pixeltracker

Jukebox Musicals You Would Actually See?- Page 3

Jukebox Musicals You Would Actually See?

mpw607
#50jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 6:23am

I've just been researching videos of British Invasion groups on YouTube. Second only to the Beatles and the Stones, the group that struck me as pre-eminent in terms of songs and really polished performance: The Hollies. Some really great videos.

I don't know how interesting their life stories are, but it'd be great if they could get a Jersey Boys style treatment rather than a Mamma Mia.

rockfenris2005
#51jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 7:13am

To the people who said Meat Loaf,

Jim Steinman, the legendary, off-the-wall writer and composer, wrote many of his biggest hits & conceived the BOOH trilogy.

However, you're in luck, because there is going to be a major earth-shattering spectacular some-time next year, "BAT OUT OF HELL: THE MUSICAL" (or as he calls it, "BAT OUT OF HELL: THE EPIC, LIVE ON STAGE!") which will be staged in a theatre especially designed and built for it, featuring death-defying motorcycling & BMX stunts, flying Russian wizards and a corps of amazing dancers from all around the globe!

Terry Jones, of Monty Python, is co-writing the script with Steinman - which is based on his big life-project, "NEVERLAND" - and Terry Gilliam (Monty Python, Brazil, The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen, 12 Monkeys, The Brothers Grimm etc.) is directing.

There is also going to be a movie.

So, you are in luck jukebox musicals you would actually see?

From what he said, it will feature 15 songs mostly drawn from the 2 BAT albums, and three new originals. The last song, big finale closing number, is "WE'RE STILL THE CHILDREN WE ONCE WERE", a haunting new song that will be recorded FIRST by "The Dream Engine" (new group that Broadway's Rob Evan is a member of)

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#52jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 8:02am

I have this friend who's a documentary filmmaker but also a collector of... well, strange and unusual record albums, and he's fascinated by the idea of the jukebox musical. So periodically Randy will send me an email saying "Wouldnt it be cool to have a j-m based on this?" For example, the work of Rae Bourbon, this drag performer who actually worked with Mae West (You can see Rae in some of the scenes in Mae's early films) and had the most fantastic life story of anyone to come out of Hollywood. It really is a show waiting to happen.

Or an old TV show called the Banana Splits, which has a cult following on the level of any Star Wars geekhood. For those who might not know (as was the case with yours truly), the BSs were Hanna Barbara's take on shows like The Monkees, and some of the music produced for the series is pretty amazing.

Finally, under the category of "Why Hasnt Anyone Thought of This Before?": the Village People. CANT STOP THE MUSIC: LIVE!!!

Okay, I'll stop now. :)

http://docandraider.com

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#53jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 8:42am

IT'S GONNA BE ME: The 'N Sync Musical

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#54jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 12:03pm

Love to see Weird Al or Jacko.

kover22 Profile Photo
kover22
#55jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 12:37pm

LMAO I loved the Banana Splits! I even had the 45 record that came off the cereal box!!

I have RSD...but it doesn't have me!!!!

mejusthavingfun
#56jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 12:39pm

Hmm also the Archies, and I would love to see the Jessica & Ashlee Simpson story with Dad.

JarNerdAV Profile Photo
JarNerdAV
#57jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 2:42pm

None!

On second thought...if they turned the Carpenters into a jukebox musical...and then they somehow managed to raise Karen from the dead to star in it...I'd go see it for sure.

But then I guess it would be considered a concert not a jukebox musical...so I guess I stand by my original assessment...

None!

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#58jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 2:56pm

havingfun, it would be interesting to see what was done with a Weird Al musical...

Other than that, I can't really think of any that would be...good. Jack Johnson, maybe? Only I listen to his music to fall asleep, so I don't think you'd want a theater full of sleepy people.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie

mejusthavingfun
#59jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/6/06 at 4:01pm

Has there been a Carpenter's show yet? There is a fantasic movie called "Superstar" made with Barbies directed by the Todd Haynes. Would love to see that make an off-broadway debut.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#61jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/15/06 at 11:33pm

I too would see a Carpenters show and a Carol King musical which I believe is happening next year.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#62jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/15/06 at 11:34pm

billy rae cyrus? are you kidding? :barf:

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

acityofstrangers
#63jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/19/06 at 3:24am

Umm... Remember when jukebox musicals are taking over broadway?

Seriously.
Just listen to the album and make up your own plots.

Jukebox = EVIL

mejusthavingfun
#64jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/19/06 at 12:26pm

Well now we still have to stave off the flood of lame-movies turned-musicals-written-by-hacks, or good-musicals-with-game-show-contestants, revivals-from-the-not-too-distant-80s&90s (Les Miz,Annie, Side Show, Chorus Line, Sweeney, Grease) or - and one-man-shows-with-wanna-be-triple-threats or a combination of them all!

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#65jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/19/06 at 1:20pm

Ben Folds

They Might Be Giants

Rufus Wainwright

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

bill mobley
#66jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/19/06 at 1:31pm

"Fifth Dimensions" (They did a lot of Laura Nyro songs). I picture five African American characters, chosen in the same way the characters were chosen for the tv show Charlie's Angels, because they just look good.

Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir

Somebody mentioned Joni Mitchell. A good choice. I can see somebody doing a rather nervous rendition of "People's Parties" on stage.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#67jukebox musicals you would actually see?
Posted: 9/19/06 at 4:23pm

The Supremes
Loretta Lynn
Lesley Gore
Duran Duran
Barry Manilow

Videos