melissa errico fan
#50re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 7:25pm

I love Mandy's voice.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#51re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 7:26pm

Well, a lot of singers are like that. Like I said, he is an amazing actor and even though I don't like his falsetto I love to hear how he acts out the song just in his voice. And he has a good lower register. The musical that I like him best in is THE WILD PARTY because it is lower and "darker" than his other stuff.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#52re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 7:32pm

I think weak is the wrong word; soft, perhaps, but when he puts so much emotion into what he's singing (another thing he is criticized for), 'weak' is hardly appropriate.
And even if it is weak, doesn't that suit the character? Archie is tormented by his loss and has been grieving for so long that he barely is alive. TSG is one of my favorite Mandy performances.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#53re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 7:35pm

Well, I am not talking about JUST Secret Garden. I mean he does it in every musical he does. Yes, I agree it does fit the part in SECRET GARDEN but it still erks me. Not as much as others but still..... Ok, and I give you that "weak" wasn't the best word. "Soft" is better.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Becky
#54re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 7:45pm

It is not the performer's fault...it is the fans...

It's my opinion that there is a difference between evaluating Idina as a performer and evaluating the fan frenzy that surrounds her. I think some are being a little harsh on her simply because they are annoyed at the overzealous fans.

As someone who has seen her perform for 9 years now, I think we may have differing opinions of her as opposed to the people who have only come to know of her fairly recently. After seeing her through many major productions now, I don't consider her to be over rated for many reasons -- including her work ethic, vocal power, charisma on stage, versatility, etc. Those that don't agree? It's fine. But don't judge her based on the the platform the psycho fans have placed her on. And yes she has her share of those fans.....

billygoatgirl300
#55re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 7:47pm

I found it shocking that people here said Donna Murphy was overrated. I found her amazing in Wonderful Town even if it wasn't her full range.

As for overrated performers go I would have to say Idina. I mean she has a great voice but all the fans on the board here made her out to be like she was the greatest thing since slice bread.

The towel waving reminded me of a Per?nist rally. I kept chanting "Evita!" whenever they'd pan to the crowds. - SM2

Derech2
#56re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 8:13pm

I think Idina Menzel is overrated, but personally I don't think she should be labeled as such from lack of talent. I find her acting precise, heartfelt, and completely believable. Her voice can be beautiful, powerful, and emotional. But I think she's become overrated because of her cult following and sickening giddy fan girls (and boys) who worhsip her beyond the level of a goddess. Same goes for Chenoweth.

I'm not very familiar with Mandy Patinkin in general, but I found his Ché horribly overrated. Every time I listen to him on Evita OCR, I sit in disbelief of how they failed to find anyone better than him. His voice is more or less pleasing to ear, but to me it is anything but impressive. He communicates very little emotion with his voice, and there is no dynamic variation. Just my opinion though. I haven't heard him in anything else.

One performer I've seen but have no idea how much hype she has is Tonya Dixon as Fantine. Rather disapointing ...

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#57re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 8:16pm

Yeah...I wasn't saying that I thought idina was overrated because of her crazy fans, but that they are the ones who think she is a goddess...I think yes, she is a very talented woman, and has made a name for herself in new york because of hard work, but when people say that she "is the best singer they have ever heard" i cringe.

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#58re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 8:51pm

Greg Edelman - lifeless
Mandy Patinkin - shriekingly awful
Antonio Banderas - can't understand a word he sings
Patti LuPone - sings the role the same everytime
Ethel Merman - ouch! My ears!
Michael Crawford - Forbidden Broadway says it all
Matthew Broderick - boring
Nathan Lane - I really don't like milkers or people with really obnoxious nasal squeaky tones
Ben Vereen - not a nice person. VERY egotistical.
my God...I can make this list neverending...

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#59re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 8:54pm

kay if it's gonna cause so much trouble, Donna Murphy is not overrated..I'm sorry, I just didn't like Wonderful Town. Shoot me why don't you.

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#60re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 8:59pm

Then again...what IS your definition of overated?

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#61re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:04pm

I know this really isn't the proper definition for "overrated" but when I think overrated I think about someone who has been talked about a lot and admired, no, not admired, but really OBESSESD over and over-talked about, who turns out not to be that brilliant.

Just my opinion, see i was on this other board before when Wonderful Town came out and EVERYbody was talking about how amazing the show is, etc etc....

And I just didn't like the CD. I'll admit, I guess that doesn't make her overrated. I admit, I havent seen Donna Murphy in anything else, and I should be open-minded and judge not only on one performance.

Kay.

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#62re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:06pm

The show sucked.
Donna Murphy was brilliant.
Therefore, Wonderful Town is overated. Not Donna.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#63re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:08pm

ah. I dunno, maybe it just was the songs that bugged me, usually I agree when a singer does well. Maybe I should give Wonderful Town another few listens.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#64re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:11pm

Somethign I have learned.
You can never judge a performance by a cast recording.
You are only "hearing" what they can do, and you are not getting the full package.

I.e. People complain about Kristin Chenowith's voice being annoying. The majority of these people that complain are basing their opinion off of recordings. They have never seen her on stage.

Donna Murphy worked the stage and gave 200% in her performance of a half-assed hurried to finish script.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#65re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:13pm

::nods:: I get it now. I suppose Ill pick up a few of Donna Murphy's other works then figure it out. thank ya

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#66re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:14pm

Sally,

If you can, try and see her in the DVD of Passion.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#67re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:20pm

Anika Noni Rose. In my opinion, she is a good actress with a weak singing voice. I sat in the fourth row of CAROLINE - close enough so I could hear her "real" voice over the mic - not much there. Without the mic she may have been audible to perhaps the sixth row.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

FrontRow
#68re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:20pm

No, let's not talk about people without a shred of talent. Then you're equating overrated with bad...and there's an important distinction. Overrated is not a reflection of talent, it's a reflection of the praise received.

I think these people are overrated (NOT untalented):

Donna Murphy
Laura Benanti
Gavin Creel

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#69re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:21pm

Justice- I will def. be doing that, thanks

FrontRow- Gavin? really, how come?

Plum
#70re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:25pm

A few male performers- I'm not going to name names- get attention here that is far out of proportion with their accomplishments because they go to the gym on a regular basis.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#71re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:27pm

God save me from the verbal bashing that will come down upon me for saying this, but...I do not get the obsession with Adam Pascal. He has a good singing voice, not great, but is a mediocre actor.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#72re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:30pm

Priest, although I want to agree with you (the more I listen to his singing voice, the more I realise, it's really not THAT good), I have to say, he is a wonderful presence on stage. I wish I would have seen him in Aida. I wasn't into the Will Chase acting like Adam thing.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#73re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:33pm

Well, that is one of the reasons I was relunctant to say anything. I have never seen him live. Only from Cast Recordings and bootlegs.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#74re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:36pm

Priest, I agree with you 100% on Adam and for the record, I love Mandy.

Michael Crawford
Eden Espinosa--her shrieking kills me, kille me!
Amy Spanger--don't even get me started...

Videos