pixeltracker

Reputable voice teachers in NYC?

Reputable voice teachers in NYC?

The_Wolf
#0Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/20/05 at 1:36pm

Hi, there. I am looking for a reputable voice instructor in New York City. (Upper West Side preferrable, but not necessary...) I would prefer a male teacher who does a combination of lessons/coaching and doesn't cost an extravagant amount. If you know anyone who fits that description, could you please provide a name as well as contact info for the person? I'd be really appreciative. Thanks.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#1re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/20/05 at 1:42pm

I can only recommend Melissa Hart, and I hear that Victoria Clark is pretty amazing. Don't know any men.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#2re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/20/05 at 1:46pm

david sabella?

The_Wolf
#3re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/20/05 at 3:20pm

Contact info?

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#4re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/20/05 at 3:31pm

Victoria Clark teaches voice??

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

redhotinnyc2
#5re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/20/05 at 3:33pm

Well, that's what an acting teacher of mine said - he said he always sends his students to Victoria Clark if they need vocal work.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

allamarane Profile Photo
allamarane
#6re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/20/05 at 3:49pm

She does, and she does amazing work with her students.

"I know what the sunlight can be"

redhotinnyc2
#7re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/20/05 at 3:53pm

I'm not surprised. I'd love to study with her someday, when I can afford it.

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#8re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/20/05 at 6:57pm

How much does Victoria Clark charge? thanks

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

ShineOn
#9re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/20/05 at 7:14pm

Vicki charges $120 per hour last I heard. She's also not accepting new students.

Judy Blazer is AMAZING (and on the Upper West Side)! She charges $80 an hour, plus $20 for the accompanist. So, a grand total of $100.

Donna Lynne Champlin coaches, too, but I'm not sure she's accepting new students. You can always inquire about it through her website: http://www.donnalynnechamplin.com

I believe she is still charging $80. It may have gone up. I don't know. She may have taken a hiatus with Sweeney just going up. I wouldn't known, I haven't had a lesson in ages. However, if anyone is interested, I could find out for you if you PM me. I also have contact info for Judy's assistant.

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
Updated On: 10/20/05 at 07:14 PM

cathyhyatt
#10re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/24/05 at 10:28pm

holy crap I pay $60/hr and I thought that was alot.

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

gavrochegirl
#11re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/24/05 at 10:34pm

Vickie Clark teaches voice? Hm. Neat. But she charges a bit too much...the voice teacher that I will working with only charges about $50 an hour.

What the puck?!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/24/05 at 10:39pm

I would LOVE to be taught by Victoria.

But I am a guy, and if I was in NYC I would be going right to David Sabella. I saw him in Chicago, and he's AMAZING. He has one of the best falsettos/head voices I've heard on a man (you can hear him on the Chicago Revival cast recording.)

I've looked him up, and he is quite affordable to for an NYC teacher. Someday I would just love to go to him.

Broadway_Boy
#13re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/24/05 at 10:45pm

Tom Sandri is my teacher at a performing arts school. I know he teaches John Tartaglia from "Avenue Q." I don't know his contact info, but you could look him up online maybe.

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

heaja123
#14re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/24/05 at 10:52pm

broadway boy , i got to ur school , hahaha

wicked4life51 Profile Photo
wicked4life51
#15re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/24/05 at 11:17pm

liz caplan is an amazing teacher, teaches all the best and so is melissa hart worked with them both and adrienne angel bernadette peters coach is very good to work with oh and my favorite of them all would be Jone Lader so look up their names but shes my favorite (i might have spelled her name wrong but i lover her )

"what? what is it? do i have something in my teeth? ok lets get this over with : no im not seasick,yes ive always been green, and no i didnt chew grass as a child "

CJR
#16re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/24/05 at 11:38pm

Donna Lynne Champlin is a vocal coach, but I'd imagine she's hella busy these days with Sweeney

*edited to add that I just saw that someone beat me to it*

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Updated On: 10/24/05 at 11:38 PM

Jarrod
#17re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/24/05 at 11:56pm

Does anyone use Tania Travers? I hear she is very good. She works with a few NYU'ers and she's Idina Menzel's instructor. I hear she get like $175 per hour. I'm sure Idina's plug on the Tonys didn't hurt either.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#18re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/25/05 at 12:02am

I'd also recommend Adrienne Angel,
I was in a production of Urinetown with a 16 year old playing Penny and she was PHENOMENAL
Her voice coach? Ms.Angel

The_Wolf
#19re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/25/05 at 12:32am

What is Sabella's contact info?

Bdwy24
#20re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/25/05 at 1:47am

Judith Farris is pretty good too. She charges $120/hr. She teaches/taught Matthew Broderick, Jeff Denman, Donna McKecknie and more. She helped Donna get through her vocal trouble.

makenzimarciano
#21re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/25/05 at 9:35am

I've worked with Tania for a little over 2 years now. For my voice, she's amazing. However, she's currently charging $200 an hour for her new students. There is, as you can imagine, a huge waiting list (and has been pretty much since Idina screamed her name out in her Tony speech, lol) so she's not accepting any new people to work with in the near future. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :)

"Every blade of grass has an angel that bends over it and whispers, "Grow, grow." ~The Talmud
Updated On: 10/25/05 at 09:35 AM

nydirector2
#22re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/25/05 at 9:45am

Just because they're famous or have had famous students in the past doesn't mean they'd be right for you. Also, make sure you match up with someone who will take the time to work with you and treat you as a student/person rather than an extra bit of money. Also...make sure you go to someone who teaches who can teach your voice. The best voice teachers I know tend to take the instrument and develop it from there, using unique tools for each individual student. Some teachers, however, feel that their method is the best and only way to sing. This can end up being very damaging to the voice and your self esteem. For example, until I got with my current teacher, I was taught as a baritone(I'm actually a tenor), was not breathing properly, had a very small range, and was embarassed to sing.

Victoria Clark's first and foremost a teacher. She's been teaching a good while and was going to start a studio at one of the colleges in New York before Piazza took off.

AngActing Profile Photo
AngActing
#23re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/16/07 at 2:36pm

This is a really old thread . . . but I think it's good to up-date it from time to time.

So, here is my update to this thread!

I have to agree with NYDirector2.

I also was given a novel idea by my voice teacher! If you wish to contact any voice teacher . . . yes, try recommendations from friends and "the phone book" in your area!

As someone stated to me . . . it is odd how people think everyone has a website. Some teachers and business people stick to the old tried and true way of just having a listing in the phone book in their town!

Love and Stage Lights, Angela Theresa
Updated On: 10/16/07 at 02:36 PM

Rigazzi2 Profile Photo
Rigazzi2
#24re: Reputable voice teachers in NYC?
Posted: 10/16/07 at 3:34pm

I'd have to look for their contact info, but SALLY WILFERT (RIDICULOUSLY talented, charming as all get-out and amazing at making things just make sense) is a DREAM, and I've heard nothing but good things about MICHAEL FORMAN (a dear man with a fantastic library of music). Sally taught me voice while I was there and her insight and technique just blew me away. I love, love, love her. She's a fantastic performer, as well, and has quite a resume.

I've known folk who have studied with Michael Forman. He's currently working at Yale but he might still be in the city part-time. I'm not horribly sure.

Videos