Tarzan Review!

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#50re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:17am

Wow...I always thought Jenn was younger.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

TheOneAndOnly
#51re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:18am

On the CBS website from when Josh was on Star Search, it said he was 21 in January of '04, so he's got to be 23 now...but he seems older.

neddyfrank2
#52re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:20am

What was the young tarzan costume? Was he any good, how much of it was he in?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#53re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:22am

yeah he is hairy
didn't expect that
and that Dredlock wig
did u take pics in the theatre
that is so rude
in the cartoon
Tarzan has a smooth Body
i quibble

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#54re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:22am

It sounds fantastic, but I'm not really likeing the sets and costumes from the pictures though. Bet it looks great in person though. :)

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#55re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:24am

Young Tarzan also wears a loin cloth and dreds, and a lot of dirt. He was fantastic, and was in for about half of the first act, and then for another number in the second towards the end.

I was sitting mid orchestra on the left a little.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#56re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:28am

Compared to Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Aida - how would you rank the shows (accepting the fact that this was a first preview)?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

CurtainPullDowner
#57re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:31am

Jenn's costume and wig look not so good
But i Love the Set shot
and those Chorus costumes look great

magic168
#58re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:32am

Quick question: Would you prefer Row A or Row H if you were me? The question is based on all the speculation about "straining your neck" to look up if you were too forward!

Thanks! It must've been so exciting!

TheOneAndOnly
#59re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:32am

I don't think you CAN rank them---just because they are Disney doesn't make them equal in other aspects. They are very different shows, they all have their pros and cons. I liked this a lot more than the BATB musical, whereas when it comes to the movies, I don't like Tarzan.

YankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
#60re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:33am

I know....way WAY premature, but just judging from tonight, of Josh, Jenn, Merle, Chester and Shuler--who has a chance at a Tony nomination??

"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#61re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:34am

Oy, I have to compare all the Disney shows?

Honestly, I don't want to compare them until this opens, because I think there will be a lot of work to tighten it up and make some changes. Ask me on May 10th. :)

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#62re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:38am

Well, in general I would say Row H (orchestra, right?). But I love sitting in the front row, and now that I have seen it once from mid orch, I will be doing the lotto a lot in the future.

And I hope Jenn gets a Tony nod (but if you know me, you know that I am quite biased towards anything to do with ASU). But I don't know and don't want to speculate until after I have seen Wedding Singer, Drowsy Chaperone, and Lestat. So give me a couple weeks on that one and I'll have them all covered.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#63re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:38am

why does tarzan look like a drugie?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#64re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:40am

liotte, thank you so much for posting all of your thoughts about the first preview. i am seeing the show in a few weeks and am very excited.

how was everyone at the stage door? was it a mob scene?

TheOneAndOnly
#65re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:41am

Nominations----who knows?! That would be a total shot in the dark. I'll just say that the role of Jane doesn't warrant enough for lead actress (I love Jenn either way), but that I HOPE Josh gets nominated, you could tell he put his heart and soul into his work, and it absolutely paid off.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#66re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:42am

also, what merchandise were they selling? is there a poster already?

YankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
#67re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:42am

Good to know. What about for featured roles--Merle, Shuler, Chester?

"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#68re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:44am

I agree with Jenn for featured role. The other parts might be too small for it....

The stage door wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, they had a barricade set up though- maybe 50-60 people. But everyone was nice about signing and pics.

They are selling posters, a few t-shirts, key chains, pencils with flags on the end, pre-order CD, a couple other things I think.

CurtainPullDowner
#69re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:45am

well the Bob Marley hair for One
and the goofy grin
which is kinda cute
but the loin cloth is too low for his body type
They all look glad to finally get to be in front of an audience
Gotta be hard work

Me2 Profile Photo
Me2
#70re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 1:45am

MERLEEEEE!!!!!!!

#71re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 2:10am

Im sure there's a theme park ride already in the works..ah Disney

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#72re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 2:23am

If it's a big green roller coaster that is supposed to be like flying and flipping and swinging through the trees, count me in.

I'm going to bed, I'll answer more questions tomorrow if people have them. And the pics got deleted, sorry if you didn't see them!

#73re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 2:54am

Thanks for the review and have a good night! Well Disney...spectaculars...special effects...pretty much synonymous. I'm not surprised! LOL! I'm interested in seeing all this "cirque du soleil" such in action on the stage though. :)

So besides the acrobatic tricks, are there any emotional/heart-tugging moments in the show that standout, in your opinion?

Thanks!

~Rosalynn

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#74re: Tarzan Review!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 4:12am

I'm still trying to get over the fact that Tarzan looks so out of shape *sniff* all my king of the jungle fantasies are ruined.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos