pixeltracker

Cast albums that were recorded but never released- Page 3

Cast albums that were recorded but never released

timote316
#50re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/27/06 at 12:35pm

The backing for BARE was recorded, no vocals. And, I'm not sure it was all recorded, but I know at least some was.

AuditioningWaitress
#51re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/28/06 at 1:50pm

I've often wondered that to Scottie310. Maybe they feel that it's too much money to manufacture, promote the CD, etc.

Now, we iTunes and other download sites, they really don't need to package a CD, so hopefully some things will see the light of day.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#52re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/28/06 at 3:01pm

The way it was explained to me by one label exec, in addition to recording costs, maufacturing costs, sales and distribution costs, each quarter the labels must pay royalties on every CD in their active catalogue - even if that CD has not sold one single copy in that quarter. This explains why some slow selling titles are deleted so quickly.

In some cases the recording is made but it is cheaper NOT to release it than to go to the expense of mixing, mastering, pressing and releaseing a CD that might sell only a few thousand copies.

In some cases there were objections: Noel Coward apparently did not like the cast on Columbia's BITTER SWEET recording and asked the label not to release it. They could have released it anyhow but since he was one of their recording artists they bowed to his wishes.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#53re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/28/06 at 3:12pm

frontrow, thanks for this awesome information! You're awesome at this stuff!

I personally think Lestat will be released because of Elton John and Anne Rice. Fans of both will definately get it.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird
Updated On: 5/28/06 at 03:12 PM

frontrowcentre2
#54re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/28/06 at 3:23pm

LESTAT has been recorded. The question now is whether it will get released or not now that the show has closed, with no prospect of a tour or regional productions to fuel future sales.

Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#55re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 5/28/06 at 4:17pm

I meant to say released, my bad.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

frontrowcentre2
#56re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 7/12/07 at 3:46am

I see the interest in LESTAT has dwindled to nil.

Sadly a number of flop shows have been recorded and released to diminishing returns. This will discourage labels from recording other failed shows, some of which may contain outstanding scores.

In the 1950s and 60s Columbia Records used profits generated by MY FAIR LADY to finance a number of classical and Broadway cast albums that might have otherwise been missed.

It would be great if Decca would make more cast albums using some of the profits from WICKED and SPAMALOT and SPRING AWAKENING (not to mention their historic OKLAHOMA! cast album that sold a million copies as a set of 78 RPMS, millions more on Lp, and over 80,000 units on CD!)

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#57re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 7/12/07 at 3:52am

Was "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" ever recorded?

sondhead
#58re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 7/12/07 at 4:03am

"Shelter
Smile
Tom Sawyer
Ring of Fire (it was recording, but not officially announced...hopefully it will be released)"

Smile never recorded a cast album. The recording people often say is the "unreleased cast album" is a demo of a version of the show that didn't even play Broadway.

frontrowcentre2
#59re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 7/12/07 at 4:13am

Apparently a "cast album" of TOM SAWYER was done for MTI to send out with other show materials, but it is not available for general purchase.

Updated On: 7/12/07 at 04:13 AM

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#60re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 7/12/07 at 4:15am

That sucks because our theatre is doing it next season and I want Tom Sawyer, but I haven't heard the music...

frontrowcentre2
#61re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 7/12/07 at 4:45am

If your group gets the materials from MTI maybe they will let the cast hear it?

I do not know what happens with those privately made cast albums. Normally the cast is paid a week's salary for each day in the recording studio, but I wonder if they get paid if the disc is not released. Does anybody know?

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#62re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 7/12/07 at 5:18am

The West End production of Napoleon was apparently recorded in it's entirety before it closed, but has never been mixed or released.

Did the National Theatre's production of 'Ghetto' receive an official release? There is a professional recording in existence, but I'm not sure it was ever available in shops...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#63re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 7/12/07 at 6:57pm

Wildhorn's Dracula

Poster Emeritus

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#64re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 8/20/11 at 1:39pm

"In some cases the recording is made but it is cheaper NOT to release it than to go to the expense of mixing, mastering, pressing and releaseing a CD that might sell only a few thousand copies."

Allegedly, this was the fate of the Lovely Ladies, Kind Gentleman recording, sadly. I hope someday to see it available.

Napoleon came out eventually, I believe.

Great thread! Just came across it in researching something else entirely. Google perpetually leads me back to BWW.

With Irma you gotta do something!

sam_n
#65re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 8/21/11 at 7:35am

I'm still hoping that the complete recording of "One Touch of Venus" does get released someday. It's a shame that the only available recording of this score is the truncated Mary Martin version. Have any of the Sadler's Wells productions in London ever had a cast recording? I wish they had recorded the cast of the Sadler's Wells production back in 2005.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#66re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 8/21/11 at 10:17am

This was and is a great THREAD.

Recorded and released on LP is the 1950's musical DONNEYBROOK with the amazing Susan Johnson. Is there a possibility that it will ever be released on CD?

The information about the brilliant John McGlinn was fascinating. I treasure the complete SHOWBOAT that he recorded. I believe that he is no longer living. Am I right?

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#67re: Cast albums that were recorded but never released
Posted: 8/21/11 at 10:25am

Yes, Maestro McGlinn passed away two years ago.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Videos