Best Overtures

Bwaybaby109
#50re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/5/05 at 11:58am

I didn't even think about Peter Pan! It has a kickin overture. West Side Story has a great overture/prologue! Also as far as prologues go...I love
Tradition-Fiddler
No One Mourns the Wicked
Into the Woods

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#51re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/5/05 at 4:37pm

Definetly Candide...but then again, it has an almost perfect score to begin with.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#52re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/5/05 at 4:41pm

Aside from the ones mentioned already which are all great by the way, the overture from "PROMISES, PROMISES" is a really great one also.

musicman117 Profile Photo
musicman117
#53re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/5/05 at 7:51pm

I also really like the Seussical Overture... especially how the tuning note is a part of it.

TrulyWicked
#54re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/5/05 at 7:54pm

GYPSY... oh and The Wizard of Oz has a really good overature too.

Brandon Profile Photo
Brandon
#55re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/5/05 at 9:31pm

MAMMA MIA!
WICKED
ARE THE BEST AND I'VE SEEN LIKE EVERY SHOW

Is it written in the stars are we paying for some crime is that all that we are good for just a strand of mortal time-AIDA THE MUSICAL

BSoBW2
#56re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/5/05 at 9:33pm

Les Mis and POTO

La Cage

VIETgrlTerifa
#57re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/5/05 at 10:35pm

Gypsy, Candide, and West Side Story.

In terms of openings that aren't really overtures,
Wicked, Into the Woods, and Fiddler on the Roof.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

Johnnytoc
#58re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/5/05 at 10:45pm

I Know this one hasnt been mentioned yet, but definitely Gypsy!

Others: Bounce, Producers

vbplayer Profile Photo
vbplayer
#59re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/5/05 at 10:49pm

"Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall"

Wow! I totally agree with you! I have thought that for years! Just never saw it posted before. Thanks for making my night.

And yes "Gypsy" is one of the best followed by "West Side Story"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Author Unknown
Updated On: 3/5/05 at 10:49 PM

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#60re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/6/05 at 12:13am

West side story
follies
candide
phantom of the opera
chicago

CostumeMistress Profile Photo
CostumeMistress
#61.
Posted: 3/6/05 at 1:15am

Avatar - Isaac, my blue-fronted Amazon parrot. Adopted 9/7/07. Age 30 (my pet is older than me!)
Updated On: 2/7/06 at 01:15 AM

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#62re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/6/05 at 8:07am

HELLO?!?!?!?!?!

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC has the best overture outside of a Jule Styne Musical...

WHY HAS IT NOT BEEN MENTIONED?!?!?!?!?!

Otherwise...the rest have been mentioned...

trpguyy
#63re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/6/05 at 5:38pm

To beat a dead horse...Gypsy. I got to play trumpet for this show back in December and MAN is that trumpet solo so much fun! The whole show is fun to play.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#64re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/6/05 at 5:59pm

Without a doubt, GYPSY is the best.

But ON THE TOWN is a close second.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#65re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/6/05 at 9:30pm

Hmmm...my favorites are
CATS
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
ME AND MY GIRL

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Sant
#66re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/7/05 at 5:21am

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

CATS

CHICAGO

WICKED

SUNSET BOULEVARD

leefowler
#67re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:18pm

It's interesting that the overture to "The Producers" made so many lists, since it really only exists on the cast album.The show version is much shorter. Overtures are out of fashion these days, I'm afraid.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

Princeton78
#68re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:28pm

I wish overtures were more fashionable.
It makes me mad to think of the overture-less shows that would have a great overture....shows like HAIRSPRAY, WICKED, MOVIN' OUT, AIDA, HAIR, GODSPELL, CABARET......

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#69re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:46pm

Well I hate to be a follower, haha

GYPSY is definitly the best, hands down.

Thoroughly Modern Millie is nice and peppy-love that one

Peter Pan's overture should be the Webster definition of MAGICAL

CHICAGO is very jazzy, i like that one

42nd Street is excellent

Judy Garland's Car. Hall overture is so good it's chilling

and I love the overture to The Wizard of Oz it is the #2 definition of Magical in that Webster Dictionary haha

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#70re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/8/05 at 9:16pm

When I was a child, my parents took me to see "Gypsy" at The Imperial with Ethel Merman. The overture was not only electric, it was the best I have ever heard. To this day.

I remember that the trumpet players were visable during the overture -- I guess they were on a riser -- and when they hit those first cords, it shut the audience up totally, which, back then was quite a feat. (People often talked through the overture).

Not Gypsy.

It is the perfect overture, with something from each of the food groups -- comedy, tragedy, dance, pathos... My father said he'd gotten his 6.50 worth and could have left right then.

Then Merman sang "Some People" and we realized the entire show would be a bonus after that overture.

Fabulous.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#71re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/8/05 at 9:33pm

Camelot

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Princeton78
#72re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/8/05 at 9:40pm

Ooh...I forgot about Camelot...nice one.

trpguyy
#73re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/8/05 at 10:21pm

The Overture to Gypsy was written before many of the songs in the show were even completed. The Overture was to be another musical number, not just something thrown together after the show was written, and boy is it amazing.

Bwaybaby109
#74re: Best Overtures
Posted: 3/9/05 at 10:45am

I just got the revival cast of Damn Yankees and the overture is pretty damn awesome!

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

Videos