turn and that's not what you meant, let me know. :)

-Jess

tennis85 Profile Photo
tennis85
#61re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:04pm

Like I mentioned earlier, Cheno told Idina to sing like that.
hehehehehehehehe.

idinamenzelrocks899
#62re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:08pm

You guys are absolutely OUT OF YOUR MINDS

Idina Menzel has a kick ass voice...shes fking AMAZING...you are all so critical! Especially for a bunch of people who havent even made it to Broadway yet so NONE of you should be talking. You seem to think you know it all when you OBVIOUSLY dont..so get a life

tennis85 Profile Photo
tennis85
#63re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:13pm

Calm down, Idina clone. I'm just saying what Kristin told me earlier. She helps Idina with her songs. As a friend, you know.

idinamenzelrocks899
#64re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:23pm

how do you know kristin? and how do you know she helps idina?

NYCbabe3789
#65re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:25pm

Sarcasm...it's like a plague on this board.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#66re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:26pm

Her performance was terrible. That was not singing. That was screaming. I'm happy she won because she's usually a lot better. Maybe she was just nervous. After all, Tonya and Hugh also weren't as good as usual.

ShineOn
#67re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:31pm

Let's not make any assumptions... you know what they say!!! It makes an ass out of u and umptions. re: Idina's Breathing

I don't know about you, but I'm on Broadway every day.

...when I cross the street to enter the subway. :)

Seriously, you have have no idea who's posting here. I can assure some broadway actors are definitely among us. Let's not throw stones because people who live in glass houses buy a lot of windex and get dressed in the basement.

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

My Fair Lady
#68re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:32pm

By the way, since you just said you were on Broadway-ensemble, pseudonym or both?

NYCbabe3789
#69re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:33pm

I am perfectly aware that there are Broadway performers who post on this board. HOWEVER, nerves are different for everyone. I'm a performer myself and thought she had quite a few reasons to be nervous. Maybe in the same situation some one else wouldn't have been so freaked, and that's fine. And of course, the fact that she was nervous doesn't make her performance any better...I am merely saying that those who think she doesn't have a "right" to be nervous are being pretty harsh.

#70re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:44pm

"By the way, since you just said you were on Broadway-ensemble, pseudonym or both?"

She's more of a pedestrian, but she's worried that may make her views seem likewise.

My Fair Lady
#71re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:48pm

I thought so. And I perform (not professionally yet) and I know it's hard to compare and I'm a naturally shy person but stage fright has never affected any of my performances.

deeisadiva Profile Photo
deeisadiva
#72re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 10:09pm

"That was screaming."
That was your opinion....it is not shared by everybody...don't think for a moment that it is.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#73re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/8/04 at 10:37am

"Her performance was terrible. That was not singing. That was screaming."

Please explain. I've heard screaming many many times and Idina did not scream at all. Screaming was Carl Anderson and Ted Neeley in the national tour of Jesus Christ Superstar.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

FindingNamo
#74re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/8/04 at 11:00am

Carl Anderson, may he rest in peace.

That got nary a mention on these boards.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 6/8/04 at 11:00 AM

Videos