LA Wicked sit down

TicketBoy
#50re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 1:33am

Not to mention, Eden is a Southern California girl. If this is all true, I can't wait to see her in the role in LA since I missed her when I was in NYC.

COOOOLkid
#51re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 1:45am

Of course Broadway/LA wants to make money, but seriously, I'd HATE to see any shows play at the Wilshire or any other smaller theaters... I mean, Shubert Theatre is already gone, and the only other decent theatre in LA is the Ahmanson...

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

#52re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 1:56am

PS..the Pantages DID have The Lion King as a sitdown for quite a while.

BlueStarGirl
#53re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 2:20am

It *seemed* like The Lion King was at the Pantages forever, but it ran there for less than a year.

Honestly, the Pantages could very well be the place for a Wicked sit down. I personally hope not because I'd like them to continue Broadway LA and think that would be more sucessful, but, um, no one asked me.

smartperformer
#54re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 10:16am

I spoke with Victoria Matlock in Cleveland this week, and she said her contract is up in December but who knows what will happen. When someone asked if she was taking over she said as of now she's only on thru December, but of course it would be lovely. Classy answer.

So its not definite that that Victoria is leaving, and after seeing her performance last Sunday night (July 2nd) I have to ask of other fans and folks who saw her, why isn't she booked already for next year? All I can do is a write my letter to the production team in hopes of helping this young stars continued success.

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#55re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 1:24pm

Yay for Eden! I saw her in 2004 on idina's filming break.

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#56re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 2:45pm

Pantages may have historic value to Hollywood, but I think the Music Center of LA is more appropriate for a sit down production of Wicked. I think Phantom of the Opera (with Michael Crawford ) played a little over four years at the Ahmanson. (Crawford didn't play the full run, but most of it.)

AshleyBrownFan123
#57re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 2:47pm

I agree Adam Chris that the Ahmanson should play Wicked. The Pantages should house upcoming tours like Wedding Singer and Jersey Boys. The only problem is no plays can play the Ahmanson. Of course, that is why they have the Mark Taper!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#58re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 2:53pm

"Phantom of the Opera" holds the record for the longest sit-down production ever (in L.A.). I believe it was 5 or 6 years, and it was at the Ahmanson Theatre which is usually home for many of the "hot hits" coming into town.

During that Phantom time, which was unexpected in its length, they had to re-route the pre-booked Ahamanson season to other theatres. They started the "Ahmanson at the Dolittle" series, which basically transferred all the small to medium-sized shows there. (The Dolittle is a nice theatre along the lines of a SMALL Broadway house.) The larger shows were re-routed into the Pantages. And a couple (the Fiddler tour with Topol, and the pre-Broadway Gypsy with Tyne Daly) were sent "across the pavillion" to the Dorothy Chandler.

I'm not sure how far out the Pantages is booked now, but since they don't have a regular series of incoming plays the way the Ahmanson does, they should be in better shape to handle the Wicked sit-down. And this time, they probably know it's going to be around for a while. How long? Who knows. L.A. is NOT a big, regular theatre-going town. Shows can come in and cause quite a stir, but they don't LINGER the way they do in NYC. As I said "Phantom" holds the record out here, at 5-6 years. That's a "drop in the bucket" these days in New York.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 7/7/06 at 02:53 PM

vontusslegirl87
#59re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 2:54pm

Toronto needs a WICKED sit-down!

la la, la la! you'll be popular! just not quite as popular as ME!

#60re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 3:03pm

And from a conversation I had with an Ahmanson board member lo those many years ago, PHANTOM would have played longer (maybe STILL) but they were forced to close for overdue remodelling of the theater.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#61re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 3:07pm

Yeah, I remember they had to tear apart the Ahmanson stage floor to add all those trap doors, hydraulics, etc. for the rising candelabras.

The remodeling was mostly backstage and under it, but they were hell-bent on recreating the NY/London "theatrics" completely, so they shelled out the bucks to pay for the remodeling before AND after the show.

Webber did that with the Winter Garden too. They hand to pay to change it at both ends of the run.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#62re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 3:17pm

If the "Wicked" sit down in LA is happening (as it looks to be,) it's going to be at The Pantages.. it is the only theater that the production team has even considered, and it is where the show will be housed.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#63re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 5:19pm

Megan is probably 25. When she first started her full-time run as Glinda I remeber she did a Boradway.com Fresh Face and, then it said she was 24.

SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice Profile Photo
SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice
#64re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 10:28pm

I ran into David Stone earlier this year and he told me that the Pantages was the place, but there were still many conversations had to take place before it was set.

I believe the Pantages will be the spot. And Ana G. will be Elphie.

"Bad theater is better than no theater" Some smart guy.

#65re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/7/06 at 11:59pm

I agree that the Pantages is most likely the venue for the sit-down production, although I'd rather have it at the Ahmanson. I think the acoustics at the Ahmanson are so much better than the Pantages.

It's too bad that the Ahmanson's 06-07 season is already completely booked.

If Wicked stays at the Pantages for a while, I hope more of the popular tours make their way to the Ahmanson then. I'm not particularly excited about the Ahmanson's upcoming season and don't want to trek all the way down to the OCPAC or San Diego for tours LA isn't getting (such as All Shook Up).

HatBoy
#66re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/8/06 at 12:49am

FACT: Eug, you're full of sh*t.

...now under the user "aawolfe".

immortalbroadwayLA
#67re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/8/06 at 1:15am

I don't think I was living in LA at the time Ahmanson had Phantom as a sit down and I'm really surprised to hear that it did. Taper-Ahmason is a regional producing company..I think a lot of partons would be very dissappointed with a sit down.

Not to discount the info in this thread, but for those who have the inside scoop on LA Theater how could there be a fully schedule '06 -'07 Broadway LA season and a scheduled sit down?

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#68re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/8/06 at 1:47am

Last I checked, I do not see anything officially scheduled for the Pantages after Lion King, which ends in early January, 2007.

For shows in January - May 2007, Broadway/LA is using other theaters for shows in the beginning of 2007: Legends and Altar Boyz are going to the Wadsworth, and Bee is going to the Brentwood Theater. Interestingly, Bee is a limited engangement in LA beginning in late May - so I have no idea how long that will run at the Brentwood.

Again, the source I have is someone in the orchestra pit. He has no info on who will be involved in the production, only that in fact there will be a sitdown at the Pantages (he said first quarter 2007). He is just hoping to get in on the extended run.

BroadwayLA Schedule

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#69re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/8/06 at 9:29am

i would love to see Idina & Kristin reunite for the LA production, though i realise that many people would disagree that theyre too old or they want to try new things, but megan hilty to open the LA show would be a great idea!

although i think Ana Gasteyer was really good in the Chicago run, if she was picked for the LA run, wouldn't she be a bit too old then seeing as she'll be 40 next may?

renthead333 Profile Photo
renthead333
#70re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/8/06 at 12:41pm

This might be a little off-topic to the LA Sitdown and since you guys have good insiders i was jsut wondering what the word is on the next Broadway Elphaba?

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#71re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/8/06 at 12:50pm

Renthead, i'm guessing Kristy Cates. Kristy is great but,PLEASE stop recycling people.

renthead333 Profile Photo
renthead333
#72re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/8/06 at 1:22pm

If Kristy goes I would be so happy! I do know what you mean about recycling the stars, but Kristy is too damn great! I have never seen a better Elphaba! What a talent!

AshleyBrownFan123
#73re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/8/06 at 1:33pm

best12bars, the farthest the Pantages is booked is Lion King at the beginning of January.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#74re: LA Wicked sit down
Posted: 7/8/06 at 1:40pm

All inside information aside (this is purely hypothetical,) the most logical pick for the next Broadway Elphaba is Ana Gasteyer.

She has let it be known both to the public and to the powers that be that she is itching to get back into the show (she really wanted the LA sit down, but that looks as if it is going to Eden..) She also worked with Kate Reinders in Chicago, and I am sure that would be an entising factor for her to pursue the job.

In regards to what the previous poster said... I felt Ana was too old when she played the role in Chicago, let alone doing it again. She isn't my favorite Elphaba (I felt her singing didn't do the score any justice and she lacked commanding stage presence,) but she acted the role very well and is a name of sorts, so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if she returned.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Videos