pixeltracker

Reputable voice teachers in NYC?- Page 3

Reputable voice teachers in NYC?

#50re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 3/15/14 at 10:21pm

Michael Jacobs is one of the best voice teachers in NYC. I take from him in Astoria, but he also teaches in Chelsea. He is all about freeing the natural voice. He's also a great coach. I have been getting better audition feedback from my agent since I started taking from him. He's very honest and upfront which I really appreciate. He's MichaelJacobsVocalStudio.com
Michael Jacobs Voice Teacher NYC

kurt.perry41
#51re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 3/15/14 at 10:36pm

^^^^agreed. I work with Michael and it's a fantastic experience. It's more than just technique, which he's brilliant at, but it's how to act as a professional, what material is appropriate and what's important as an artist.

NotTheComfyChair Profile Photo
NotTheComfyChair
#52re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 3/15/14 at 11:39pm

I agree with many of the previous posters. Singing voice* teachers, like acting teachers, are a very personal thing. You need to find one who fits your working personality and with the voice that you have, or looking to have. If you find someone who fits and is good, then that should be your predominant criteria. Hard as it may be to hear, but the cost should be a lesser factor. The same applies to personal acting coaches, dialect coaches, speaking voice teachers, etc... You pay for what you get. Sometimes you can find a bargain, sometimes the "bargain" could lose you work.

* I tend to say "speaking voice" and "singing voice" as both sets of teachers call themselves "Voice" teachers.

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#53re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 3/15/14 at 11:56pm

Steve Potfora is great Vocal Coach on the Upper West Side and his students have appeared in New York in over ninety musicals on Broadway. He is good at picking and routining material and is a great pianist. I think his fee is $100/hr. Write him on FaceBook.

broadwayboy223
#54re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 8/20/15 at 8:07pm

Any suggestions? I'd like to take a few lessons when I come in October. I'm looking to take a lesson with Victoria Clark if she has time. Does anyone have her contact info? Her website isn't working

ahhrealmonsters
#55re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 8/21/15 at 12:11am

I never studied with her, but a friend recommended Lisa Howard several years ago. I don't know if she still teaches, but it's worth reaching out to her.

broadwayboy223
#56re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 8/21/15 at 12:17am

Okay thanks I'll look into it. Thanks for replying. Communication is nice LOL

broadwayboy223
#57re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 2/28/16 at 5:24pm

Does anyone know if Virginia Sandifur still teaches? 

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#58re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 2/28/16 at 6:39pm

Neil Semer is one of the best. His client list kind of tells it all.

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
#59re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 2/29/16 at 7:49am

I have found the amount a voice teacher charges and the quality of their lesson isn't necessarily congruent. I have paid up to $120 a lesson and the teacher wasn't as good (for me) as other teachers charging much less.  Also, there are some very famous singers who are not great teachers. I think you have to "click" with a voice teacher.

You can check out the New York State Singing Teachers Association website for a teacher. They list a lot of them.

Updated On: 3/20/16 at 07:49 AM

broadwayboy223
#60re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 3/2/16 at 9:03pm

This is a long shot but does anyone know who Christine Ebersole happens to study with? She just had one of the most gorgeous connected voices. (I'm also still looking for Virginia Sandifurs info) 

Jayar2 Profile Photo
Jayar2
#61re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 3/2/16 at 11:40pm

Coach-- Michael Lavine

Voice teacher-- Nomi Tichman

broadwayboy223
#62re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 1:27am

Sorry to be persistent. If anyone has direct contact info for Victoria Clark, or Virginia Sandifur please PM me. Also besides Joan Lader, is there another good Estill voice teacher in NYC besides her? 

KSobaskie Profile Photo
KSobaskie
#63re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 9/27/18 at 12:31am

Vicki Shaghoian ( www.vickishaghoian.com ) is amazing and has a ton of Broadway/TV/Film/Pop artists that study with her. I'm surprised more people don't know about her.  A voice lesson isn't just a voice lesson with Vicki -- it's a voice, acting, and life lesson. Worth every penny. And she often has some group classes going for technique and audition coaching if finances are tight. 

JennMac
#64re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/30/19 at 8:26pm

LongIslandMTGuy said: "Michael Jacobs is one of the best voice teachers in NYC. I take from him in Astoria, but he also teaches in Chelsea. He is all about freeing the natural voice. He's also a great coach. I have been getting better audition feedback from my agent since I started taking from him. He's very honest and upfront which I really appreciate. He's MichaelJacobsVocalStudio.com"

Yesssss! Michael is my favorite. He’s great with technique and coaching. He has basically changed my life. 

Videos